Iron Man Mark V foam template WIP

I was working on the boot and leg of the model when I saw the temperature was going to be a balmy 45F this weekend. I quickly cut the forearm pieces out of 3mm craft foam sheets and swung by Lowe's to get a can of red Plasti Dip. I would definitely want to give it a thin layer of a darker red later, but for now, it'll do.

I found a tub of metallic acrylic paint at the craft store I had to have and now have a use for it! Dry brushing it on gave a nice brushed metal look. I don't know if this is the appropriate silver finish for an Iron Man suit, but I'm happy with it. The cuff of the forearm was painted without sealing and the elbow was painted after sealing it with watered-down glue first. The piece that was sealed ended up a with a much smoother brushed finish, so obviously that was the way to go.

photo 3.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 1.JPG

Sealing was done using my patented glear glue method. It allows the foam piece to be sealed, but still stay flexible as needed for folding and bending. In this case, I sealed them while flat, but then assemble them into the larger forearm sections to be painted without worrying about them cracking. Worked well.

It was colder than what would be optimal, but I still managed to Plasti Dip outside, then bring the pieces inside and let them dry in my bathroom with the fan on. It gave me some not-optimal texture on the Dip, but this forearm piece is more proof of concept anyway.

Then I cut out the little struts and painted them, mixed some black paint in with the silver to create some contrast, painted the joining pieces and then glued everything together.

photo 4.JPGphoto 5.PNG

I'm kinda mixed on the thinner foam. I wish there was more of the "depth" that I always talk about. I would probably want to use thicker foam in the future. 3mm is fine, but on the thin side. The plus side is that the template works, and while I'm skinny, there's plenty of room in the forearm for thicker people. So there you go.

Great work :thumbsup
For paint colours I would personally use Bordeaux Red Metallic paint and Silver Metallic paint.

Hey, friends.

I've always wanted to make an Iron Man suit, but I haven't seen an awful lot of my favorite one, the Mark V. Probably because of how complex it is, probably because there just aren't any real Pepakura unfolds or templates for it.

I did a lot of searching for a good model or template, something I could use without starting from scratch. Balmung's model seemed like a great place to start.

[Iron Man 3 armors] 3D models release(For reference or Foundation)

It's really the only Mark V pep out there, but doesn't have any detail, except for the texture file covering it. The model itself was extracted from the Iron Man 3 mobile game, so it obviously couldn't be too detailed.

View attachment 564644

The model is the basic shape of the Mark V, but doesn't have edges that line up with where the armor pieces would actually be cut out. If the edges don't match up, you can't unfold it with the proper shapes to cut out.

FatMan had a thread where he printed out the template as-is, then cut out the foam pieces by tracing the textures out.

Iron Man Mark 5 FOAM WIP [updated Files!]- FINISHED Suit on pg 5!

Great idea and turned out pretty well. There is some messiness to it, and I know if I did it the same way, it'd be a hack job. I'm just not very good at customizing on the fly, so I know it'd be better if I had a straight forward template to follow.

Minha única solução é usar minhas habilidades limitadas de Maya para editar o modelo do jogo e criar um desdobramento de espuma que pode ser construído como qualquer outro traje do Homem de Ferro. Não sou muito bom em modelagem, então isso pode levar algum tempo.

Eu fui em frente e editei uma das peças mais simples, o ombro, para poder mostrar rapidamente o que estou tentando.

View attachment 564645View attachment 564646

e então a espuma se desdobra.

View attachment 564647

Bastante simples e nada importante nos ombros. Apenas traçando a textura e puxando a forma Mark V do modelo básico. Uma vez que eu comece a entrar nos braços, tronco e pernas, é quando isso vai começar a ficar mais complicado.

Vou tentar mostrar a construção da espuma ao longo do caminho. Nunca estou totalmente confiante em um arquivo pep até que eu realmente o construa e tenha certeza de que funcione.

----------------------

--Braço completo desdobrado para espuma--

View attachment 577030

http://www.4shared.com/file/LS038Tyf...linE83_Fo.html

View attachment 564644

View attachment 564645

View attachment 564646

View attachment 564647

View attachment 577030
Fazer have a New link for downloads?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back