CGI Death Star Model - Clear Acrylic+LEDs

nick daring

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I adore the vector CGI during the Trench Run briefing.

Death+Star+Attack+Briefing.jpg

a7ea9fe3-fa43-49fa-90f8-52febe8c4b0b.jpg

Some cool videos of the original graphics and some fan recreations-

I had a weird idea to try and replicate the abstract Death Star model from that animated sequence using a edge-lit acrylic methodology.
multicolored-edgelit-signs.jpg

And my 30 second "proof of concept" test made from a clear Xmas Ornament I had laying around and my dremel.

IMG_7920.JPGIMG_7903.JPGIMG_7908.JPGIMG_7910.JPGIMG_7913.JPGIMG_7915.JPGIMG_7880.JPG

And here is my attempt at simulating properly "edge lighting" the acrylic-
IMG_7917.JPG

Excusing the poor lighting and my smudgy fingerprints, the effect seems promising for 30 seconds worth of effort!
Is there a way to etch the dots and lines into a curved acrylic surface like this with a high degree of precision? Replicating the computer perfect spacing will really sell the look of the final piece.

I also think proper edge lighting could be achieved by drilling a hole in the bottom and lining up some small directional LEDs along the cut edge and then covering them from above to hide the glare.

Thoughts?

IMG_7880.JPG

IMG_7903.JPG

IMG_7908.JPG

IMG_7910.JPG

IMG_7913.JPG

IMG_7915.JPG

IMG_7917.JPG

IMG_7920.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. Mount a flexible metal straightedge to at pivot at the pole of your hemisphere, then mark out your degrees of rotation on a temporary base at your 'equator.' Line up the straightedge with your first mark, make the etchings, then rotate however many degrees and repeat.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back