The Y-Wing "Green Leader" Project - NOW OPEN SOURCE!

Really fine work, Dave G.

The whole thing with GitHub made me think of something else, a website archiving design files that are publicly shared, that is provided by one of the printer makers; just can't think of the name at the moment... Makerbot & Thingiverse, perhaps?

R/ Robert

Thingiverse wouldn't really work well as an archive for this project as I need to be able to archive not only 3D printing files but also modeling and drawing files in various formats. GrabCad was another possibility, a lot of engineers use it as a public archive site but in order to download, you have to register. I'll give Google Drive a shot for now, see how that works out. Can always move to another site later.

Thank Joberg! The Y has always been my favorite SW ship. I've been wanting to build one for 32 years, even started a couple of times but now that it's finally coming to fruition... well the forward fuselage just make me smile! :)

Some more 3D printed parts from the "neck" section. I'll post the files once I'm sure they fit correctly.

IMG_1462.jpg IMG_1465.jpg

Here are the various fuselage shells being primed.

IMG_1466.jpg

While the primer is drying I trimmed and fit the Saturn V shells. In addition to providing secure support, the 3D printed armature made trimming and fitting the shells a breeze. I love tech!

IMG_1476.jpg IMG_1542.jpg IMG_1544.jpg IMG_1545.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I guess you do have to register for a (free) Google account, although you don't have to have or use Gmail nor download Google Drive to your computer. For now this is the best way to make the files available. GitHub was way too difficult to use and navigate. It's really set up for people that want to share and collaborate on computer code. Not so good for the way I want to organize this project.

You could always try onedrive from MS. I don't think they require registration, I could be wrong, though.

I'm going to stick with Google Drive for now. It's working and ties in nicely with the YouTube Channel I'm putting together for the build videos.

Dave - heads up on some casting I'm having done, with Y-Wings in mind. Salzo is already making some in that turret extension set, and another friend is casting useful stuff in sets, soon. That really expensive oil pan and a few surprises I hope to get gathered in the short term. I figure if you and everyone else are going to be scratch building Y-Wings, why not make some parts to help!

Yes! I was hoping someone would put together and offer kit part castings to flesh out the Y!

Just a note to everyone thinking of building a Y based on my files. I have no idea how long it will take me to finish and post everything. I know some people got mad at Wasilli for stopping production of his Laser Tower shells after they had purchased kit part castings (even though they had not been guaranteed the shells). My Y is still going to require some scratch building.

Re: The Y-Wing "Green Leader" Project - NOW OPEN SOURCE!

Understood Dave! I offered 32" Falcon cutting files, which, in my case, may have been inaccurate. I tried and hopefully inspired people to dive into the SS world; not unlike the countless artists here who have inspired me. Your files are lightyears beyond any potential or unintentional expectations! Some things require work, f.ck it...it helps people learn and appreciate building things even though you are handing us so much useful information in a gift basket. If anything, we truly appreciate your work! Oh, and a drunk hello from South Korea to all!

Joe

Dave - heads up on some casting I'm having done, with Y-Wings in mind. Salzo is already making some in that turret extension set, and another friend is casting useful stuff in sets, soon. That really expensive oil pan and a few surprises I hope to get gathered in the short term. I figure if you and everyone else are going to be scratch building Y-Wings, why not make some parts to help!

The kit with the oil pan is not that expensive, got my Morgan kit for $40. Of course it'll become to be expensive if you use only styrene on a Y-Wing as it's covered with that part, but the original were castings then...

This a great thread, really cool stuff , yeh the Morgan is still cheap as chips in the uk, £15 got me sorted

Nice one Dave , great work

Understood Dave! I offered 32" Falcon cutting files, which, in my case, may have been inaccurate. I tried and hopefully inspired people to dive into the SS world; not unlike the countless artists here who have inspired me. Your files are lightyears beyond any potential or unintentional expectations! Some things require work, f.ck it...it helps people learn and appreciate building things even though you are handing us so much useful information in a gift basket. If anything, we truly appreciate your work! Oh, and a drunk hello from South Korea to all!

Joe
Hey, don't go pulling down any posters north of the DMZ, buddy!

R/ Robert

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back