Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon GROUP build awakens! OPEN TO EVERYONE! :)

Beatiful, dimejinky99, how exactly did you do it? Where'd you copy paste to and from? I've been trying to do it for the longest time and kept getting garbage and words like "mushrooms" and stuff so I just gave up. What you're using would be very very useful for everyone who wants to translate the whole manual. Even though the pics are pretty self-explanatory I still like to see what's written there.

Nice job, there, beans!

Beatiful, dimejinky99, how exactly did you do it? Where'd you copy paste to and from? I've been trying to do it for the longest time and kept getting garbage and words like "mushrooms" and stuff so I just gave up. What you're using would be very very useful for everyone who wants to translate the whole manual. Even though the pics are pretty self-explanatory I still like to see what's written there.

Nice job, there, beans!

Hey no problem!
just download the google translate app on your iphone/hichever phone..its the one that you can take a picture of the text..then it asks you to highlight the text you want to translate, that partis a bit fiddly, but done carefully it works..so you do that then it translates and heres the important part..when it translates, theres a star in the top right corner..hit the star until it highlights..this saves the translation for you so you can check back in later..as to copying it, i just tapped it once and it copied straight away and told me it was copied to clipboard and it was..

i dont know how much use it will have for this kit..but itd be nice to have..i dont know what those litle white arrows are about..does that mean snap fit? i dunno..

anyways hope that helped.

So I used the google translate app to translate the colour chart info in the instruction book that comes with the kit.
Maybe it'll be of some use to you...)

Would it be possible to show the scanned image of the colour chart from the instructions? I dont have the model but would like to see the color chart instructions...I tried to break your translated text into a more understandable format, but would help to see how it was originally laid out as it is still very garbled and confusing...the highlights I made in red are what made no sense to me...perhaps seeing the actual instructions would help :)

i. ■ If you want to finish realistic than, please click here of basic colors ■ The paint we recommend that you use a more secure "water-based paint" ■ color blending are just for reference image and a color guide color There are cases where it is different

Body light gray part: matte white (5596) + Garugure 4596)
body panel gray part (thin): Aircraft Gray (90%) + matte white (10%)
body panel gray part (dark): Aircraft Gray (7096 ) + matte black (30%) + Blue (very small amounts)
body panel yellow part: cream yellow (10096) Wood Brown (small amount)
fin face: Wood Brown (1 0096)

Body light gray Garugure (45%) LT body panel Wight (10%)
17 Craft gray body panel gray part (thin): Air Craft Gray + matte white (10%)
body panel gray part (dark): Aircraft Gray (70 matte black (30%) + Blue (very small amounts)
Hutu body panel yellow part: cream yellow (10096 Wood Brown (small amount)
fin face: Wood Brown (1 0096

Jacket) + Red Brown (20%) + matte black (1 096)
fin Han Sorozubon Black (1 0096) Ray,
Han Solo face: pale brown (1 0096)
Ray sleeve Aircraft gray such as (1 0096)
Ray clothing: Aircraft Gray (70%) + Light Brown

Koreiberuto such as: Red Brown (100%)
Han Solo hair: gray (60%) + White (40%) 3 Black (30%) ~Tsu Application: Wood Brown (70%)
Han Solo Jacket: Wood Brown (70%) + ■
Han Solo Shirt: White (100%)
Chewbacca: RLM79 Sandy Brown (10096) + Wood Brown (small amount

...I dont know, thats the best I could make sense of it???

Last edited by a moderator:
I've tried it few times, Imurme, and the same result pops up each time. I'm wondering the same way you are i'm afraid. As to scanning the colour chart, lots of problems with that, mainly I don't have a scanner but also it wouldnt be faithful to the original if i did and we dont know the one in print is all that reliable to begin with. If i'm honest the Falcons paint job looks really dark on the Bandai box, which is strange given some builders seem to be going for that bright red and yellow flashes.

If i figure something out, i'll come back to you for sure. But that app is helpful for the rest of the instructions, you can fill in the blanks and mistranslations easily.

I've tried it few times, Imurme, and the same result pops up each time. I'm wondering the same way you are i'm afraid. As to scanning the colour chart, lots of problems with that, mainly I don't have a scanner but also it wouldnt be faithful to the original if i did and we dont know the one in print is all that reliable to begin with. If i'm honest the Falcons paint job looks really dark on the Bandai box, which is strange given some builders seem to be going for that bright red and yellow flashes.

If i figure something out, i'll come back to you for sure. But that app is helpful for the rest of the instructions, you can fill in the blanks and mistranslations easily.

Here is a better translation I made showing aproximate colors based on Mr Hobby Aqueous Hobby Colors...I used an image of the instructions I found online to help figure it out better.

bandai_color_chart.jpg

One thing I thought was strange about the Bandai falcon colors is that there are no red colored panels shown, but they are definitely on the TFA falcon in the film.

Last edited:
Personally, I don't know if I trust model companies for their colour suggestions.

