Samurai Jack is back in March 2017

Boy, this newest episode ended on a good note. It was just hitting the paces for me for the most part but how it wrapped up was unexpected and left me smiling.

Can't stop humming either.

Hmmm...

Dunno how I felt about it ending as it did and feeling really mixed on the season as a whole. When they marathon the final season back-to-back next week, I'll have to watch it all in one sitting to see the entire story arc play out and reconsider my feelings then. As of right now, I'm glad that it came back to wrap things up but I'm not sure if it did it well enough to warrant having come back at all.

SamJack has never been about its stories and the strongest ones were few and far in-between, even in the original series. It's always been known for its strong visual element and pacing to compensate for what it couldn't do narratively due to its original episodic nature for re-run potential. So with 10 episodes, they really had to make it count...

...and it just fell short, for me.

The pacing is really rushed (especially towards the end), uneven tonally, and the strong action and visuals weren't much there either. I have quibble's with Aku's replacement actor, often sounding like Speedy Gonzalez crossed with Peter Lorre, but the biggest gripe I have with Aku in this new season is it doesn't show what a great threat he actually is. Even in the original series he was a goofball but there were episodes where it showed off just what a great menace he ultimately is. The comeback series never really had that and it all culminated in a pretty flaccid resolve.

I understand the crew (many of them the original people who worked on the show at the start) had a small window and budget to work with but this series showed off the weaknesses of the original show and, more than not, enhanced it by spot-lighting it.

In short, I liked it came back and it got a finale but I'm left bummed by feeling empty at the end of it all. Hopefully, this final season had enough good ratings to bring Genndy back to CN with full-force and he works on making something even better with more freedom (Sym-Bionic Titan, I'm rootin' for you).

Last edited:
Yep, the entire thing was wonderful.

I'm so glad there's an ending, and a quality one, now. Previously, the "last" episode was the only one I didn't like, about Jack dealing with a screeching infant.

Yep, the entire thing was wonderful.

I'm so glad there's an ending, and a quality one, now. Previously, the "last" episode was the only one I didn't like, about Jack dealing with a screeching infant.

Here's a couple cool backgrounds from this season. FB friend pieced them together from framegrabs.

Attachments

• 18556904_10154339954966854_1876140678013002518_o.jpg
    18556904_10154339954966854_1876140678013002518_o.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 18156767_10154292421761854_2932769549560669229_o.jpg
    18156767_10154292421761854_2932769549560669229_o.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 42
Sat through the marathon and I still feel more or less the same. In fact, I'm positive they could've cut out Scaramouche's subplot after he initially "dies" and cut out those call backs (save for the finale) and the effect still would've been the same at the end, if not better for it. With that open time, parse it out to build atmosphere and Jack/Ashi's relationship rather than cram and rush it all at the end. The comedy relief would've worked better too had it the time to really nail the drama.

Still, will be picking up the rumored artbook and dvd when they're released. Eagerly waiting for what Genndy and co. does next now that he's back on TV.

Complete series on Blu-ray dropped today and already it's out of stock. No artbook but I can wait on that.

Yeah,I had it preordered, to be delivered today. As of midnight, it still hasn't shipped, so I called Amazon. Turns out, it was more popular than they realized so I was bumped to their next shipment which had me getting it on Nov 28. I ended up just cancelling it. My plan is to hit Best Buy this afternoon since they have it in stock & have a price match guarantee.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back