Is Disney Making the same mistake as Lucas?

Yeah, when we saw the "cover girl" commercials we just shook our heads. But why NOT do it?! You will all see the movie, right? Oh wait. YOU are that guy who won't buy in to the whole merchandising propaganda and WON'T see the movie, right?

lIAR! You will be shoulder to shoulder with us on opening night.

Disney/JJ is not in this to make a movie that satisfies fans. George Lucas was never in the business of satisfying fans. They are in the business of making money. And selling product to rabid fans makes money. I don't think anyone there cares about the absurdity of C3P0 yogurt or BB8 staplers or Princess Leia tampons. Honestly. If they make boatloads more money=success. Success=Sequel. And so forth.

While they do need to make a movie that is going to bring in $$$ of course, I have to strongly disagree and JJ absolutely made this movie for the fans. He brought fans on to help make the darn movie. The crew sounds to be comprised of absolutely core fans of Star Wars growing up that inspired them to be doing what they are now, and who also genuinely want to make a GREAT Star Wars film. I haven't had a shred of worry over the production of this film at all.

He brought fans on to help make the darn movie.

That always doesn't work out, just ask the Producers of "Snakes on a Plane". The movie was retooled due to the fans, and BOMBED big time! Sometimes there is something to be said for professional detachment, it can give you perspective.

David

This will be the biggest fan film fan service film in history, and will make a fortune.

I don't agree that was the way to go but I don't run a studio, but there it is.
Abrams and his fan crew will give most fans what they want.
Han, Chewie, Falcon, FX battles, force theme, saber battles with menacing bad guy, something something darkside.

Okay.... well I guess this is the first I've heard such doubt post trailers. The receiving of what everyone has seen has thus far been very positive.

I mean I honestly don't know how good this movie will be. To have the cast excited about it and even them not seeming to know a lot of hard core star wars history... it must have been something special for everyone.

I think Abrams will do fine personally. But if I think it's terrible then I will freely admit my being wrong after seeing it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

you know all hear about is all this merchandise stuff, and here in New england area we dont have crap!!

Yeah...poor disney, first movie only made 2B...not sure how they'll survive.

Lucas, you could say, was worse about it - the the PT profited before the first movie hit theaters - 1B in lcensing beforehand....I hope they were able to survive..

I bought some apples yesterday and they were it a Stars Wars Empire Themed bag......They made me think of snow white, but I think I was supposed to think of Kylo Ren.....Disney's mind control got me either way:lol

Jar Jar Binks brand Suppositories....Messsa Easaa you Poopah. :facepalm

TazMan2000

I thought the prequels were the suppositories lol

Disney will pimp out anything they own to make a penny, just look at video games and how they stopped giving a crap about how good they are.

Disney pretty much said that all they care about are mobile games. SW games are almost impossible to screw up. LucasArts only made a handful (maybe) of bad SW games. I just wish they would give us sequels to some of the great SW game properties already.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back