Kylo Ren Black Series Helmet Mod

Yep, that thing. Mine is still as it came in the box.

That rubber thing touches the tip of my nose so the visor goes to a higher point than where my eyes are. Yesterday I tried if I could somehow unscrew it but couldnt find a way.

There are a couple of screws that hold it to the front of the helmet, its around the dome thing that is supposed to go in front of your mouth, where the mic is.Take a pic and post it and i can point it out to you if you want.

I think I understand where you mean. On the bottom of the mic there is 1 screw, and one on the each side (left & right) of the nose rubber. I unscrewed them but I wasnt able to remove any parts. Maybe I didn't try pulling it hard enough :)

Yeah they're on there kinda tight, careful when you pull it out to not pull too far and mess up the mic wire, if you're keeping the voice changer functional.

Lovely work, planning to do something similar with my one for next years local Con, but for the premier i will leave it as is.

Having glasses though, removing that nose bridge plate is an idea as it interferes with the frames of my glasses and otherwise the helmet would fit straight on.

Maybe this helmet is designed for kids or people with small heads as that nose bridge is too low for the helmet to sit correctly where your eyes line up with the visor.

Maybe this helmet is designed for kids or people with small heads as that nose bridge is too low for the helmet to sit correctly where your eyes line up with the visor.

I made it. I removed the center mouth piece. It's disappointing that the rubber nose piece was attached to the plastic unremovably, so I had to tear it apart - but still it was uncomfortable inside even without it. So I removed the whole center mouth piece altogether :) now I have lots of space...though the mic is in the open.

Yeah the voice changer on mine was utter cr@p. It kept echoing no matter where I put my head and how loudly I spoke. The only time it repeated my voice correctly was when my head was outside the helmet! That made the choice of throwing all that out kinda easy.

The voice changer was definitely designed with a child in mind. The problem is two-fold:
1. The speaker is too loud
2. The speaker is mostly covered by the inside of the helmet turning it into a reverb chamber that will cause a feedback loop.

My solution was to disassemble the inside down to the chrome part and cut a black sock to just over the diameter of the speaker and place it between the speaker and chrome piece then reassemble. It doesn't knock down the volume too much but it removes the feedback issue making it usable. Hope this helps!

It would be nice to see both helmets together.The Rubies and this Hasbro helmet...to show the different sizes.

I just wanted to say that this is a beautiful modification job you've done here. I will be using your photos for reference/inspiration as I work on my Black Series mod.

Any chance you can explain the plastic welding method a little more? I'm unfamiliar with the technique and the few Youtube videos that came up in my search show tools I most likely can't afford at the moment. Is it possible to use this technique with a wood burner tool, maybe with a certain bit/attachment? I've used my wood burner previously to modify my Rubie's Kylo helmet with moderate success.

Thanks man, this was a fun mod I'd like to to see your helmet when you finish it.

Real plastic welding needs a heating element that blows hot air that has precise temperature and can hold that temperature since different plastics melt at different temperatures. That's for welding plastics that need to be structural. So I just used an old soldering iron.

I basically touch the plastic with it between the seam I want to close and move it forward and backward to slightly mix the softened plastic. The seam will lightly be held together after the first pass, make sure not to go through the plastic in this step. Aim to melt about halfway through the plastic. Then get some extra scrap abs, I used pieces I cut off from the helmet itself, and use it to fill out the seam. I just go over the seam with the material and melt it into the seam until it's smooth. Try not to add too much material so as to not make a bump where the seam is on the outside.

The seam will be together after the second pass but still might be prone to breaking off if left in that state. So I go over the back and do the same steps except I add way more material aiming for there to be a bump where the seam is to reinforce it. Let it cool and sand away.

Hope that helps.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back