A novices Deagostini Falcon

Re: Scared of my Deagostini Falcon

I'm going to echo what was said earlier... Just friggin' go for it! It's the Falcon, you really can't F' it up. The more you work it the better it'll look. And worse comes to worse and you don't like something, paint over it!

Some of my weathering jobs I've been the most happy with over the years I was sure I was messing up as I was doing the!

Craig... you have no need to be scared... just do your homework first. Don't just jump on it and hope it comes out alright. Watch some of the online build videos and read some of the build logs here. Find some good reference material and plan your work. That's called Zen Modeling... where you think about modeling instead of actually modeling. Think about the materials you need and gather them together. Think about how you will start and gather reference pics. Make a descision about how you want your final ship to look. Do you want it to look very realistic or just your interpretation. Don't RUSH into it. You've got plenty of time to plan your attack on this beauty. In the end, you have to be happy with it... no one else. Don't strive for perfection unless perfection is what you are after... but if that's what you're after it will be a long long long journey. Just make a descision and stick with it... you are on the best forum on earth to find answers to questions if you need help during your build. Everyone here is willing to give you advice and give you a hand! Don't be afraid to ask questions... don't be afraid to show that you don't have the experience that many have here... that's why we are all here... to share our knowledge with everyone else. I know I love helping people out... it makes me happy! :)

My first piece of advice is start from the beginning and do it when it's almost complete , by the time you paint the top you'll be better than when you did the bottom ... Practise on blanks or models or scraps but honestly the continuity of your work will be far greater if done closer rather than in long stages

Just advice though

Hi
I've built and painted a few models over the years. And they haven't come out too bad in my opinion anyway. Lol
I've subscribed to the Deagostini Build the Falcon and I've received up to issue 26
To be honest I'm frightened of ruining it.
The largest model I've built and painted is a 1/48 Finemolds X wing so to paint on such a large canvas is quite intimidating
Especially after viewing the threads on this very site.
Any tips or suggestions please?

MAKE IT!!

To be any kind of model maker, if you want to improve your skills, Make the Models that scare the f#ck out you!

Were is the challenge? were is the want? Were is the need? To build anything that is only suitable to your current principles, standards and capabilities.

If you restrict your self, to the easy road, while hoping to better yourself as a model maker, then your wasting your time.

If a kit makes me question: - Can I do this? Should I do this? Is This is beyond my skills? Will the final product be insult to what it should be?

....."Then that is the model you must build""!. Because that's the challenge, That's the 'Want' to be good model maker.

Even if it turns out as a piece of crap. Cause with every thing we build, everything we make, increases our knowledge to be good makers.

BE AFRAID OF THE MODEL, BUT NEVER BE AFRAID OF THE CHALLENGE, OR KNOWLEDGE YOU WILL GAIN FROM THE CHALLANGE.

Only after building a good challenge, even is it doesn't work out, you would still not have failed.

Last edited:
Re: Not quite so Scared of my Deagostini Falcon

OK
I've manned up and made a start.
I've decided to paint the hull when finally complete rather than do it in sections
So I've began work on the cockpit and hold.

Wasn't going to bother too much with the interior, but I decided to scratch some extra details for practice as much as anything.
Not screen accurate, just wanted to add a little interest. I'll be purchasing the Shapeways cargo and bar stools at a later date
ZxhtWXM.jpg

emGazmS.jpg

qAcgXhw.jpg

Last edited:
Craig, Really nice work so far! The weathering and shading is looking great. The one suggestion I would make is not about the modeling but the photography. See if it's possible to take pictures without the flash, using artificial light of some kind. Since the flash comes right from the camera it tends to flatten and wash out details.

Keep posting!

Yeah sorry about the bad photos, my partner has a high end SLR type digital camera that I have no idea how to use. Doh! So I just use my smartphone. Have to get her to take some shots for me.
Thanks for the kind words

Looking good.

also another thing to avoid flash is step back further then zoom in - if you have an optical zoom. Digital zoom makes little difference but optical zoom works great.

Jedi Dade

First turret done.
Was gonna do them both at the same time but due to Deagostini messing up my subscription. Don't know when I'll get the parts.
Anyway, used Paragrafix decals, old guitar strings and sheet styrene.
Not perfect by any means but better than stock. Not gonna see much anyway.
qWrsZC0.jpg

0iVyFIo.jpg

HbYPS3f.jpg

Last edited:

You should be able to pick up the Hasbro Hero Series Millennium Falcon (AKA the BMF) for peanuts compared to the Deagostini. Its similar in size, so you can practice on that before moving on to the much more expensive model.

Excellent suggestion. You can practice weathering/painting techniques until your ready to paint the Deago Falcon. It's your model. You paint and detail it the way you think it should look. We tend to pick apart the kit pointing out all the inaccuracies with possible fixes. Try not to get bogged down in the endless criticism of the kit. You can pick and choose what mods you want to do. It's a great kit and can be built OOB and look stunning with out any mods. Remember it's how you envision it.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back