Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17222324252627
Subscribe
  1. Roboted's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2015
    Messages
    244
    Jul 15, 2017, 6:59 PM - Re: Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon GROUP build awakens! OPEN TO EVERYONE! :) #651

    Hey everyone, Im 90% sure im getting the 1/72 scale bandai falcon most likely on the second run around september possibly sooner. Im going to start a new group build thread for that too if everyone wants to come on board, i will be starting the new thread shortly and will post the link here. Hope all you guys are going on the new journey at some point soon too


    NEW BUILD THREAD HERE:

    https://www.therpf.com/showthread.ph...94#post4280494
    Last edited by Roboted; Jul 15, 2017 at 7:18 PM.
  2. Victor3's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2013
    Messages
    372
    Jul 15, 2017, 9:43 PM - Re: Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon GROUP build awakens! OPEN TO EVERYONE! :) #652

    nkg said: View Post
    The docking ring cones on the Bandai 144 Falcon are 26mm in diameter at the base or wide point, about 9.6mm in height, and about 20.5mm in diameter at the outer point.
    Cool, thanks!
  3. Member Since
    Apr 2017
    Messages
    6
    Jul 28, 2017, 12:18 PM - Re: Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon GROUP build awakens! OPEN TO EVERYONE! :) #653

    Hello all,
    Bit of slow progress but finally got the base coat down on the model.

    Question... should I add the water decals and THEN weather or the other way around? Obviously only with one set of water decals I don't want to get it wrong.

    Any thoughts?
  4. Axlotl's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2001
    Messages
    2,429
    Jul 28, 2017, 12:50 PM - Re: Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon GROUP build awakens! OPEN TO EVERYONE! :) #654

    Decals, protective clear-coat, then weather.
  5. Member Since
    Apr 2017
    Messages
    6
    Aug 1, 2017, 3:23 AM - Re: Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon GROUP build awakens! OPEN TO EVERYONE! :) #655

    Axlotl said: View Post
    Decals, protective clear-coat, then weather.
    Brilliant, thank you. What do you use as a clear-coat? I guess it would be a Matt finish?
  6. RPF Janitor RPF Premium Member Lear60man's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2003
    Messages
    3,982
    Aug 1, 2017, 4:52 AM - Re: Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon GROUP build awakens! OPEN TO EVERYONE! :) #656

    hawkeyephil said: View Post
    Brilliant, thank you. What do you use as a clear-coat? I guess it would be a Matt finish?
    Yes Matte. Axloti is correct for the process....at least thats what I did for my Deagostini Falcon.
  7. Shaunpug's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2015
    Messages
    75
    Aug 2, 2017, 1:35 PM - Re: Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon GROUP build awakens! OPEN TO EVERYONE! :) #657

    I thought I'd finally post my completed Falcon here!
    Stock kit with only Tirydium Models lighting added.
    I tried to be subtle but still think that some of the streaking may have turned out a bit too harsh.
    I was trying to practice many techniques so I can be ready for the PG 1/72! Thanks to everyone on the forums for the fantastic builds and ideas.
    Thoughts?





















  8. Socrates11's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2017
    Messages
    5
    Aug 2, 2017, 2:57 PM - Re: Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon GROUP build awakens! OPEN TO EVERYONE! :) #658

    Sweet!!! Good job... hope to build this model this year to love the falcon

    Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk
  9. Member Since
    Sep 2016
    Messages
    416
    Aug 2, 2017, 3:19 PM - Re: Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon GROUP build awakens! OPEN TO EVERYONE! :) #659

    Paintwork worthy of the five footer!
  10. Axlotl's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2001
    Messages
    2,429
    Aug 2, 2017, 6:11 PM - Re: Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon GROUP build awakens! OPEN TO EVERYONE! :) #660

    Beautiful, man!
  11. Shaunpug's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2015
    Messages
    75
    Aug 2, 2017, 6:23 PM - Re: Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon GROUP build awakens! OPEN TO EVERYONE! :) #661

    nkg said: View Post
    Paintwork worthy of the five footer!
    Wow thank you so much!

    Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
  12. Shaunpug's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2015
    Messages
    75
    Aug 2, 2017, 6:24 PM - Re: Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon GROUP build awakens! OPEN TO EVERYONE! :) #662

    Axlotl said: View Post
    Beautiful, man!
    Thank you! You can never tell looking at your own work if it's any good

    Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
  13. Member Since
    Dec 2015
    Messages
    10
    Aug 2, 2017, 10:40 PM - Re: Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon GROUP build awakens! OPEN TO EVERYONE! :) #663

    Great Work! I think this looks phenomenal! I'm currently working on this kit myself and waiting for the PG 1/72 myself. The beauty of the Falcon is that it's difficult to get wrong (MHO)...really any model. Building, painting, weathering, displaying, and so on - it's all about how we interpret, and or see the model for ourselves - how we choose to view it/enjoy it. I know there are a lot of discussions about studio scale, movie accurate, color, the right detail, the wrong detail...and all those things are great for discussion, but remember at the end of the day this is your work and how you chose to make it...and honestly, you would probably find that most people would love to have done half as well as you have on this kit. Most of my friends that see my models in person find it hard to believe that I didn't buy it or hire someone to build it for me! LOL... So I get to impress people that have never built models with my limited modeling talents....Anyway, great job and hope to see more of your work!
  14. Shaunpug's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2015
    Messages
    75
    Aug 2, 2017, 11:46 PM - Re: Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon GROUP build awakens! OPEN TO EVERYONE! :) #664

    Kingramos1 said: View Post
    Great Work! I think this looks phenomenal! I'm currently working on this kit myself and waiting for the PG 1/72 myself. The beauty of the Falcon is that it's difficult to get wrong (MHO)...really any model. Building, painting, weathering, displaying, and so on - it's all about how we interpret, and or see the model for ourselves - how we choose to view it/enjoy it. I know there are a lot of discussions about studio scale, movie accurate, color, the right detail, the wrong detail...and all those things are great for discussion, but remember at the end of the day this is your work and how you chose to make it...and honestly, you would probably find that most people would love to have done half as well as you have on this kit. Most of my friends that see my models in person find it hard to believe that I didn't buy it or hire someone to build it for me! LOL... So I get to impress people that have never built models with my limited modeling talents....Anyway, great job and hope to see more of your work!
    Very true! I'm OCD for wishing I could just have the perfect setup or the exact paints or what have you...but all that would do in the end is make it impossible for me to finish anything haha.

    Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
  15. Roboted's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2015
    Messages
    244
    Aug 3, 2017, 9:01 AM - Re: Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon GROUP build awakens! OPEN TO EVERYONE! :) #665

    You did an amazing job on the falcon and photographed it perfectly, I wish i had gone slower with mine,top stuff dude
  16. Shaunpug's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2015
    Messages
    75
    Aug 3, 2017, 1:05 PM - Re: Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon GROUP build awakens! OPEN TO EVERYONE! :) #666

    Roboted said: View Post
    You did an amazing job on the falcon and photographed it perfectly, I wish i had gone slower with mine,top stuff dude
    Thank you so much! The biggest thing that I take away from each kit is how I need to be even more patient. Haha

    Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
  17. Roboted's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2015
    Messages
    244
    Aug 3, 2017, 1:32 PM - Re: Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon GROUP build awakens! OPEN TO EVERYONE! :) #667

    Shaunpug said: View Post
    Thank you so much! The biggest thing that I take away from each kit is how I need to be even more patient. Haha

    Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Its so true. Iv been building models properly for over two years now, i use to do it when i was a kid but stopped for years and got back into it when i was 28. sometimes i get eager to finish a model and thats usually when mistakes are made. Obsessing about every stage is how you end up with a truely amazing model and every model i build has more obsession in it. I also try to apply a new technique to every new kit i get, which can end up being a problem as i end up having to repair and fix the things i experimented on in the kits.
  18. Shaunpug's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2015
    Messages
    75
    Aug 3, 2017, 2:08 PM - Re: Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon GROUP build awakens! OPEN TO EVERYONE! :) #668

