Bwize's DeAgostini Falcon build

Well, I heeded your warning and was extremely careful not to drop them, lol. I can't wait to throw some primer on the disk as I know those beautiful details are gonna jump out then. I can't wait btw to get your updated fuel towers. Do you plan on producing anymore 5 footer inspired parts in the future.

I have to admit I was kind of expecting someone by now, maybe tonyRR (308 Bits) to make a stubby cockpit cone and reduced floor. I have always loved the stubby look of the 5 footer cone.

Thank you. It has definitely been a labor of love, lol. I did manage to get a little more work done on her this weekend. I finished up the port side upper rear maint. bay. I added the pipes and a few additional pieces. I am pretty pleased with it. I also started the other side maint. bay. The 5 footer parts maps list the tank part as being a 1/48 jagdpanther so I found a 1/100 jagdpanther and I think it looks a little on the small side, but it fit in the tray well, but I managed to get it a little off center, but oh well.

20180422_232828.jpg

I also realized too late that I had the 8-Rad part on the port side bay backwards, so I had to have the 2 pipes turn and run down into the part.

I have finished the inner jaw box plates and used the 5 footer as inspiration. I had to use some artistic license as I could not find all the scaled down parts to match.

For the upper plate I flat sanded all the details down then used the hull details from a 1/76 Matilda as I thought it looked pretty interesting and the 1/72 8Rad and various bits from other models.

20180510_075636.jpg

For the lower plate I decided for a complete re-build. I used the original and traced the shape on a sheet of .08 polystyrene and lucked out and the first cut fit perfectly. I used 3 strips of styrene to make the curved band at the rear and used another Matilda and 8Rad for the main details.

I shaved off the connection posts on the original plate and placed them on the jawbox then glued my replacement plate to the posts and it worked very well.

20180510_075728.jpg

No, the overhang on the bottom was much better than the top, albeit a bit thick, so I just sanded it down thinner. Not quite as good as the top, but I plan on mounting mine to the wall so the bottom won't be seen that well anyway. Plus, sanding those panels off is mind numbing! I don't know how ktaylor kept his sanity while sanding down ALL the panels on his falcon!

Thank you. For the plating I used .020 thinkness as it seems to match the plating modeled on the hull. I have begun work on the rear engine deck, chiseled, ground and sanded off quite a few details for replacement. I still have a long road ahead, lol.

Bryan

Ooo wauwww.. that awesome man!! Greatat job your doing!! I'll definitely follow your build!!

please don't take me serious I'm crazy :)

Got another update. I have begun work on the rear engine deck, but I am waiting to purchase a couple of more donor kits and shapeways parts before continuing. I am going for a blend of 32" and 5 footer and will be moving the 2 inner fuel towers to their 5 footer locations (just one square over). I moved the 2 kit provided wheel hubs that are on the 32" lower sides to the center as they look ok for that purpose and will purchase a couple of gepards for the other 4 hubs.

20180911_210356.jpg

As I wait, I started working on the mandibles. I again am sliding the bar to the 5 footer and have added a lot of extra details. I have added parts from the bandai 1/48 panther and 1/76 matilda and others. I scratch-built the upper circular maintenance bay with the matilda as the 5 footer. I also redid most of the piping and small plating bits to better match the 5 footer. The most time consuming and tedious parts were the truck rails from the Kenworth cabover truck used on the 5 footer. Those 4 rails took me hours to build and I even tried my hand at the small rivets using small beads.

20180911_205641.jpg

20180911_205806.jpg

20180911_205835.jpg

I have added a few extra bits to the cockpit side sidewall and will be adding some pipes ala the Force Awakens as I liked that extra bit of detailing.

20180911_205735.jpg

I added some pipes and such to the inner walls of some of the circular bays to beef them up a bit like the 5 footer.

20180911_205910.jpg20180911_210057.jpg

I have always preferred the details of the 32” mandible tips, but I flipped the details to place the circular part on top to pay homage to the 5 footer tips.

20180911_205956.jpg

I found a 1/100 panther kit that fit the lower jaw and looks so much like the 5 footer, I couldn’t resist.

20180911_210525.jpg

That’s some seriously scratched , and wonderfully added detail work on display there mate :p
Glad to be catching up on your excellent build again , and she’s sure to be a beautiful one of a ( personalised ) kind when finished !

:cheersGed

Thank you Ged. It's been a real blast working on this beast. I just ordered some replacement rear deck vents from Falcon3D parts and some more Shapeways parts too so I am looking forward to continuing work in that area.

I can't believe it's been almost 2 yrs since an update, sorry. So here it goes. I decided that I was going to stop pushing for the 5 footer so much and will just be completing the rest of the details as the 32" for the most part. I still have a few 3D printed 5 footer details to place, but after that no more. It is just slowing me down and costing too much money with all the kits.

So first up is a new cockpit cone. I did want a short and stubby cone like the 5 Footer so I found a free 3D file on thingiverse for a replacement cone for the ole MPC and thought the over all shape was pretty good so I scaled it up to fit the Deago an am customizing it a bit. I have done some sanding, more to come, and have added the missing window frames as the file only had them on some of the windows. I also enlarged the front circular window. I know the left side of the center window is slight wonky, but I can live it as from a distance it really does not show.

IMG_0414.jpg
IMG_0415.jpg
IMG_0416.jpg
IMG_0417.jpg
IMG_0418.jpg

I know the surface still looks a bit rough, but I will wait until I get a primer coat on before I decide how much more needs sanding. I will also, be sanding the bottom panels a little more, maybe nearly off, to apply .010 sheet panels with the correct notches and shapes. Also I will probably leave the 4 panels below the center window as they really don't bother me that much. It is hard to see the printed on window frames, but you can tell by the absence of the new white ones. I do think the roughness of the print is that I accidentally had my printer hot end set a bit too high, as I had quite a bit of stringing despite having retraction on.

I also have the rear deck nearly complete. Here you can see I have added many of the 32" in details with a fair mix of 5 footer where I could. The white strips on the outer edges I scratchbuilt as it was fairly straight forward and I didn't want to but a kit just for these 2 pieces. TonyRR (308Bits) over on shapeways has a new section devoted to 5 footer conversion parts and I have purchased a few parts, but will prob not do any more to speed up the build.

IMG_0413.jpg
IMG_0411.jpg

I have installed the flaps and rods except for the ones over the red panels and left off the flaps that need to be painted dark gray.

Oh dear lord, I just realized that I made a monumental mistake. I forgot to install the brass photo-etched grills underneath the exhaust ports! I feel so stupid right now as I will probably end up destroying the resin exhaust ports just trying to remove them.

Is there a substance you can use to break the super glue bond?

Hi bwize, good to see you back at it.
I've heard that if you put your parts in the freezer for a few hours the superglue becomes brittle and the bond breaks away easier. Best to be cautious though as the material used in the printed parts might become brittle too.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back