3D Modelled Rico's Puzzle Gun Complete

Monkey540

Sr Member
That's Right, It's
​RICO's Puzzle Gun

One of the first projects that I had in mind when I started doing 3D modelling and printing was to make my own replica of this prop gun that Rico uses in the jail:
Judge_18_zpsxzengdgb.jpg

So back then I came up with a simple design and it looked like this:

Box_zpsc2fpgh0u.jpg

Gun_zpsjfgguzlu.jpg

I felt it was finally time to revive this project. But I wanted to do the whole prop (or as close to it as I could) complete with this functionality:
Rico%20Badge_zpsm5red5ij.jpg

The first step was sprucing up the gun part, and making it so that they could interlock, here's what I came up with:

Closed:
Gun%20Box%20Closed_zpskv8tediv.jpg

Open:
Gun%20Assembly%20Open_zpsmpg5zcma.jpg

Exploded:
Gun%20Assembly%20Exploded_zpsjqm1c7yl.jpg

I also added some thickness to the back and devised a way to interlock another piece:

Gun%20Assembly%20Back_zpsqv4kqqit.jpg

Then I went looking to a RICO badge pattern, or even a DREDD pattern from the 95 movie. Sadly, it was not to be found, I found 2 pictures of someone's homemade badge but that was it.

So I made my own, along with the tray the badge and photo sit in, and a box to clip onto the back, here's how it's turned out:

Exploded:
Badge%20Box%20Exploded_zpshtvghsvo.jpg

Open:
Badge%20Box%20Open_zpsgcheb0o8.jpg

Closed:
Badge%20Box%20Closed_zpsqacc7krq.jpg

So here's how the pieces connect to each other:
Full%20Assembly%20Seperated_zpsbjivk9z3.jpg

Full%20Assembly%20Badge%20Open_zpshv3luo9d.jpg

And in the open configuration with the Badge Box attached:
Gun%20Form_zpsu4t9ztfy.jpg

It may be a bit before I can have these printed up due to cost, but it will happen.

I'd appreciate any comments or opinions that anyone is willing to share about this project.

Also, does anyone have the right picture for the reporter Vartis Hammond, I have my crappy screenshot:
Reporter%20Pic_zpsiwzyjpub.jpg

And this photo that is different but of him:
Vlcsnap-2013-02-08-18h22m03s107_zpsjyyp9o9l.png

I can't find any other photos of him that are close to the reporter pic from the prop.

Last edited:
This project looks amazing, I hope that you get a chance to complete it.
Maybe you could photoplasty up a picture of reporter Vartis Hammond from other photos of Mitchel Ryan?
GIS doesn't seem to be much of a friend for finding a picture of him as the reporter.
What I always thought was a bit odd is that the character's name is Rico Dredd, but his badge didn't have "Dredd" on it...

nice work....i always wondered if the close box actually did open to make the gun.....or was it special effects

Hadn't seen this movie in years and it was on the night. I totally forgot about this prop and instantly thought it would be super cool to have as a replica.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back