Cyclops Sunglasses - X-men Apocalypse

nick daring

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
New trailer 100% shows that these seem to be Ray Ban Wayfarers with big sideblinders surrounding all the exposed edges.

lightened.jpgglasses.jpg3.jpg

Funny thing is that 80's era Ray Ban sunglasses didn't have the logo on the side like they do now. Just the little metal ovals.

80's Era Wayfarers-
s-l1600.jpg

Modern Wayfarers-
vi012-ray-ban-wayfarer-2140-sunglasses.jpg

One other note is that there are 3 different Wayfarers at this point-

Model RB 2140-- "Original Wayfarer"
Model RB 2132 -- "New Wayfarer"
Model RB 2039 -- "Wayfarer II"

Which is the correct Cyclops sunglasses? Hmmm... Research time!

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 4,667
Last edited:
I actually work as an optician and we've got all sorts of wayfarers in, I'll take a look tomorrow and see which one looks closest. I don't know, I think they look closer to the 2132 than the 2140, the 2140 seems to extend down the cheeks further than the pics show. There's a member on here that says he made the ones for the movie so hopefully he chimes in here.

Here's a comp with the 2132's on top and the classic 2140's on the bottom.
glasses2.jpg

I think the rivet might be the biggest visual tell. The The new style have a short stubby rivet. The classic has a longer skinnier rivet. It's still a tough call. The lens shape feel more

Hopefully even better film pics will show up shortly and we can see how exactly the sideblinders fit onto these new glasses.

Another comp-
glasses4.jpg

Here's a good side by side comparison of the 2132 and the 2140.

15_09.jpg

F6prl.jpg

Attachments

• 2132.jpg
    2132.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 1,319
  • glasses3.jpg
    glasses3.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 461
  • glasses4.jpg
    glasses4.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 667
  • glasses4.jpg
    glasses4.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 1,062
Last edited:
The blue section/sideblinders seems to be one piece that snaps over the frame from behind, that's the impression I got from the top photo. Look pretty sweet, they look easier to make/modify than the DoFP Radarlocks lol

I've been able to get a perfect replica of the lenses made a bunch of times. I can't see Rayban selling replicas of the prop version since Oakley wouldn't release them for various safety reasons, but it's always possible they're going to. I still think it's the smaller Wayfarer, the amount of frame above the top of the lens just looks to be too much on the original.

That's a shame! I was hoping that would remain an easy option for the foreseeable future, or at least until the movie came out and we got better reference.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back