The Y-Wing "Green Leader" Project - NOW OPEN SOURCE!

Interesting.... I did find those two other kit pretty easily compared to the Bandai 1/24 BF 109.
So I presume I've been lucky in my timing. :)

In the spirit of Dave Goldberg's generosity, here's some help for any wannabes who can't seem to get started on their Y-Wing because they just don't know how/where to start, they already have too much on their plate, and they would really like one but don't want to shell out so much huge coin for all the little pieces.

Here are two pictures of what I'm offering, and it's first come, first served. Send me a PM or e-mail with your mailing address, and you can claim either a.) Tee Plate or b.) a "set-up" with Dave G's "Armature Core" file, 1/2" tube, and a Tee Plate all screwed together nice like. My brother in Georgia has a CNC router and he made a bunch of these for me, way more than I need (and there's way more Tee Plates than complete rigs, so most likely you'll get only a Tee Plate unless you're in the first five responses). If you want to pay me, then you can either a.) pay for shipping via PayPal, b.) buy me a beer at the next event we meet at, or c.) send me some original nernies from that one kit you got that has more than you need, or d.) post a separate thread about your build, how you did it, and what you learned. Whatever you'd like.

You don't get to be choosy about which one I send you, and some are "seconds" from the 3D printer I'm using, but it's all structurally sound and rigid once locked together with the nuts/bolts and this is armature stuff and, so it will all get covered up anyway. Some Tee Plates are made out of plexiglass and some out of melamine-laminated particle board. The particle-board is actually more rigid than the plexiglass, so if you have a preference there let me know. I'll gather names/addresses all week, and do one shipment on Saturday, Feb 4. IMGP9663.jpgIMGP9668.jpgIMGP9666.jpg

Without Dave, none of this would have been possible. With him, we all get to build our ultimate fantasy space craft. Thanks Dave!

Interesting.... I did find those two other kit pretty easily compared to the Bandai 1/24 BF 109.
So I presume I've been lucky in my timing. :)
The Kettenkrad piece is certain, but I don't think the Tamiya panzer 3 Ausf m/n that I have seen match either the details on the y-wing the original model these were built for , and also the later 5 foot falcon , nothing has yet convinced me this kit is correct

I dunno, it looks like a dead ringer for the Panzer part to me, albeit with the ends and bottom filled in and sanded flat.

Box%201_zpszolsajax.jpg

Progress! Most of the nernies are down on the main fuselage, a few to go here and there. Started adding kit parts to the wings and hope to be onto the engine cans soon. As you can see, I've changed up the detailing a bit from the original movie models. "Green Leader" is it's own thing! About half of the parts are glued down, the rest are stuck down for now with double stick tape so I can remove them before painting and give different base colors.

I've Bandai-ed about the idea of writing a Y-Wing fighter essay for a long time, but it's such a Harrow-ing experience and the more I've delved into it the Harrier it's gotten. In my Hummel opinion, the real problem is knowing where to start, which always leaves me up in the Air. Fix your mind on this, because while it's a magnificent Enterprise it's also a Heller lot of parts you'll need and, Tamiya eye, it's something of a jaw-dropping Revell-ation.

Buying all the original kits, to be honest, is kind of a Hase! Gawa head and do it anyway, because original nurnies (correct spelling, n.b.) are much better than resin-cast greeblies (wrong term, dufus). Soon it gets to be like swatting away Mosquitoes, because the list just keeps on growing, and soon your dreams are haunted by all the Phantom nurnies you have yet to acquire. Don't be Shiden, just start searching for stuff on Ebay, swap meets, Yardley sales, and model club events. Pretty soon you'll be so addicted that wild Mustangs couldn't drag you away from it.

