Dredd Boots

JayRa

Hey there,

This is going to be my first elaborate costume, also helped by the fact that you can just throw a lot of money at it and it'll come together. I'm no particularly gifted in the talent and time department.

The one thing, besides the Lawgiver, that will take some work though are the boots.

I'm going to ask a local cobbler (that's the name for the leather guy, right?) to see what he can do with the stuff I have and do the rest myself.
I hope he'll be able to
glue the toecaps
glue the heelarmor
glue the shiftguards
attach the SIDI clasps (with the screws provided or Chicago ones)
attach the shinguard on the non-strapped side (Chicago screws or rivets should do, right?)

I'm not quite sure what the options are as far as the shinguard on the strapped side is. From what I was able to gather the strap retainers are glued into a cut out bit in the shin guard. What kind of glue works best here? What other options are there?
Then, the straps are fed through and under the shinguard with the extra length lingering there, right?

Anything else I should know/do/pay attention to?

Back from the guy. He's not willing and/or able to do the stuff.
So I guess I'm back with a few additional questions:
- From what I've gathered the Bawzprops rubber pieces that I've got are going to get glued onto the boot. Sand the rubber, sand the leather apply glue and press firmly? I was just told that the shiftguard would be pretty tricky to keep on as it is right in the sweet spot where the boot bends while walking. Any experiences/tips on that front?
- The shinguard I figure I will attach with a Chicago screw on the non-strapped side. Does anybody know other names for those screws, respectively what they might be called in German or French? I've also just come back from a pretty well-stocked and informed loval hardware store and the only thing they could think of were those screws you get with your Ikea wardrobes in case you need to screw two or more together next to each other.
- As far as the other side is concerned, the information I have comes from this collection (https://imgur.com/a/XbPha) but I can't get what is being used to stick the strap retainer in place. I don't think hot glue will cut it.

Sorry I cant help, but I will be following your thread with interest.
I have an old pair of motorcycle boots and have been collecting parts (toe guard, shin pieces, SIDI straps) and intend on putting together the boots at some point.

I am sure someone will chime in and give you advice!

You need Chicago screws to fix the straps. You need Black Super Glue by Sure Loc to attach the heels,toes & E6000 to fix the gear lever patch. Chicago Screws to fix the shins. The Sure Loc will glue the strap retainers in place but you could use copper wire as a rivet to hold them to the shin if you wanted. There's a guide on the Judge Dredd Costume Group on Facebook.
Keying the surface is neccessary to getting the rubber to stick & masking tape is useful for holding the rubber in place while the glue sets. When fixing the gearshift rubber,stuff the boot with newspaper. It helps if you test fit each piece before gluing so you can position each piece as fast as possible. Some help or another set of hands will be required to tape the pieces down in the place you want them. I'll have to wait till i'm on the PC to post pictures or links.

I used Black Rubber Superglue Sure loc to attached the Heels and Toes Pieces. I then Drilled holes in my Boots and attached the Shins with Chicago Screws. As mentioned Join the Judge Dredd Costume Group on facebook, plenty of Tutorials and advise. My Judge Uniform was my first ever Costume Build and the advise I recieved was fantastic. Good Luck with your Boots :cool

P1000632.JPG P1000630.JPG

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back