The Y-Wing "Green Leader" Project - NOW OPEN SOURCE!

It's not been covered before but another member has been asking me about that in PMs recently.

It is, unfortunately, not any standard tubing diameter. I reverse engineered the dimensions for it from photos figuring it was probably some rim that I would never find. On my model I ended up turning the part on my lathe and bonding it in place.

What I'm going to do is draw up the part as a 3D printing file which I would recommend printing at Shapeways in their Ultra Detail Plastic. Shouldn't be very expensive. I'll also post dimensions if someone has access to a lathe and wants to turn the part themselves. Going to do the same for the turret base ring that goes on top of the canopy.

Dave,
Forgive me if this has been covered somewhere before, but what is your suggestion for the tubing in the back in order to achieve the effect of a larger diameter thin tube that fits around the fatter longer tube?
View attachment 668067

I've read that it may be from here, The Bandai 1/16 Tank4.

Tank4.PNG

Other than some of the larger, more distinctive parts, and the stuff that's easy to get, I'll be using anything and everything for my plant-ons. There are some amazing modern armor kits from Hobby Boss, Meng, etc, with very detailed parts. Plus its a great opportunity to use "every part of the cow", and deplete my kit stash of random stuff.

I think it's great that MM is offering these castings but it would be even greater if they offered sets focused specifically on the Y. Or at least adjusted the quantities of certain parts in the set to that you don't have to buy multiple sets in order to get enough of on particular part. In this new pack they include two guns for the canopy turret, two of the Japanese Sub bulkheads for the rear of the fuselage but only two Sealab cranes (you'll need four) and one each of the little bomblets and landing gear struts and you'll need at least two or more of each of those.

There are at least 40 new Y-Wings in the works out there, I would think there's a big enough market to make Y focused packs good business.

John - I really look forward to seeing what you come up with! The Y is the perfect canvas for variety and experimentation. I've long felt that as great as the Y models were overall, that when you get down to studying them the details are inconsistent. The selection and layout of the nernies on the bottom is outstanding, on the top only fair, and it seems like when they got to the sides and the wings the modelmakers were just slapping on whatever fit. This is not to denigrate their artistry, the model was perfect for what it needed to be.

It's a BIG galaxy, there's bound to be variation in it!

I think especially since Y-Wings are recycled and refit from the Clone Wars era they would have all differed a bit as they were repaired with whatever was on hand.

John - I really look forward to seeing what you come up with! The Y is the perfect canvas for variety and experimentation. I've long felt that as great as the Y models were overall, that when you get down to studying them the details are inconsistent. The selection and layout of the nernies on the bottom is outstanding, on the top only fair, and it seems like when they got to the sides and the wings the modelmakers were just slapping on whatever fit. This is not to denigrate their artistry, the model was perfect for what it needed to be.

It's a BIG galaxy, there's bound to be variation in it!
I agree the bottom is beautiful coordination of engine parts , it just looks correct , w
swap bottom for top , who'd notice :lol

One of you members inquired about the best way to secure the hex nuts in the bottom shell of the forward fuselage. Thought I would share my recommendations with everyone.

First, it's essential that the nuts and plastic surfaces be completely clean and grease free. Swirl the hex nuts around in a jar with a little bit of lacquer thinner then let dry. DO NOT HANDLE after with bare fingers, use gloves or tweezers. Likewise, clean out the inside of the hexagonal pockets with a Q-Tip (cotton buds for you UKers) soaked with a little lacquer thinner. This is especially important if your shells were from later in the run, after #25 or so, as I started using more release agents to get the molds to last.

Drop a hex nut into each pocket and apply a single drop of thin super glue at the outside edge. DO NOT get any glue on the threads. Let the glue set without using kicker or accelerator. The super glue is really just to hold the nuts in place while the epoxy sets.

Carefully apply a fillet of epoxy around the top of the nut against the walls of the hole, again being careful nut to get any in the threads. My preferred epoxy is JB Weld, the stuff that takes 24 hours to fully cure. IMHO 5 minute epoxies are crap! The reason I don't put epoxy in the hole first to glue down the nut is to prevent any from squishing out into the threads.

