Is Disney Making the same mistake as Lucas?

Krel

Sr Member
Seeing all the advertising of new Star Wars merchandise, I have to wonder if Disney is making the same mistake that Lucas did with "The Phantom Menace". Lucas sold so many merchandising licenses that the market was over saturated. Between the cost of the license, and and the overwhelming glut of product, there was no way for many companies to make a profit, and many went under. The one that comes to mind is Micromachines, which Hasbro threw under the bus. I remember walking into Toys"R"Us and seeing at least nine different types of SW pool toys.

What makes me wonder if the Mouse is making the same mistake is an ad I saw on TV last night. For weeks I have been noticing all the ads from Toys"R"Us, Walmart, Target, Dollar General and Bed, Bath and Beyond! But what got me really thinking about this, was a commercial I saw for SW jewelry at Kay's Jewelers!

So, does anyone else believe that the Mouse may be over saturating the market?

David.

As far as Disney is concerned, you can never over saturate a market. Further, they collect their license fees up front and vet the prototype, once that happens, they don't really care if the business that bought such is successful or not. I don't believe you have see anything near yet what this movie will turn out in products.

Disney's balancing it out because they really don't do much merch from their other franchises so they hope that the folks who would buy it go over to SW. Give it time and you'll see SW hand sanitizer and toilet paper no doubt. That said someone needs to get off their butt and make Spaceballs 2.

Disney/JJ is not in this to make a movie that satisfies fans. George Lucas was never in the business of satisfying fans. They are in the business of making money. And selling product to rabid fans makes money. I don't think anyone there cares about the absurdity of C3P0 yogurt or BB8 staplers or Princess Leia tampons. Honestly. If they make boatloads more money=success. Success=Sequel. And so forth.

Disney is doing what Disney does best. I don't particularly care for some of the products I've been seeing either. Like the Kay jewelers stuff, like the coffemate stuff, and the stuff that just has me scratching my head, like, "What the hell does that have to do with Star Wars?". I just ignore it, though. I realize its not for me. All I really care about are the films and maybe the books and comics. Other than my tickets for EpVII, I haven't bought one piece of officially licensed merchandise from the new films. Don't think I plan to, either.

I walked by a local Subway here in Sweden to see them showing off a big sign with BB8 on it. I'm sorry, but BB8 isn't gonna make me want to buy more fast-food sandwiches. It will more likely do the opposite, because why buy food from a place that needs fake robots to sell their stuff?

Disney/JJ is not in this to make a movie that satisfies fans. George Lucas was never in the business of satisfying fans. They are in the business of making money. And selling product to demented fans makes money. I don't think anyone there cares about the absurdity of C3P0 yogurt or BB8 staplers or Princess Leia tampons. Honestly. If they make boatloads more money=success. Success=Sequel. And so forth.
There, I corrected it for you. They buy ANYTHING, which has the Star Wars Logo on it. Even a used tissue of Daisy, with a hand drawn logo… smh

Last edited by a moderator:
roflx.gif
Now THAT'S funny!

well, they do have to earn back the rediculous amount of money they gave JL
True. But between the anticipation, domestic and international box office returns, the merchandising, and whichever other movies they have planned for the future, I think Disney will do just fine unless The Force Awakens turns out to be one of the worst movies in cinema history.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back