If anything, you should ask the modelers who've done the best job matching the studio models.

And spend a LOT of time looking at pics of the studio model

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

I just watched FXtv's special on TFA and had a giggle at the Computer modelers having the same dillemma about the colourscheme for the Falcon :) He said it took 2 years to get it right.

He also said they went off the 5 footer, which I thought was interesting. FA Falcon looks a lot almost cleaner than previously?

Plus the scene in the freighter hangar bay, It almost looks like an MPC falcon..the sidewals are really tall & the whole ship a lot fatter vertically & stumpier..but that ould jut be camera angles i spose.

He also said they went off the 5 footer, which I thought was interesting. FA Falcon looks a lot almost cleaner than previously?
Your right, if the red plating was more faded it would be plausible the environment conditions acted like sand blasting to clean it up
also like all old machines , if they are not running for a while all the various oil leaks dry up , making them more subdued

Your right, if the red plating was more faded it would be plausible the environment conditions acted like sand blasting to clean it up
also like all old machines , if they are not running for a while all the various oil leaks dry up , making them more subdued

That makes Total sense. I was wondering the first couple of times I saw the film how being in the sun for years as well as the sand action would play on the hull.

Not sure of its true but I read an earlier version of the script had Rey discovering the Falcon almost totally buried in sand and Han and Chewie digging it out. Not sure if that was fact as an early version or not though.

Ok so i'm almost ready to go. Any help or suggestions welcome as I'm sure i've screwed up here a few times.

Got an AS186 compressor & 2 airbrushes, both double action, one with a gravity pot and a compressor, that frankly i'm afraid of and don't know how to set to the correct pressure.
12626113_10154505540683032_1291180412_n.jpg
Tamiya decktan is sold out everywhere across the UK&Ireland it seems, as the DeAgostini Falcon builders seem to have bought up all the stock(the guy in the model shop told me this :) )
So my first schoolboy error was buying XF78 wooden deck tan, thinking I could just use a higher ratio of flat white when i'm doing the base coat. We'll see about that.

Brought the decal sheet with me & just got paints slightly lighter in shade than those on the sheet.
Got some thinners, tamiya flat white & medium sea gray(XF83) some vallejo white grey, grey and USAF medium grey. and decided i'm gonna use a spray tin of tamiya rubber black TS82 as a basecoat, it looks a lot more warm than flat black. This is probably a big mistake, please let me know if it is.
12606971_10154505538333032_2058179189_n.jpg

Wanted my falcon to be a cleaner warmer colour than my previous attempts. Wondering can i make a mix of these colours and if anyone has some ratio tips i'd be grateful, if all of this isn't blasphemy and you wanna scream at me that is :)

i'm probably gonna chicken out and just use the airbrush for the base coat and then handpaint everything..the airbrush scares the bejesus outta me:)

Do some practice shooting any paint on some card first get to know the equipment you're using, go with what ever colors feel right to you
Ok so i'm almost ready to go. Any help or suggestions welcome as I'm sure i've screwed up here a few times.

Got an AS186 compressor & 2 airbrushes, both double action, one with a gravity pot and a compressor, that frankly i'm afraid of and don't know how to set to the correct pressure.
View attachment 582297
Tamiya decktan is sold out everywhere across the UK&Ireland it seems, as the DeAgostini Falcon builders seem to have bought up all the stock(the guy in the model shop told me this :) )
So my first schoolboy error was buying XF78 wooden deck tan, thinking I could just use a higher ratio of flat white when i'm doing the base coat. We'll see about that.

Brought the decal sheet with me & just got paints slightly lighter in shade than those on the sheet.
Got some thinners, tamiya flat white & medium sea gray(XF83) some vallejo white grey, grey and USAF medium grey. and decided i'm gonna use a spray tin of tamiya rubber black TS82 as a basecoat, it looks a lot more warm than flat black. This is probably a big mistake, please let me know if it is.
View attachment 582298

Wanted my falcon to be a cleaner warmer colour than my previous attempts. Wondering can i make a mix of these colours and if anyone has some ratio tips i'd be grateful, if all of this isn't blasphemy and you wanna scream at me that is :)

i'm probably gonna chicken out and just use the airbrush for the base coat and then handpaint everything..the airbrush scares the bejesus outta me:)

Thanks thebeans..gonna play mixing flat white with a small amount of medium sea grey and a tiny smallest possible touch of the dumb&wrong wooden deck tan

There are tons of online video tutorials aimed at beginners. That's how I learned. :)

was the Falcons primary fuel a fossil fuel? why the smoke stains on the exhaust? can we use coal to get to lightspeed??
has anyone ever wondered? :lol

View attachment 582297

View attachment 582298

here is a guy who provides great video tutorials on everything model related, these are on airbrush and techniques
his site is great as well, enjoy your homework.....watch them all
http://youtu.be/X2_YEoGunu0

http://youtu.be/U5BAqPQCpGg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back