Kylo Ren Black Series Helmet Mod

From what I've seen, most people use hot glue. Dab some onto the innards of the helmet, then carefully press the mesh into it.
Propshop has what looks to be a really nice, integrated mesh and lining all sewn in together.

Here's where I'm at:
image.jpeg

Holes carved out more, can't really tell but I filled in the holes from the speaker with epoxy, and sanded the entire helmet.

lastly got some steel mesh put in that I'll have to paint black later.

brighter pic
image.jpeg

Here's where I'm at:
View attachment 647892

Holes carved out more, can't really tell but I filled in the holes from the speaker with epoxy, and sanded the entire helmet.

lastly got some steel mesh put in that I'll have to paint black later.

brighter pic
View attachment 647893

That's looking good, I suggest you put at least another layer of mesh underneath the visor so that it can cover your eyes enough not to be seen. Stagger the pieces so that the gaps between the mesh is smaller and smaller. Depends on how wide the spaces in between the mesh you got are you might have to do two to three layers. I did two on mine and you cant see my eyes from behind once its painted black. Also I used plumbers epoxy to attach the mesh to the original clear visor that I cut out an eye hole into. Good Luck!

Sounds good, thanks Jamestan I think that's something I'll definitely do. Your work is some true inspiration:thumbsup

Last edited by a moderator:
Welded the helmet together with some more sanding. Only modification I did today was raise the mouth/snout piece near the top.

image.jpeg
Gives it a similar look in profile to the Anovos helmet.

Thanks rosskow.

so what I did was cut a thin peice of cardboard to shape(wider at the bottom with a taper towards the top) for structure. Then I glued it down ontop of the nose, and then used plumbers epoxy to shape. Then went back with bondo just to fill in any imperfections.

youll have that gap like mine, but I'm thinking of using some fabric to cover it just like the chrome face plate holes. Hopefully that's some help, I'm *%¥$ at explaining thing haha

Today's update:

i think ink we can all agree sanding suuuuucks!!!
image.jpeg
A bunch of back and forth work with the power tools/sandpaper/sponges but after awhile the seam finally started to vanish some...

and this is pretty much where I ended it for the day:
image.jpeg
Still needs another round of sanding. Then I'll add the texture while I'm giving the helmet it's final paint. :cheers

@Mechanized2400 If you over-fill during the welding phase, then sand w/ 60grit and a variable speed osc sander then sand it to 100 or 120 you barely have to do any texturing. the fuzzies kind of create almost the right amount of texture.

Last edited:
Sounds good! Thanks for the input, perfect timing too. I was just about to be off to go get some more sand paper.

im hoping to have it all finished up by today or tomorrow. Also, still need to add an extra layer or two of mesh. Thanks again Jamestan

So far so good. I don't think I'm done however. I think I'm going to go back and finish up that seam line a little better and then repaint. And almost forgot the pieces under the jaw are in progress

But for now, this'll do:

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Thanks to @Jamestan for such an informative thread and helpful advice. As always, comments welcome. (y)cheers

Today's update:

i think ink we can all agree sanding suuuuucks!!!
View attachment 649922
Very nice. What did you end up using for the seams? I saw a lot of people on youtube using Bondo, but I had a ton of epoxy putty, so I went with that. After a ton of sanding and then a thin coat of resin, I can still see my seams. Turns out the putty is just too smooth. It really stands out beside the texture of the helmet.

Hey ForceSensitvAL thanks.

if you look at the last pics I posted you can still see the seams in certain light. But I used a Bondo like most but did use the putty epoxy fill in the speaker holes in the chrome face part;

just shoved it in through the back of the chrome face's holes and smoothed it out as it protruded out in front.

For or the seams of helmet I went back-n-forth a lot with melting plastic with the solder iron, then, filling any gaps with bondo. Sanding, light primer to see what else was needed and where, then repeated the whole process.

After awhile It was decent enough, and that's what you see in the pics. Also, I used a light textured rattle can for paint which helped disguised the seam

This is the textured Rattle can I used:
image.jpeg

It gives a fine texture that isn't like the hammered type look. After that dried I went over with a flat black from Rusto to dull out the texture just a bit. It may not be exactly screen accurate but I like it.

tried to get a pic of the cap to show what this texture looks like:
image.jpegimage.jpeg

Thanks, Mechanized2400! I am going to give some different sprays a try this weekend. I got one fine texture and one that I think I might be able to use to get a leathery look.Going less for accuracy at this point and more for a unique look that'll look good on display. The lightsaber I'm displaying beside it is already pretty inaccurate and unique itself.

Same here, my saber is no where near accurate. And the helmet is so inconsistent throughout the film, also.

I like when each prop is unique to its builder/owner; so I'm excited to see your final piece. Have a fun time with this one, it's worth it in the end (y)cheers

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back