1:1 Rocket Racoon & Groot

JOATRASH FX

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello all. My project time is spread very thin at present, with a lot of my GotG stuff making slow progress, but right now I've made a little bit of a start on my life-size statue of Rocket. The intent is to have a statue/puppet of Rocket that is poseable so that I can display him alone or have him on my shoulder when I eventually get around to making a Groot suit. As with all my Guardians efforts, I aim to do as much of the work as possible by myself. Here's where I'm at right now.

I decided right off that this would be a hybrid project that uses both old-school hand techniques and 3d printing. I wanted the statue to be as lightweight as possible so that I can have it on my shoulder for extended periods, which is why I decided to digitally sculpt and print parts of Rocket's "skeleton". I also wanted to quickly be able to change his expression, because I concluded that the single largest challenge in this project will be to capture the unique personality of Rocket as he is on screen. I was worried that he might end up looking like an angry wolf-dog instead of the wry, sarcastic little fellow that he is.

Gauging where his "skin" would be without the fur was the first challenge.
12065564_1614291002167871_4654961639142720703_n.jpg

I've very rarely worked with fur or hair and I want the end result to look real. I decided against using real fur for ethical reasons so I needed to find a way to make his faux fur look like it does on-screen. I did some quick testing with various glues and paints on a throwaway prototype skull to nail down some techniques.
12196313_1614291005501204_6452820781389848895_n.jpg

I then further refined my head model, making sure to give it a lot of asymmetry. Features have to be exaggerated a lot to accommodate for the smoothing that the fur will do. I made his lower jaw separate so that it would be easier to work with and so that I could modify his expression a bit if needed.
11218213_1614291045501200_2186869207283978134_n.jpg

I haven't done much "organic" modeling, so I thought I'd try my hand at sculpting his nose in the computer. Turned out rather nice. The skull is 3d printed in 200 microns (very low resolution); I didn't need higher since it'll all be covered anyway and a rough surface helps the glue grip. Even so, the skull is a around a 20-hour print and uses a lot of plastic! The nose is actually a 20 micron (0.02mm!) print. Pores would be added to the nose later.
12196313_1614291048834533_5538894073376174050_n.jpg
Skull covered in masking tape for fur-patterning. Teeth and tongue (not pictured) were also printed but his lips and eye sockets are sculpted in clay. (The eyes are bought ready-made.) So much of his personality is in his eyes and I wasn't really sure that this would look right in the end.
rocketeyetest.jpg

Painted up the inside of his mouth and gave him his second eye. Trying out a few different mouth positions. I still don't know if this will look right once the fur goes on, but I think that I can see at least a little bit or Rocket in these last two shots. (Once the bushy eyebrows go on they'll give him his trademark scowl.)
rocket_jawpos.jpg

More to come as I go along...

Last edited:
Re: Rocket Racoon 1:1 poseable statue build

Very cool work as always. I really like what you're doing so far. I've had the full size rocket idea floating around in the back of my head for a while now. You might have just given me the push I needed to start my own.

Definitely along for the ride (as always!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starting to add fur. Right now it's much too fluffy and he looks more like Sprocket from Fraggle Rock than Rocket Racoon, but trimming and matting the fur with special mixture of PVAglue, acrylic clear coat and water should take care of that.

rocket_fur2.jpg

This profile shot looks promising when compared to how he looks in the film. Ears are much too small now that he has fur, so I'll have to replace them with bigger ones. I might also have to give him a bigger nose depending on how it looks once the fur is flat.

attachment.php

I'm still worried about being able to capture that special look that Rocket has. It's incredibly difficult to duplicate it with something like fur, since it does really "behave" when you work with it and having to guess at how his bone structure looks underneath doesn't make it easier.

Attachments

• rocket_fur1.jpg
    rocket_fur1.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 1,654

Beautiful! Whiskers will add so much in terms of personality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time for a loooooooong overdue update. Life has been busy, taking away appendixes and making kits for people so I haven't had a lot of time to devote to this little guy, but I'm back on it. Fur has been changed, trimmed and the eyes resculpted.

At first I didn't want to do Rocket's trademark scowl, because it's the look just about everyone goes for, but I ultimately decided that "friendly Rocket" just didn't work as well... and really wouldn't work sitting on my shoulder as Groot holding onto his huge gun. So now he's scowling.

He also has larger ears and a slightly larger nose, sculpted out of Sugru (for that soft, rubbery feel) over a 3d printed base.

I can finally see a little of his personality in the build. It's Rocket and not some random racoon.

Still a ways to go before I start on his arms and legs:

• More trimming to do
  • Ears need fur
  • The area around his eyes need subtle fur stubble (model grass)
  • The entire head needs to be airbrushed to give him the correct pattern
  • Need to go over the entire head with PVA glue and water to make his fur more ragged.
  • Whiskers!
rocket_x2.jpg

Great work...I have a friend here in the Sacramento area that makes professional animal costumes for Disney and others.....I think your work with the fur is great....she does us real fur though, its all from farms that do that kind of product....it is easy to work with and make amazing realistic animals.....cant wait to see the finished Rocket.....

Awesome build project! Your hard work is paying off, it really does look like Rocket and not just some raccoon. I can only imagine how great it will look once finished. I'm excited!

.I think your work with the fur is great....she does us real fur though, its all from farms that do that kind of product....it is easy to work with and make amazing realistic animals.....cant wait to see the finished Rocket.....

Thanks. : )

I actually considered using real fur at first but decided against it for ethical reasons. I'm fine with leather, since we eat the meat, but I don't want to think of animals bred and killed because I wanted to build a display toy every time I look at it...

New ears w-i-p!

I had to redo the ears because I made them too thick and stubby. This image is just plain ugly, but they'll look right when finished.

ears.jpg

Using resin and thick superglue to coat the ears with fur. Gluing the entire faux fur with backing would have made them much too bushy, so I opted to glue strands of hair directly to the plastic. Rocket has pretty thin, wispy fur on his ears. The insides of the ears and some areas of his face (such as around his eyes) will be covered in model grass flock, because it's perfect for short stubble.

I've been making slow but steady progress on this build. I've ordered a felxible child-size mannequin to use as a base for the body.

After experimenting with 6-7 different pairs of ears of different sizes and shapes I finally settled on a set that I was happy with. So I'm a bit tired of making ears!

I also began matting down the fur with PVA glue and water. Still needs a bit more styling but it's getting there.

Next up will be the coloring of his fur using a combination of dyes and airbrush to get the correct pattern. I did a quick test in Photoshop (bottom image) to give me some ideas before I start "for real". I think he's finally starting to look more "alive" and with a bit of luck he will not look like a stuffed animal when he's done.

rocket_furtesting.jpg

Overall it is looking great. Not sure if it is lighting, but the whole thing is looking just a bit dark. Rocket is a little brighter brown than the photoshop coloring. :)

I know, it's the lighting and blends. To quickly blend the different shades of feaux fur, I had to use an overall blending filter that was darker. The base brown of the fur is actually pretty close to Rocket's real color viewed irl. I just needed some ideas as to what darkening will do, because the fur pattern is a big part of his personality. In the top image he still looks like a dog!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back