The Y-Wing "Green Leader" Project - NOW OPEN SOURCE!

Dave,

I just couldn't help myself with the latest Repository asset update...

ANH_yWing_quickComp_001.JPG

ANH_yWing_onValjeanAlt_001.JPG

:)

apb

REPOSITORY UPDATE!!!

I have uploaded an up-to-date version of the overall Y-Wing model that can be used in surface modeling programs. It includes the forward fuselage and canopy but does not yet include the neck section as I am still not quite happy with the revisions.

I have also created a new folder in which all of the 3D printing files will be stored. In this folder are STL files for the Forward Fuselage for anyone that wants to take a crack at printing it. A NOTE - These files were made based on the 3D printing processes and machines I would be using. They may not work well on all machines. For example, the recessed panel lines are likely to look like Bantha Poo Doo on an FDM style printer.

Cheers!

DaveG
How's the neck update coming Dave? I'm home for an extra week and my printer is bored.[emoji4]

So yesterday was my 48th Birthday, and it was a blow-out and a lot of fun, especially with nine kids helping their old man out. But by far the best present I received, bar none, was from my six-year-old who built me his own Y-Wing Fighter out of kindling wood for the fireplace. "Dad, your Y-Wing is taking so long to build. I made this in ONE DAY."

Totally amazed. Totally humbled. Look at how he even got the Fibonacci proportions just right. "Be careful with the canopy Dad, because it's very delicate -- I made it out of bark."

Cheers!IMGP9088.jpg

Fantastic job on that cockpit Gus76! A must have for Dave's model for sure!!
And TFS your work with us Andre; always great to have you on this board.:)

So yesterday was my 48th Birthday, and it was a blow-out and a lot of fun, especially with nine kids helping their old man out. But by far the best present I received, bar none, was from my six-year-old who built me his own Y-Wing Fighter out of kindling wood for the fireplace. "Dad, your Y-Wing is taking so long to build. I made this in ONE DAY."

Totally amazed. Totally humbled. Look at how he even got the Fibonacci proportions just right. "Be careful with the canopy Dad, because it's very delicate -- I made it out of bark."

Cheers!
Great story! I'm sure you'll treasure that Y-wing forever. It made me think of all the time I neglect my kids because I'm working on mine. Haha

After some very careful photo analysis I've come up with the following dimension for the length of the sections of 8Rad chassis on either side of the neck. Unfortunately each piece is well over half the length of the chassis so you'll need two kits, or castings, to chop up. The drawing of the length with the angled cut to match up to the main fuselage is based on one of Steve Niesen's photographs of the Gold Leader model. The one with the straight cut is based on the Alan Ladd model. Each length was independently "reverse engineered" from separate photos and they turned out to measure within .002" of each other.

8Rad%20Chassi%20Length_zpstob0nnf5.jpg

IMPORTANT - I haven't check this against my old 3D printed neck parts. As I've mentioned, there's a good chance the neck shells are a little bit too short. I'm trying to get those updated, holidays and such are slowing down the process.

Last edited:
Dave, is there any chance you could model these parts for printing?QUOTE]

It would be a good bit before I could get to it, there are a lot of things on my plate right now, both on the Y project and other. I know there are a couple of other guys out there modeling parts for the Y. Maybe someone else could jump in?

Dave, is there any chance you could model these parts for printing?QUOTE]

It would be a good bit before I could get to it, there are a lot of things on my plate right now, both on the Y project and other. I know there are a couple of other guys out there modeling parts for the Y. Maybe someone else could jump in?
That would be super. I'm more than happy to pay anyone who's willing to do this. They're simple and small. I'm no 3D guy but I couldn't imagine it being too difficult.

Dave, do you have a version of the forward fuselage without the recessed panel lines? Figured it would be easier to build the panels manually for those of us equipped with only a humble FDM-printer. :) If not, does anyone else have any experience on this matter?

I was going to convert the panel lines to V cuts which will print on FDM providing you can print 0.1mm layers or thereabouts.

Dave, do you have a version of the forward fuselage without the recessed panel lines? Figured it would be easier to build the panels manually for those of us equipped with only a humble FDM-printer. :) If not, does anyone else have any experience on this matter?

No, I'm sorry I don't.

So i've been noodling away fitting nernie castings here and there. As you can see from the pix some of the parts are accurate, many are not. I'm having great deal of fun changing things up. The top, which I've always felt was a bit weakly detailed on the originals has a droid strip chopped up and set up down the center. I figured that some of the same tech and mech might be used on more than one ship. That and the Apollo LEM part used to cover the mounting hole is just dumb! (IMHO). Some of the parts have been glued down, many are held in place with double stick tape, either because I'm not 100% decided on the placement or because I want to be able to paint some of the parts separately, then glue them down.

The 3D printed neck section parts are the old ones that I had assembled before Scott's note about fit issues with the kit parts. So on this model I'm just going with what I already had done, modifying the castings to fit. I did add .060" styrene to each side to add some width the the droid socket section.

IMG_2225_zpsmjxn2gob.jpg

IMG_2232_zpssl1dzpsp.jpg

IMG_2235_zpsa5xgbxzz.jpg

IMG_2236_zpsbplbuom2.jpg

IMG_2247_zpstkvzi48x.jpg

Like the way you've incorporated the x-wing droid strip. Makes it feel like there is uniformity among the various starfighters and those components serve a purpose in a real world scenario.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back