Arkham Knight Batman suit painting question

Nemesis9

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello All,

I know painting questions have been answered many times, but I want to make sure I get this right the first time, so I figured I'd ask the pros. I'm building the suit mentioned above, from EVA foam. I've seen different techniques regarding paint/sealing, so I'll take any advice I can get. Do I have to heat seal the foam before Plasti Dip, or can I get away with jumping right to Plasti? Another question, I've seen people use Plasti Dip without using the PVA/Mod Podge technique. Dose anyone have experience going that route? And last question, after I Plasti Dip the suit, do I have to use a primer if I'm using acrylic paint? I've seen a few people go right to the acrylics without a primer. And if I did prime, does it matter what primer I use if I'm not using spray paint, but rather acrylic? I don't mean to ask 6468168 questions, but my perfectionist/OCD side got me going crazy with this part of the project!! Thank you all in advance for any and all input.

- An eager rookie

If you skip the PVA and go straight to Plasti, the piece won't be as smooth, but more flexible. The PVA sort of fills the pores of the foam, making a smooth-ish surface, and resulting in a more rigid piece. You don't have to heat seal the foam, but it's a good idea, especially if you skip the PVA. I don't have experience with acrylic paint, but I just went straight from Plasti to spray paint.

Bogleo's right, and I'll piggyback off of what he was saying. I always prefer to use Plasti instead of PVA to give the piece more flexibility. If you use PVA, the paint will be more likely to crack if you move around too much. Here's what I would do: Use a heat gun to start sealing your foam, then Plasti-Dip it. After that, I would go straight to the gray you're planning on using on the armor, and then weather it by hand with silver spray paint and an old washcloth. Does that help?

I have tried several techniques and have found that heat sealing in conjunction with 2-3 layers of mod podge, then layered with about 2 coats of platidip followed up with acrylics works by providing a strong/smooth surface and retains decent flexibility. I've been doing gauntlets and belts using this method and haven't noticed any wrinkling of paint. However if the piece requires extreme flex then you might want to leave out the PVA. I however haven't run across a piece that required that much flex in my builds.
my suggestion would be to try a couple different methods using test pieces of foam to see what your happy with.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back