Kylo Ren Black Series Helmet Mod

Jamestan

These are the modifications I made to my Kylo Ren Black Series helmet, I was surprised how detailed and close it was in terms of proportions and details to the anovos. I originally just planned on modifying the wavy plastic visor into a mesh visor for better visibility, closing up and filling the seams, and fixing the cheek hole details (V1). After I finished V1 I couldn't help myself, so I kept going and matched the layered look of the front and jaw areas (v2).

DSC00580.JPGDSC00583.JPGDSC00584.JPG
Here's the seams closed up, then I sanded the whole helmet and painted it adding the weathering details after. (V1)

DSC00588.JPG
I lined the inside with foam and neoprene to make it more comfortable. This also removes the need for a head band type like in safety hats set up inside. The foam and lining makes its plenty comfy.

Kylo G.jpgKylo F.jpgKylo E.jpgKylo D.jpgKylo B.jpg

I re-sanded and repainted the whole helmet. I added some fine sand I ground from a fire brick since it was nice and soft and sprinkled it while the paint was still wet, brushed off the excess, paint, then repeat until the whole helmet was evenly textured. This was repeated about three to four times, then I sanded it back down to match the stony look and feel of the anovos without being too much like sand paper. I then painted it with a few more coats of matte black then a flat clear coat. Weathering was done after the paint had cured.

Kylo 16.JPGKylo 15.jpg
I embedded neodymium magnets in the front to make the top most front layer removable, just in case I decide to make the larger version of it. All the parts that I added to the helmet actually came from the helmet itself. I used the plastic parts that held the batteries and speakers that was inside the forehead part of the helmet. I cut and sculpted the pieces to fit the various parts they were supposed to go on so that as much of the helmet can still be taken apart for further repairs or modifications, they were then plastic welded in place.

Kylo 13.jpgKylo 14.jpg
I filled in the holes that the button parts left using the buttons themselves. I cut just the top most parts of the buttons on the band-saw and welded them in place, I then added material to the underside to reinforce it and sanded the outside flush. I didn't want to use bondo to fill the gaps as bondo tends to crack where it meets the abs since abs is inherently more flexible than bondo so I just welded abs using cut offs from the helmet itself to make sure that its the same type of plastic. The same was done to the top where the battery compartment was, weld the top seam, weld the underside, then fill and reinforce. I used the battery cover itself trimming off the underside to make it sit flush inside.

Kylo 1.jpgKylo 3.jpgKylo 5.jpg

Here's a closer look at the mesh visor, the nose bridge part of the inner most chrome layer was built by welding a plastic piece to close the gap and then shaped using cotton to add volume and melted abs layered on top to reinforce it's shape this was done a few times to get to the right shape. I then sanded it down and shaped it some more. I then carefully coated it in aluminum tape to try and match the chromed plastic, and weathered. I might re-do this part again as the seams on the tape aren't as nice as I want them to be, but that's easy enough to do later on.

Kylo 6.jpgKylo 7.jpgKylo 9.jpg
Here you can see the cheek holes, removing the little plugs from the cheek holes and correcting the shapes of some holes and adding holes that weren't there at all was done with a dremel. There were still visible holes where the chrome part and the nose part met so I also plastic welded small pieces on to cover the holes up. The rest were covered by either the foam lining or the black plastic under piece.

Kylo 8.jpg
The texture and paint on the black lines on the forehead was also painted to match the anovos, with the speaker holes filled up with epoxy. I just mixed in the same fine brick dust I used for the rest of the helmet with the same matte black paint.

Kylo 10.jpg
The upper jaw part with the four lines were made from parts from the helmet itself after the original piece was cut out. This piece actually extends a few inches further back towards the rear to match the way it looks on the anovos. Simply attaching it to the sides gave the wrong silhouette to the helmet so it attaches further up on the neck.

Kylo 11.jpgKylo 17.JPG
After cutting out the top most front layer layer barely any of the rectangular details were left so I had to weld plastic pieces to extend it further down and then the rectangular holes were shaped and sculpted with more abs and welding. Welding extra plastic to this layer made the bottom chin parts thicker and more rigid and gave enough room for me to embed magnets into the front.

Kylo 12.jpg
Here's the layers from a top down perspective, and that's it.

Last edited:
This is a very nice conversion. I've been on the lookout for the black series helmet myself, but haven't found any yet. Solid inspirational work. Cheers!

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

As I said before, phenomenal work. Using your ideas as inspiration for my own build, with a few tweaks here and there.

Did you cut down the battery compartment where it sticks inside the helmet before welding it in? Mine is only for display so I left it in, but I'm thinking of removing it just in case I'd ever like to wear it.

