The Y-Wing "Green Leader" Project - NOW OPEN SOURCE!

Hey does anyone have a better picture of what's going on here, on the backside of the torpedo bay? What kit parts are used, etc? It looks like they actually protrude out of the shell a bit. Thanks!

TORPEDO BAY BACK.JPG

Last edited:
Re: The Y-Wing "Green Leader" Project - NOW OPEN SOURCE!

I think several parts make up that area. The main one is from the Airfix 1/24 Hurricane, it's the same one used on the top and bottoms of the engine spars.

Sent from my SM-N915W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The last time I saw something similar and as cool as this was the ESB AT-ST blueprint by Q, Allan, Julien, and Lee (excuse me if I missed anyone).

It's also a good thing I use Rhino!

Thanks so much for this, Dave! I've put quite some time into my own research but without my kits and material for another 9 months, I have been slow at any progress.

Don (talkierg) has been helping me with my research while I am out of the country. I'll use these files to actually start cutting plastic. Very exciting!

Joe

You're welcome! I'm hoping maybe to start a bit of an Open Source movement here like you see with the R2D2 Builders Group.

So I'm still working on the forward fuselage and cockpit. I'm inclined to share it, but the 3D printing costs on those parts would be fairly high, at least to print right. Consumer FDM style printers could be used to yield a fairly good shape that could be sanded and filled but those kind of prints are a bear to score cleanly. The right way to print them would be using an SLA type process, like Shapeways' Frosted Detail plastic, but the cost would be around $300 per set and parts made of those type of UV cured resins tend to warp over time.

I am considering though possibly going ahead and having those type of high detail prints made, then molding and doing a small run of parts to sell to cover the cost. We'll see.

Thanks Man,
For the forward fuse, I would probably just scratch build it. The 3d model would just help with the dimensions. I wouldnt try to print it myself. Unless I get a 3d printer that is. I've been thinking of building one. I figure I can build one for 3 or 4 Hundred. Great project, Cheers,

Joe

A couple members have sent me PMs asking if I will be posting fuselage files. The answer is a (qualified) yes! I've been printing (and re-printing) the main fuselage to work out the fit issues. Once that's done I will be posting the Rhino and STL files which can be either 3D printed, or used as the basis of a scratch build. Maybe another week or so before they're ready.

I am also worked on a series of YouTube videos for this project. Stay tuned for more on that!

EDIT - Sorry, the YouTube videos never happened.

Last edited:
Good job, Dave. Sharing feels good, doesn't it? ;^)

Back to sanding my engine dome 'buck' made from an plastic Easter egg half...

Regards, Robert

Here are the five shells that make up the bulk of the main fuselage, test fit to the armature. I'm happy with how these parts have turned out. There are a few additional smaller 3D printed parts and some plexiglas plates that will attach to these parts once they've been filled and surface sanded smooth. My approach to designing the shells for the main fuselage was to break it up in such a way that it would be relatively easy to flat sand the various plains. That's why I broke the main part up into 5 sections rather than just split it down the center into two. The smaller parts are also easier to print on a home 3D printer and less likely to warp. All of these were printed on a little Printrbot Play, which only has a 4" x 4" x 5" build volume.

IMG_1450.jpg

IMG_1451.jpg

IMG_1447.jpg

IMG_1452.jpg

IMG_1449.jpg

Last edited:
That is so nuts! The parts look really cool! I played with the armature files all day! I am really impressed with the design of the mounting block! I'm always going to be interested with how ILM built the real armatures, however, your design looks like it will provide more than enough support and stability.

I plan on using .080" styrene to build the fuselage so it'll be equally fun designing a way to fit your mount and center spar. I also plan on having the tee bar machined from aluminum.

Also, hopefully soon I can start shopping for a printer person to make the mount and engine supports. Really crazy amazing project!

Joe

Thanks! This one is really fun. It's the most comprehensive model design I've done in awhile. You're going to love the shells. You should be able to use the Rhino model of the shells to extract patterns from which to cut the .080" styrene. The armature was designed based on .125" thick shells, so .080" styrene will fit, you'll just have to figure out some internal ribs and support structures to tie it all together. Another "hybrid" approach would be to take .040" off the outside surface of the shells, 3D print them and then clad the printed parts with .040" styrene. The front shell and the shells that make up the 'neck' section are only .060" thick so they would have to be thickened on the inside as well. I considered the cladding approach as a styrene surface is nice to work with, but since most of my detail parts are castings I can't use solvent cement to hold them in place anyway, have to go with cyanoacrylate.

If you are in the market for a 3D printer I strongly recommend looking at Printrbots. They are excellent machines at a very reasonable price.

Bufffffff

I don´t have words to describe this work

Not only its quality, but your absoluty generosity!
Very nice pictures, dimensional drawings. (not sure about this expresion, in Spanish, planos acotados). and...... Files to work with Autocad!!!!!!

bufffff!

thanks a lot.

Luis

Wow, you've got that little printer fine tuned ! Very nice looking parts. I've heard 3d printers can be a real bear to get right. Glad to see you have yours humming. Won't be long and we can grab a file off the net, and print an SS model in one go. I hope not too soon, as that will take all the fun out of it, :( I still like the use of the computer and CNC to build models. Makes it very precise. Looking good Man !

Well, the whole point of model building as a hobby is to build models. To print a SS model in one go... probably not going to be practical for awhile. And it will be VERY expensive. I love using 3D printing, laser cutting and CNC technologies as a timesaver and as a means of obtaining precision a little easier, or faster. But there's nothing that the printer is doing on this project that I haven't done before, by hand. If this tech had been available back in the day, you can bet they guys that built the original models would have been using it!

The FDM printer that I'm using for these parts is finely tuned, and it took a lot of fussing with to get it that way. The surfaces are pretty nice. but as you'll see coming up, I'm going to have to fill and block sand every surface to get something that will look good with paint on it. And as far as fine detail go, there's a limit.

This project is still going to require a lot of hands on skills to finish. There won't be a complete kit of parts for the Y ready to print and assemble. Most of the surface details will have to be done the old fashioned way, with kit parts, or castings of kit parts or scratch built. But at least all t these 3D printed parts will give myself, and anyone else that wants to tackle building it, a leg up, or at least the encouragement to start.

Last edited:
For those of you that need something for your Y-Wing to attack, the files for my (Uber) Death Star Laser Tower are now online for open source use!

Last edited:
Re: The Y-Wing "Green Leader" Project - NOW OPEN SOURCE!

THE GITHUB REPOSITORY HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN AND A NEW GOOGLE DRIVE SET UP IN IT'S PLACE.

The GitHub system is just too difficult to navigate and update so I've switched over to posting the files in a public folder on Google Drive instead.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BwDa06cjX-frNFY2d25BR0R5RUU

- - - Updated - - -

The STL files for the Main Fuselage are now posted along with updated Master Model Files and a new ReadMe file. Please read the ReadMe file, there's some good info in there!

As I post new parts I will also be posting an updated Master Model file which contains surface model versions of everything posted to date, and then deleting the old master file. Be sure to check the Master Model Files folder for the latest version. You will still need to download the individual STL files if you want to 3D print the parts. (Actually, if you know how, you can export STLs from the master model if desired.)

I printed out the current iteration of the forward fuselage and canopy. It was split into five sections to fit on a small 4x4x4 inch desktop printer. This isn't how I'll choose to print the hero part but it's fine to allow me to see the form in conjunction with the rest of the model. It's pretty cool!

IMG_1454.jpg IMG_1455.jpg IMG_1456.jpg IMG_1459.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back