Kylo Ren Black Series Helmet Mod

Just asking, this helmet / mask looks like a re configured storm trooper helmet?? Why does Ren need one anyway? Imitating good ole granddad?

You can use the mesh for predator masks.That is very fine and you can look out.Look at the Hunters lair or ebay.

But what they used in the movie behind the eyes...there are some very near shots there but I´ve seen noting in the cinema.:unsure

I remember hearing some of the VFX guys did some/a lot of post on Kylo - undoubtedly, blacking out the eye area. My guess is a mesh which they would be able to remove for shots with dim lighting/harder to see out of.

I also just used tights/stockings - black opaque. Does a good job, was able to walk round in my dimly lit cinema with no hassles (aside from not having my glasses on! :wacko)

Gotcha, thanks!! Where did you get your mesh? Is it a specific brand? It looks really nice

It does?? I've kinda been debating whether to re do it or not since I can see some of the mesh don't line up as nicely as they can, but that may just be me.

No specific brand, any aluminum mesh would be fine. Careful with the edges when you cut it though, they're like needles.

What about solar screen? It is fabric so it wont stick you or cut you

I don't see why it wouldn't work. I opted for the metal mesh as I wanted it to be more rigid and durable and also not flex. But I think if you stretch it well enough and find a way to adhere it to the helmet securely it should be fine. one caveat though, I don't really know how fine solar screen in, but finer the better.

not a good picture but will definably prevent eyes from being seen. There is different thickness depending on the amount of light blocked. Have it on me house. 90% or higher it is typically thicker. The lower the percentage the thinner the fabric.

sscolors.jpg

not a good picture but will definably prevent eyes from being seen. There is different thickness depending on the amount of light blocked. Have it on me house. 90% or higher it is typically thicker. The lower the percentage the thinner the fabric.

View attachment 569140

I would test it by putting it an inch from your eyes in a dimly lit room if you can see fine it passes. Then just tape it to the visor, go outside in the sunlight and ask someone to get close to you and see if they can see through and see you. If they can't from a foot a way you're good to go.

James, nice work here! I'm new to the forum and have a few questions for you after reading through your posts several times. I copied some of your pics and drew on them to help illustrate what I'm asking.

Kylo 5 2.0.jpg
Did you remove some of the plastic in the area above?

Kylo 16 2.0.jpg
Is the red line where you cut off the front piece? Are the areas pointed out in green all added plastic? And did you modify the lower jaw area outlined in green? It looks different from what I see on mine if I cut on the red line.

Last question, after seeing the movie are you planning any other modifications to make it more accurate, or do you feel this is pretty close? I've only seen it once so far but plann on seeing again this weekend.

Thanks!

Thanks man, I appreciate it. I think the whole welding the shells together and modding this helm is going around which is great, it's nice to know I've helped some people out as I'm usually the one scrolling through threads just soaking up information.

1. Yeah removed that part and rebuilt the chrome nose part. Also made the 2nd layer taller to match the anovos and some ref. pics from the movies.

2. Yes I cut on that red line and re built it and added plastic. The layering wouldn't work unless you do that.

3. It's close but could be done closer. I might cut off the front entirely and attach it to the chromed parts, but I would also cut off the back of the 2nd layer and reshape it to make even more accurate. So yes, there might be a Ver 3.0 to this. Maybe i'll get to it after I finish some of the commission work I have coming in for these helmets.

In the second pic I posted, did you modify the lower jaw area? It just looks different and I want to be sure what I'm doing before I start messing around, ya know?

One other thing: Is there a particular reason that you used metal mesh screen for the eyes rather than the black fiberglass window screen?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back