Oh you're gonna want to wear it! I was gonna build a display case for it but I keep reaching for it at odd times just to put it on. I think I'm just gonna make a shelf.

Thanks man I kinda had no idea this thing was gonna be so awesome. Yeah I removed everything that was inside and I stripped the battery cover so that it's just the outer layer. Then I welded it and lined it with neoprene to make it comfy.

I would love to know the tweaks your making since I'm actually still thinking of making a few tweaks myself.

So you got it that smooth without any filler or anything, just plastic? Do you have any photos of it before painting?

Yeah no filler just plastic. I filled it in with a little extra material on top and sanded it flush. Sorry but I don't have any pics of the seams unpainted, I was kinda on a roll I finished it up in a day.

Because of the abs, when you sand it it gets kind of fuzzy, did you get rid of that with finer sandpaper? I just don't get how you got it so smooth and seamless without any other filler. Did you turn the plastic liquid?

@DrTalyn Yeah it does get fuzzy so I do a couple of things to mitigate that. One is if I had to really sand down through a bunch of material with 60grit sandpaper it'll leave a fuzzy texture, but the thing that'll stand out more are the deep lines your sanding makes on the plastic that doesn't get filled in. So I sand lightly with 60 then if it leaves too many imperfections I lightly go over it with the the flat side of the soldering iron, adding material where there are pits and voids. Then I sand again lightly with 150.

Second is if it's not too bad but just fuzzy, because of the texturing I do to it after sanding, I know that the fuzz gets knocked down during sanding and covered up by the brick sand texturing so I just leave it. Although it would be good to use a random orbit sander when you sand large portions to keep the sanding lines away. Don't try to fill sanding lines with paint it'll take waaaay too thick of a layer.

Last edited:
I finally got around to making the cheek holes covers as accurate as I can make it, while I was at it I upgraded the lining on the forehead as well.

first I took the layer that covered the cheek holes and cut off the parts that covered the cheek holes, I left most of the top part as I've modified those earlier for the nose bridge pieces.
IMAG0365.jpg

IMAG0363.jpg

I got this fabric at my local wulmart and a yard is more than enough, unless you have a really dull pair of scissors and are prone to making mistakes.
IMAG0356.jpg

I filled in some of the dips and valleys of the chromed piece to make it easier for me to adhere the fabric on it, it also takes away any chance of rippling and makes the fabric sit nice and smooth. Then I taped up the parts that don't need fabric then sprayed on some spray adhesive on the parts that needed to be covered with fabric. I cut off a piece of fabric larger than the area I needed to cover then firmly pressed the fabric onto the back making sure to get the alignment right and keep the fabric that bridges the holes smooth,

then I waited to let the adhesive cure a bit before cutting off all the excess. I then glued up some velcro strips for the foam padding, careful to avoid as many of the holes. (sorry I don't have any pics of these steps, but I was going pretty fast at this point and forgot to take pics) I also covered the foam pad with the same fabric(since I had a bunch extra) to make the foam feel better against my face. Here's what it looks like after all this is done.
IMAG0360.jpg
IMAG0359.jpg

IMAG0366.jpg

Hope you guys enjoy.

Could you post whats exaxtly to mod on the facepattern on a complete photo of the face?

And is the facepattern real cold metal or chromed plastic?

@Kroenen77 I don't actually have a pic of how it originally came as I modded it the same day, but if you send me a pic of the original chromed part I can show you where and what I worked on. Are you just modding the chromed face part or the whole front fascia?

The chromed parts are plastic. I don't think its vac metalized as there is a layer of copper paint just underneath from what I can tell.

I still have no helmet.I think here in germany we will become them beginning next year.:(
But I have one on preorder and will mod it or not.Thats why I asked whats to do.
I could use Alclad II for chroming when I must add material to the pattern.That look very realistic.

Great work! One question:
Is the part that touches the top of your nose removable (by normal means, like unscrewing it perhaps)? It pushes my nose down and it is disturbing.

@Darthpyross Do you still have the helmet as it came in the box? On my finished modded helmet nothing touches my nose, only the foam padding on the forehead and around the eyes. The stock nose rubber thing that it comes with, is that what you mean? the part above the domed part with the mic?

Last edited:
@Darthpyross Do you still have the helmet as it came in the box? On my finished modded helmet nothing touches my nose, only the foam padding on the forehead and around the eyes. The stock nose rubber thing that it comes with, is that what you mean? the part above the domed part with the mic?

Yep, that thing. Mine is still as it came in the box.

That rubber thing touches the tip of my nose so the visor goes to a higher point than where my eyes are. Yesterday I tried if I could somehow unscrew it but couldnt find a way.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back