You'll want to buy international airfare at least once, because some models are cheaper to find locally in Japan or England rather than paying for shipping. Watch your head -- don't let some Transatlantic Clipper trim your wallet so much that you pay astronomical prices; remember, you're not buying a V-2 Rocket to make a trip to Saturn. V is for victory according to Churchill, and you'll meet guys and gals with names like Gepard, Leopold, Matilda, all real Bulldog types. You'll meet military brass like Msrs. Sherman, Sheridan, and Scharnhorst You'll meet Germans named Hetzer, Hanomag, Fruehauf, Kettenkrad, and Heinkel. Oh, and Herr Stug is a nice old man, but his great grandson, Stug IV -- he's a thug. You'll meet really really old guys who could easily be Centurions, as well as really lightweight guys who look like 25 Pounders. If you go to Japan to save on shipping be sure to say hello to Msrs. Fujimi, Nichimo, Hyuga, and be sure to try the raw cow meat, I believe they call it Musashi. Don't be embarrassed if you can't pronounce their names -- you say Tomato, I say Yamato. When you bow to say thank you, be sure to use the phrase "Domo wari gato, Carro Armato." From there, why not make a short visit to some southeast Asian jungles to see all the Tigers, Panthers and Leopards -- I've heard one of them is a Royal or King of some type.

Too much travel can stress you out, so be sure to sit in the Lotus position at least 72 Delightful times. Your L'Eggs should be tucked up underneath you -- and be sure to do this with enough shade to stay cool -- wear a Hood -- because the Heat Sinks many in that part of the world.

How much will all this cost you? Well let's just say that by the end of it, your wife is going to hire a PayHauler to haul your paycheck directly into her account because she's lost all trust in your whimpering little mantra, "Just one more..." When you hear these words, "I'm tired of your Scammel!!! We had M577 in the account, which was Bf109 in German currency, and now we're down to 1/24 of that!" you know you've hit the reasonable limit, and your nice little Anzio Annie may put you into a full Nelson -- either way, there'll be no Essex for you for weeks and you'll Sea Lab results in about a month. Making her a nice cup of tea with Devonshire clotted cream might help her not to Bristol so much, but don't let her take the Beaufighter out of you. Chances are she'll let you value your Y-Wing knowledge in the doghouse, where you'll really learn what's your Kenworth. Sorry old boy, but Shinanos as much as you, and your once-secret knowledge is not so "Nitto!" anymore, now it's just silly trivia from an old movie in her opinion. Once the Hornet stings have subsided and the Hurricane passes by, lift your head and ask the gods, "Y oh Y did I ever start this Wing?" The stars may twinkle in Mauretania, but you'll never see the Aurora borealis again. Whatever you do, don't Karl me for the answer, Karl Morser instead.

Meanwhile, please swing by the garage studio next Friday night, I'm having Morgan, Plus 8 other guys come over (I think you'll like 'em a lot, these are 8rad guys). And John -- who thinks he's a Player, who thinks he's Special, well let's just say he's been uninvited.

Just knock Otaki on the door 51 times and listen for Nakajima Kate to ask you the secret question, "Howitzer goin'?" to which you give the secret reply, "Buffalo Schwimmwagen!" Don't ask me what it means, some Wankel at the Rotary club told me it years ago...

Is it based on the new neck?
No, it's the old neck as I had already printed the parts and epoxied them to the armature. I didn't feel like ripping it apart! I did add some .060 styrene plate to the sides to widen it a touch and a piece of 1/8" acrylic to the top of the astromech box to add height. A lot of the kit parts needed to be trimmed a bit to fit this version.

Last edited:
I've Bandai-ed about the idea of writing a Y-Wing fighter essay for a long time, but it's such a Harrow-ing experience and the more I've delved into it the Harrier it's gotten. In my Hummel opinion, the real problem is knowing where to start, which always leaves me up in the Air. Fix your mind on this, because while it's a magnificent Enterprise it's also a Heller lot of parts you'll need and, Tamiya eye, it's something of a jaw-dropping Revell-ation.

Buying all the original kits, to be honest, is kind of a Hase! Gawa head and do it anyway, because original nurnies (correct spelling, n.b.) are much better than resin-cast greeblies (wrong term, dufus). Soon it gets to be like swatting away Mosquitoes, because the list just keeps on growing, and soon your dreams are haunted by all the Phantom nurnies you have yet to acquire. Don't be Shiden, just start searching for stuff on Ebay, swap meets, Yardley sales, and model club events. Pretty soon you'll be so addicted that wild Mustangs couldn't drag you away from it.

