Studio Scale Kit Part SWAP-SHOP

Vacformedhero

Sr Member
There used to be a children's programme in the 70,s called Noel Edmunds Swap Shop, really fun programme but the amazing bit would be kids would call in and say something like " I have a six million dollar action figure of Steve Austin and I want to swap it for an Evil Knevil kenetic bike" and eventually some kid would ring who wanted the Steve Austin and they would arrange the swap.

Has anyone tried setting this up for studio scale modellers,
for example I am collecting kits for the 5 foot falcon, while I am building my stock pile , I'm sure there are parts I have that I don't want for example the detail engine piece used on the top of the X-wing behind Artoo from the 1/24 airfix hurricane.
I need the 8-rad chassis for the falcon details. I don't intend building the probe droid ship, so I could swap the vehicle body for the chassis detail ?

I think the format could be
Offered Part: insert image of the part so there are no ambiguity about it being the wrong kit
Wanted parts: Again include section of the model with part highlighted .

initially when someone joins the thread they could list some items they are after :
in my case
Five foot falcon, B-wing, A-wing

the model pieces should be lighter than resin castings so postage fees should be low and both parties win, reduced kit purchases.

this could be a little like top trumps in the school yard where someone may not know the value of a part they have, but people can always pm the individual if the feel they shouldn't let something go for their model .

from a security standpoint you shouldn't use your own address for deliveries in case someone would be bad enough to phish info from here to get studio scale models.

is there anything else anyone sees wrong with trying this ?

I got your 8rad chasis and would like the 8rad upper hull.

On my list are also the A and B.

I like the idea. Lets go for it. When I'm back from holiday i'll put my wish list on here.

I have six kits lying around and dont plan on building the 5ft but the 32" at some point. So i could probably offer more parts. Only thing i'm worried about is swapping parts that i would need in the future since i havent collected all info on all my future projects yet.

I got your 8rad chasis and would like the 8rad upper hull.

On my list are also the A and B.

I like the idea. Lets go for it. When I'm back from holiday i'll put my wish list on here.
great , let's kick it off and see how it goes,

krokohunter , the reason why it may work again is I see people doing this casually within threads anyway , let's see

I started a thread like this and it did work a little. Happy to try again as there are pieces I'm looking for too and it can be a pain buying a whole kit for two parts.
Plus I have tons of parts left over.

L

I think a thread like this would work best ( and sustain life) if it was able to be pinned at the top of the page.

I have six kits lying around and dont plan on building the 5ft but the 32" at some point. So i could probably offer more parts. Only thing i'm worried about is swapping parts that i would need in the future since i havent collected all info on all my future projects yet.
Offering castings would be a better option.

Sent from my SM-N915W8 using Tapatalk

Offering castings would be a better option.

Maybe but personally i wouldn't be interested in castings of parts other than the super rare kits like the Entex Porsche and off course the Sea Lab.

Still hoping for Jason or someone to cast the Sea Lab in the wake of the failed attempt to retool the original kit.

For the other kits i would really prefer to stick to styrene. But why limit the thread to one or the other.

No , any quotes I've had for castings to me have had exorbitant shipping costs , which I put down to the weight , at least with plastic parts they are a hell of a lot lighter .
Oh, I didn't think there was big difference in weight unless you're talking large or solid castings.

Last edited:
Most kit parts cast in resin are not going to weigh significantly more than the styrene masters. BUT, most people do not appreciate all that goes into getting good casting at small scales. RTV and resin is not cheap. Making the molds takes lots of times. To get nice castings of kit parts almost requires a vac chamber and a pressure pot. You will not get rich doing it once you factor in how much your time is worth. I have offered parts in the past and made a profit, but I only offer parts that I am doing for myself anyway so I was willing to eat the costs of the molds if the parts did not sell. I would bet you are running into a seller who is trying to profit via increased shipping fees, not cool.

I must also comment on the parts swap idea. I used to be idealistic and think it was a good idea, but over the years I have become more jaded. There are always more takers than givers. Not to mention we all place different values on parts. I wish you luck and would participate if you get it to work, but only if someone gives me a super rare part in exchange for my common left overs. ;)

Yeah you bring up the good point about fairness , really the individuals involved have to be comfortable about giving up something that potentially they might need in the future for something they want to build now.

i doubt I can let any 1/12 mclaren pieces go , too many needed for falcon,
but I do need Ferrari 1/12 flat twelve engines for my mandibles ......so what about casters getting in on swaps, swap engine castings for something they need ,
i would like to leave it as flexible as possible but I would insist that the deal is struct in the open and that the offered piece is a photograph of what you have , not an online shot, with a shot of the kit box to confirm the kit .
pms only after the swaps are confirmed and addresses are being swapped.

not only will we potentially get kits we need but we will learn a lot about what kits are used.
ill post mine soon .

I've cast a buttload of parts for an xwing build. I need the bits off the 1/24 harrier. If anyone has any castings of that and if I have anything you may need.....

I can help you with castings of the Harrier parts.
I am missing for my X-Wing build castings of the Shiden parts and of course the infamous sealab :)

I can help you with castings of the Harrier parts.
I am missing for my X-Wing build castings of the Shiden parts and of course the infamous sealab :)

Awesome. Ive made a few casts of the shiden parts. I also am needing sealab bits. I've been hunting around for a full genuine sealab kit to buy but no such luck :(

BTW I'm also located in the UK, so postage should be cheaper.

i also just remembered i needed that holgate brick sheet. Bugger.

Last edited:
Awesome. Ive made a few casts of the shiden parts. I also am needing sealab bits. I've been hunting around for a full genuine sealab kit to buy but no such luck :(

BTW I'm also located in the UK, so postage should be cheaper.

That´s great regarding the Shiden parts! Would be great if we can exchange parts.
Here are the Harrier parts:
harrier.jpg

made a few for my droid strip.
Send me a pm to work out the details!

I have ended up getting quite a few kits as reference for the Death Star modules, which at the moment, just sit in boxes in the shed. I can never say that I want to get rid of them, or that I won't ever want to undertake a studio scale model, but it always seems a waste that they aren't being used.

People on this forum have given me so much in terms of information on parts ID's and reference photos, and I feel like I can never give anything back in return.

I am willing to get parts moulded and cast from the kits I own if anyone wants them, for free, as long as they don't 'abuse' the gesture, and realise that I don't have all the time in the world, and I'll send them out at the cheapest postage cost I can find.

I don't have any of the 'super rare' kits, and this won't be for the people who want actual kit parts, but I guess every bit helps!

I'll try to put together a list of kits I have (they will relate to the Death Star Modules), and I too hope this thread can get sticky.

minifig

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back