    I just turned 28! So funny. I started back up two years ago. So far I've completed a custom ESB Stormtrooper, Custom Vader, C-3P0, 2 TIEs, Vader's TIE, AT-ST and the tiny Falcon, and I don't plan on stopping!
  19. Member Since
    Apr 2017
    Messages
    6
    Aug 9, 2017, 1:59 PM - Re: Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon GROUP build awakens! OPEN TO EVERYONE! :) #669

    Shaunpug said: View Post
    Thank you! You can never tell looking at your own work if it's any good

    Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Absolutely brilliant! Would you mind sharing what paints you used for the weathering? I'd like to do a similar "streak look" with the browns etc. I've got the Tirydium Models lighting kit too.
  20. Shaunpug's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2015
    Messages
    75
    Aug 9, 2017, 2:50 PM - Re: Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon GROUP build awakens! OPEN TO EVERYONE! :) #670

    hawkeyephil said: View Post
    Absolutely brilliant! Would you mind sharing what paints you used for the weathering? I'd like to do a similar "streak look" with the browns etc. I've got the Tirydium Models lighting kit too.
    No problem!
    The weathering was done with a few things....first was a round of discoloration with oils and odorless turpenoid. After that cured the streaks were done with Starship Filth oil brusher and I believe raw Sienna for the "rust" streaks. After that cured I went in with some vine charcoal and rust colored pastels to add extra contrast on a few if the streaks and other spots. Then I did some misting of Tamiya Smoke in a few areas and a final Matte clear coat mixed with like a drop of neutral grey.

    Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
  21. Member Since
    Apr 2017
    Messages
    6
    Aug 10, 2017, 12:25 PM - Re: Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon GROUP build awakens! OPEN TO EVERYONE! :) #671

    Shaunpug said: View Post
    No problem!
    The weathering was done with a few things....first was a round of discoloration with oils and odorless turpenoid. After that cured the streaks were done with Starship Filth oil brusher and I believe raw Sienna for the "rust" streaks. After that cured I went in with some vine charcoal and rust colored pastels to add extra contrast on a few if the streaks and other spots. Then I did some misting of Tamiya Smoke in a few areas and a final Matte clear coat mixed with like a drop of neutral grey.

    Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Excellent thanks. I'll do some research into these. What brand do you recommend for the final Matte clear coat? There are a few out there but didn't want to get something that will affect the paint colour.
  22. Shaunpug's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2015
    Messages
    75
    Aug 10, 2017, 1:11 PM - Re: Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon GROUP build awakens! OPEN TO EVERYONE! :) #672

    hawkeyephil said: View Post
    Excellent thanks. I'll do some research into these. What brand do you recommend for the final Matte clear coat? There are a few out there but didn't want to get something that will affect the paint colour.
    Other than the Tamiya Smoke I used Vallejo for everything including the clear coats.

    Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
  23. RPF Premium Member BrundelFly's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2001
    From
    Monrovia, CA
    Messages
    2,394
    Aug 13, 2017, 12:49 PM - Re: Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon GROUP build awakens! OPEN TO EVERYONE! :) #673

    Nice Job!
  24. Shaunpug's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 2015
    Messages
    75
    Aug 13, 2017, 1:27 PM - Re: Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon GROUP build awakens! OPEN TO EVERYONE! :) #674

    BrundelFly said: View Post
    Nice Job!
    Thank you!

    Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 222
    Last Post: Jul 4, 2016, 3:47 PM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: Jan 30, 2016, 2:23 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: Sep 11, 2015, 12:46 AM
  4. New 1/144 Fine Molds Millennium Falcon
    moffeaton, General Modeling
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: Aug 25, 2010, 8:36 AM