Epoxy%20Fillet_zpsrwoiuwzk.jpg

Even with this method, the nuts can pull out if you over tighten the screw. Another option is to mount the front hex nut on the underside of the shell where it will be covered by the torpedo shroud. To do this, first drill out the clearance hole for the bolt all the way through the shell with a 3/16" bit. then using one of the #10 screws to keep the nut aligned with the hole, glue the nut in place on the bottom of the shell with epoxy. This method will allow you to tighten the front screw more without fear of pulling it out. You will need a longer screw for this, a 10-24 x 1 inch socket head cap screw or round head machine screw should work fine.

Bottom%20Nut%20Option_zps4gftftyf.jpg

Dave,

This thread has been quiet for way to long. I know you've been busy making everyone else's Y, but how's yours coming along? Any photos to share?

Mike

ZZZzzzzz. huh? Whatsh? schnort!

Sorry, just trying to rest up and recover from all that fuselage casting! Actually I've been out in the shop working for a bit almost every day on the Y and Y related stuff. Not much of it is worth of posting pix. Among the various things going on right now...

1) I'm trying to get the rest of the doner kit parts molded and returned to several or you very kind members that loaned them to me.

2) Now that I have most of the critical fit parts for the neck section I'm working to update the 3D printing files for those fuselage shells as they are a little too short and too narrow. I've set a goal to get that done this weekend. Once that's done I can get the armatures out to the few remaining people waiting for them.

3) Working on a pattern for the "clip" assemblies on the front of each engine nozzle based on the Kettenkrad hook.

4) Designing a disposable laser cut cardboard jig to perfectly align the Tee struts correctly spaced, square and parallel for gluing.

5) Slowly starting to glue kit parts on my Y. This is the fun part! Actually changing up the placement a fair amount which might annoy the purists but I like it! I'll post some pix when it's a little further along.

6) On another project completely, there are a dozen members who have been very patiently waiting for me to get my Blade Runner Snub Nose Blaster kits done. Those got delayed by the overwhelming response to the Y project. I really need to get those done and out the door!

That's quite a lot of stuff going on Dave.

Thanks for getting to the neck. Woohoo! I have been just about to begin on it with what I have on hand, but will wait now.

Ok, I've been sucked in! First I've been watching this thread and the work and creativeness is so fun to see. While I missed all the runs I can't help but be inspired. I got two pairs of L'eggs last week and dropped some dough on 2 Airfix Saturn Vs on the 'bay today (sorry if anyone was in the group watching those). I've been 3D modeling and printing parts via shapeways for my deagostini falcon and will probably do the same for this. I'll start my own thread at that time but I wanted to thank DaveG and everyone else for all the work and inspiration to get my own Y going.

Hi Dave.

2) Now that I have most of the critical fit parts for the neck section I'm working to update the 3D printing files for those fuselage shells as they are a little too short and too narrow. I've set a goal to get that done this weekend. Once that's done I can get the armatures out to the few remaining people waiting for them.

COOL! :)

3) Working on a pattern for the "clip" assemblies on the front of each engine nozzle based on the Kettenkrad hook.
Would you be keen to offer it a kit set? I can provide the kettenkrad and the end box if you need. I can't find any Bandai BF 109. :(

4) Designing a disposable laser cut cardboard jig to perfectly align the Tee struts correctly spaced, square and parallel for gluing.
That'd be awesome. I did struggle a tad with my first attempt. :(

If anyone's been to the Repository recently you'll see a bunch of files have been pulled down. I'm in the middle of doing some housekeeping, getting rid of some old dusty files before uploading new, shiny clean ones. In particular, there will be a new overall master model file which is up to date including the forward fuselage and canopy (!). It should also include the new reworked neck section. New STL files for these parts will go up as well as any modifications made to the armature because of the revisions.

Stay tuned.

REPOSITORY UPDATE!!!

I have uploaded an up-to-date version of the overall Y-Wing model that can be used in surface modeling programs. It includes the forward fuselage and canopy but does not yet include the neck section as I am still not quite happy with the revisions.

I have also created a new folder in which all of the 3D printing files will be stored. In this folder are STL files for the Forward Fuselage for anyone that wants to take a crack at printing it. A NOTE - These files were made based on the 3D printing processes and machines I would be using. They may not work well on all machines. For example, the recessed panel lines are likely to look like Bantha Poo Doo on an FDM style printer.

Cheers!

DaveG

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back