In honor of Roger Kastel's ESB Theatrical Style "A" Poster

MasterEdi

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
... In 1979, book and magazine illustrator Roger Kastel created, in my opinion, one of the most beautiful and special images in the entire SW universe. Lucasfilm had approached him to create a poster image for the 2nd SW movie. Kastel was riding the success of his iconic "Jaws" poster which he had created for Spielberg in 1975. His original concept involved Luke on his Tauntaun, with Vaders menacing, looming face behind him. Lucas liked the image, but it was suggested that he create something that would incorporate Han and Leia based on Tom Jung and Howard Terpnings epic re-release poster of "Gone with the Wind". So from this came Rogers awesome first rendition style "A". It is without a doubt my favorite rendition, and favorite movie poster. Interestingly, the original poster was pulled because Billy Dee Williams was not on the poster, and contractually that was a no-no. So Kastel did another version with Lando, Boba Fett, Hoth guns and Cloud City in it. Another one even had Yoda in it. These were all great, but sometimes less is more... And my heart always goes back to Rogers original masterpiece (the 3rd image)....

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

So with this history complete, I decided to dust off my paint box in an attempt, I repeat, ATTEMPT, to recreate Mr. Kastel's epic image. I am not a painter with Roger Kastel talent, but I do appreciate great painters and their paintings. So here goes...

... From what I can determine Roger Kastel's original painting of ESB style "A" is in George Lucas' private collection. But as I was scouring the internet I came across a image of a transparency of the original....
image.jpg

... Most every thing I could find on Mr.Kastel's poster illustrations from this time period appeared to be works on board 20"x30". Looking at this image, it's hard for me to tell what he painted on. It could be illustration board or even Watercolor paper mounted on board. Hard to say. It definitely was masked off on the borders though, so I started off the same way...
image.jpg

...Next after creating a minimal grid, I somewhat loosely drew in a few of the main elements...

image.jpg

... After drawing, I started painting... I'm using Acrylics (they dry really fast) ... I start out just trying to cover my board with a mixed black. The goal is just to cover my board with background colors as quickly as I can... I use a mix of dark red, dark green, purple, and dark blue to mix my black, comes out better than tube black for this kind of work.
image.jpg

.... Next, I start blocking in some forms... Still trying to just cover over most of the white board. Once I do that, it will become easier to adjust everything...
image.jpg

... It's cool to start seeing objects starting to appear, even though it's rough.... Refinements can come later...
image.jpg

... One last blaring bit of stark white to kill...
image.jpg

Im very happy with this one day's worth of work... I have a loooonnnggg way to go, but it has started well.... May the Force be with me... (I'll need it)

... Hopefully my pics will be right side up next time too!! Haha.... Damn computer phones!:facepalm

Last edited:
Wow ... great insight story on the original posters ... I never realised about Boba and Lando lacking in the 'A' version ... and you sir have some great skills trying to copy it :)

Chaim

P.S. Once you double click on the pictures they not only increase in size but are also turned 90º for a perfect view.

Great post and I am especially happy to know that you're a Kastel fan because he's a mostly forgotten doyen of the trade - even though his poster art is considered some of the very best ever created.

You're correct in assuming that the original art is in George's collection. George is a fabulous supporter of his artists - although he's VERY selective - and he has purchased original art from some us from time to time and although some of it is carefully stored in the archive buildings, the rest of his art collection hangs in the hallways in the Lucasfilm offices at the Letterman Digital Art's centre or alternatively up at Big Rock ranch.

Although you say that you don't have Roger's skill (who does?) your process in working this piece up is pretty accurate and its great to see you explore the medium and the composition in such an interesting way.

Congratulations on your progress so far, I look forward to seeing more as you go along.

High regards
MARK

... Thank You KramStar for kind words above, and the insight.... I haven't had much time in the last month to work on this as I had hoped, work and other projects took priority. But here is an update. I feel good about it so far, but still a ways to go yet.
image.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back