Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Post-release)

About the only thing i'd have sided with a plot hole on, would be things that were described in previous novels. You simply can't expect an audience to read a book, let alone 3-4 to get what they're missing. Add a paragraph to the scrawl, maybe? I don't know...leaving out that the republic signed a treaty with the Empire/FO, then began to disarm and moved their capital to another system, and the resistance is the group who is keeping an eye on the FO is the kinda thing you ought to know. At least IMO. All could've been covered in the scrawl or a few lines. That said, i can live with having to look it up and it didn't ruin anything for me either. They're questions i wanted to know the answers to afterwards, but didn't affect my enjoyment at all.

Anything else is subject to being withheld for a reason - like explaining in 8 or 9 and KNOWING that this isn't a one film deal and that it is 1 of 3 you HAVE to allow for that.

yes... I couldn't agree more. we can't always have everything spelled out right off (and often shouldn't). Sometimes the questions make the experience richer because it invites you to ponder while we're waiting for the next film to come.

....what? How did it "rob me of MY imagination"? I don't get where you even got that out of what I wrote. I said that some of the complaints of the Huff Po writer were over things that TFA intended us to FILL IN WITH OUR IMAGINATION. So where in that did I say or imply that I had lost MINE? Sometimes I wonder if you're reading the same things I'm writing.

LOL :lol

I'd always hoped that Obi-wan and Padme had a roll in the Bantha hay...

I had hoped that a part of Anakin's fall would come from jealousy of Padme and Obi-Wan whether real or just contrived. Whereas in the OT, you have well...siblings and Han but up until the end of ESB, I really don't think Luke would've tried to steal Leia while Han was frozen so siblings or not, it would've made a nice umm, opposite plot for the PT.

I had hoped that a part of Anakin's fall would come from jealousy of Padme and Obi-Wan whether real or just contrived. Whereas in the OT, you have well...siblings and Han but up until the end of ESB, I really don't think Luke would've tried to steal Leia while Han was frozen so siblings or not, it would've made a nice umm, opposite plot for the PT.

It felt like Lucas walked riiiiight up to the edge of really and truly making Anakin jealous of Obi-wan in a sexual/love triangle way with the whole "Liar, you were with him!" or whatever on Mustafar, and the earlier "Was Obi Wan here?" in the apartment...but like so much of the PT, it's just never really dealt with. Just kinda hinted at and thrown out there and then...nothing. Shame.

Look, I'm not saying SW is just for kids, but sometimes it's at its best when it is. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 78
It felt like Lucas walked riiiiight up to the edge of really and truly making Anakin jealous of Obi-wan in a sexual/love triangle way with the whole "Liar, you were with him!" or whatever on Mustafar, and the earlier "Was Obi Wan here?" in the apartment...but like so much of the PT, it's just never really dealt with. Just kinda hinted at and thrown out there and then...nothing. Shame.

I completely agree.

Look, I'm not saying SW is just for kids, but sometimes it's at its best when it is. :)

Very cute. These days Star Wars is a huge part of bonding with my son. I've never had him repeatedly ask to see a movie at the cinema again and again. He's never wanted to and that alone for me makes this movie a success. He's like I was with the original and I'm seeing myself as a kid again in him. Seriously he's glued to the screen with each viewing. Here's us a few months ago at our local theme park on a star wars day. :)

image.jpg

...it's a plot hole -- in a film world in which we know R2D2 can be forcibly made to reveal his stored data by human owners -- for the Resistance to never have tried (or, not been successful at) accessing data they knew from past experience R2D2 almost certainly had...

At no point in the film is it suggested that R2 had the rest of the map. In fact 3PO tells BB-8 that it's doubtful that he would have it. When R2 "woke up" and projected the map it was a surprise to everyone.

Actually, even "Y-Wing" came from behind-the-scenes stuff and the Kenner toy and MPC model kit. All we had in the actual film was "Rebel ships". :D

A PA announcement in the hangar says "stand clear for X-Wing liftoff." :)
But yeah, no one says Y-Wing in any of the movies!
Not an EU invention, though, it was named that early on in the design phase.

And how long before "TIE Fighter" was said in a film? ROTJ?

Last edited:
When fan editors get a hold of the deleted scenes they'll be an extended cut. Plus you know the 20th Century Fox Logo opening fanfare will be added by someone as well.

About the only thing i'd have sided with a plot hole on, would be things that were described in previous novels. You simply can't expect an audience to read a book, let alone 3-4 to get what they're missing. Add a paragraph to the scrawl, maybe? I don't know...leaving out that the republic signed a treaty with the Empire/FO, then began to disarm and moved their capital to another system, and the resistance is the group who is keeping an eye on the FO is the kinda thing you ought to know. At least IMO. All could've been covered in the scrawl or a few lines. That said, i can live with having to look it up and it didn't ruin anything for me either. They're questions i wanted to know the answers to afterwards, but didn't affect my enjoyment at all.

Anything else is subject to being withheld for a reason - like explaining in 8 or 9 and KNOWING that this isn't a one film deal and that it is 1 of 3 you HAVE to allow for that.
You are so right. That is a perfect example of them forgetting how to tell a good story. They spent so much time being self conscious about the relationship this would have to the audience that they didn't step back and ask the big question.

In addition to a lack of storytelling regarding the political atmosphere, they also missed the boat on artoo and the map. We needed a bit more there. As it stands, it looks like Droid ex machina

The other plot conveniences that bother me is the proximity of maz' castle to the hosnian system and the convenience of han finding the falcon the minute they take off

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

There was heaps,yes. It's a great example of cgi done right apart from a couple of shots I didn't feel were right. It was a great mix with the practical sets and props too. It was pretty easy to spot all those shots mentioned though. Some things in the movie just could not be done without cgi. The practical sets were what I liked best though. Next to the digital Falcon. Damn that was pretty and should set the new standard. :)

Ben

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back