Obi-wan ANH saber "chrome" tape?

jason1976

Sr Member
Hey gang.
I'm working on an obi-wan ANH saber, and I'm trying to get it as close to, WHAT I THINK, the chronicles version looked like. (well on a budget anyway's. :) )

Anywho I really want to do the whole "Chrome" tape thing, but I don't know what to use. I mean, there's Millar, chrome duct tape, some kind of 'metal repair tape" I saw in the automotive section at Meijer, etc. etc.. I've got know clue what to use.

So, I need to know what kind to use.

Also, I can't quite see from the chronicIes pics, were the tape ends, and the clamp starts.(even when I lighten them up. :( ) A year, or two, ago, I saw where a member (I want to say James kenobi, or something like that) posted, in someone else's thread, pics (and some info) of some obi sabers he finished for other folks. He did an outstanding job. I saved the pics, but that was a few computers ago, and I can't find them now.

Does anyone know, for sure, who it was, or have the pics, or pics of any other REALY well done obi sabers, with the tape?

Thanks
Jason

Last edited by a moderator:
ben8-vi.jpg

I used the metal duct tape, it works great.
oldben007-vi.jpg

oldben006-vi.jpg

Last edited:
There you go, from the man himself...you don't need me ;)

I was humbly going to suggest chrome duct tape as well ...and it has so many other uses too...I use it alot...and need more hahaha.

Those top pics are not color, they are colorized to illustrate the tape position. They are taken from the standard 'Chronicles' views. Those were post-production stills and there are 3 views. These days the one showing the transistors is commonly called the 'Chronicles' pic, the other side view the 'Mechanismo' pic because that's the source for the best resolution version, then there's a '3/4' view showing the face of the emitter. I think there's a thread still on the board with most or all of the reference, let me see if I can find it.

Wow there are a lot of great old threads still on the board. Here's the reference thread: http://therpf.com/showthread.php?t=4049

Last edited:
Well, I picked up some Foil ("chrome") Duct tape at Lowe's, for around $14. Then I went to Wal-Mart, and they had something called "Aluminum Foil Duct tape". It was made by the same company as the stuff at Lowe's, and look about the same, but it was actually half the price.

I was timped, but I decided to stick with the higher priced stuff I had already bout, but I thought I would pass on my findings, just incase someone else wants to try the cheeper stuff.

Ok, my bad. it turns out, that the expensive chrome tape at Lowe's has read text all over it for some reason. :( So, I returned it, and to the $7. tape at Wal-mart. it's made by the same company, but it doesn't have writing all over it. :)

BTW, I know this is a little of topic, but I was looking at my MR mini Obi ANH, and I know the real thing has a brass set screw on the lever side of the clamp, but the MR has one on the opposite side of the saber. Is that correct?

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I wanted to show I used the search function before I asked :)angel): does anyone have any good reference pictures of where to place the chrome tape on the Obi-wan saber graflex clamp?
Unfortunately the photos in this thread appear to be long gone.

hey jason save your money i have some if you would like a piece pm me your address and ill send you a strip, just let me know how long you need it. free of charge.

hey jason save your money i have some if you would like a piece pm me your address and ill send you a strip, just let me know how long you need it. free of charge.

Thanks so much, but this thread is over 2 years old. I bout the tape a long time ago. :) (still have yet to get around to using it, but I did buy it. :) )

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I wanted to show I used the search function before I asked :)angel): does anyone have any good reference pictures of where to place the chrome tape on the Obi-wan saber graflex clamp?
Unfortunately the photos in this thread appear to be long gone.

ben8-vi.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back