You'll want to buy international airfare at least once, because some models are cheaper to find locally in Japan or England rather than paying for shipping. Watch your head -- don't let some Transatlantic Clipper trim your wallet so much that you pay astronomical prices; remember, you're not buying a V-2 Rocket to make a trip to Saturn. V is for victory according to Churchill, and you'll meet guys and gals with names like Gepard, Leopold, Matilda, all real Bulldog types. You'll meet military brass like Msrs. Sherman, Sheridan, and Scharnhorst You'll meet Germans named Hetzer, Hanomag, Fruehauf, Kettenkrad, and Heinkel. Oh, and Herr Stug is a nice old man, but his great grandson, Stug IV -- he's a thug. You'll meet really really old guys who could easily be Centurions, as well as really lightweight guys who look like 25 Pounders. If you go to Japan to save on shipping be sure to say hello to Msrs. Fujimi, Nichimo, Hyuga, and be sure to try the raw cow meat, I believe they call it Musashi. Don't be embarrassed if you can't pronounce their names -- you say Tomato, I say Yamato. When you bow to say thank you, be sure to use the phrase "Domo wari gato, Carro Armato." From there, why not make a short visit to some southeast Asian jungles to see all the Tigers, Panthers and Leopards -- I've heard one of them is a Royal or King of some type.

Too much travel can stress you out, so be sure to sit in the Lotus position at least 72 Delightful times. Your L'Eggs should be tucked up underneath you -- and be sure to do this with enough shade to stay cool -- wear a Hood -- because the Heat Sinks many in that part of the world.

How much will all this cost you? Well let's just say that by the end of it, your wife is going to hire a PayHauler to haul your paycheck directly into her account because she's lost all trust in your whimpering little mantra, "Just one more..." When you hear these words, "I'm tired of your Scammel!!! We had M577 in the account, which was Bf109 in German currency, and now we're down to 1/24 of that!" you know you've hit the reasonable limit, and your nice little Anzio Annie may put you into a full Nelson -- either way, there'll be no Essex for you for weeks and you'll Sea Lab results in about a month. Making her a nice cup of tea with Devonshire clotted cream might help her not to Bristol so much, but don't let her take the Beaufighter out of you. Chances are she'll let you value your Y-Wing knowledge in the doghouse, where you'll really learn what's your Kenworth. Sorry old boy, but Shinanos as much as you, and your once-secret knowledge is not so "Nitto!" anymore, now it's just silly trivia from an old movie in her opinion. Once the Hornet stings have subsided and the Hurricane passes by, lift your head and ask the gods, "Y oh Y did I ever start this Wing?" The stars may twinkle in Mauretania, but you'll never see the Aurora borealis again. Whatever you do, don't Karl me for the answer, Karl Morser instead.

Meanwhile, please swing by the garage studio next Friday night, I'm having Morgan, Plus 8 other guys come over (I think you'll like 'em a lot, these are 8rad guys). And John -- who thinks he's a Player, who thinks he's Special, well let's just say he's been uninvited.

Just knock Otaki on the door 51 times and listen for Nakajima Kate to ask you the secret question, "Howitzer goin'?" to which you give the secret reply, "Buffalo Schwimmwagen!" Don't ask me what it means, some Wankel at the Rotary club told me it years ago...
Brilliant , well done ........we all have these names buzzing around , great putting them in a story

No, it's the old neck as I had already printed the parts and epoxied them to the armature. I didn't feel like ripping it apart! I did add some .060 styrene plate to the sides to widen it a touch and a piece of 1/8" acrylic to the top of the astromech box to add height. A lot of the kit parts needed to be trimmed a bit to fit this version.

Nice. Still planning to tweak the CAD? ;)
I hear you, Sir, for hesitating ripping off what you've already glued. :)
I did it on mine to apply my 2 parts Top/bottom version that was welded on the armature. It was a weird feeling doing so. Like something wrong was happening in the universe.
But it felt good as soon as I've done my update. ;)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back