Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon GROUP build awakens! OPEN TO EVERYONE! :)

I hate painting figures and it's the first time I've painted figures that are this small, how'm i doin?
1stfalcon figures1.jpg 1stfalcon figures2.jpg

Just now realising the bandai comes with a sticker set as well as a decal set..man, those stickers are tiny!! the cockpit ones look painful!
wonder what the thinking was including a sticker set?

be cool to stick them on a scale print out of the Falcon..

Just now realising the bandai comes with a sticker set as well as a decal set..man, those stickers are tiny!! the cockpit ones look painful!
wonder what the thinking was including a sticker set?

be cool to stick them on a scale print out of the Falcon..

Dont bother. they will fall off after a few months, especially the small ones. The decals are the way to go. i thought its a shame as they do look like nice stickers tho. i guess its for the parent/kid builds that take an afternoon. its crazy to think these kits are for newbies too. such a cool thing that bandai really goes for the whole market :)

image.jpeg

Alright, last update (almost!) from me! Sure you guys are tired of seeing this one already.
I went in and picked out some final details and color shifted the Falcon with a few passes of oil paints.

I'll get some nicer shots outside after the weekend and update this post, but I hope the cell phone pic gets the point across well! I left quite a few color references in the photo, so you can base it off of something else. Brown paper, blue shop towel, etc.

Always open to comments and criticism as well. :)

Last edited:
Dont bother. they will fall off after a few months, especially the small ones. The decals are the way to go. i thought its a shame as they do look like nice stickers tho. i guess its for the parent/kid builds that take an afternoon. its crazy to think these kits are for newbies too. such a cool thing that bandai really goes for the whole market :)

i bet! sorry for the confusion i meant just print out a falcon on paper or card & paint it up & then put the stickers on..or just stick them on a notebook cover in the correct pattern without even a diagram underneath..could look cool, put some clear contact over when its finished..shame to waste em.

View attachment 580192

Alright, last update (almost!) from me! Sure you guys are tired of seeing this one already.
I went in and picked out some final details and color shifter the Falcon with a few passes of oil paints.

I'll get some nicer shots outside after the weekend and update this post, but I hope the cell phone pic gets the point across well! I left quite a few color references in the photo, so you can base it off of something else. Brown paper, blue shop towel, etc.

Always open to comments and criticism as well. :)
well done, you have toned down the engines , people always make them too dark ,
the level of weathering each of us apply is very personal , and it's made more complex by trying to interpret the colours of the studio miniatures .
also studio miniatures are over done to be picked up on film, so personal models don't necessarily need as much.
so I would age it as much as you feel happy with, but maybe don't seal it , live with it for a couple of weeks before you put your Matt varnish on, that way you can lift off more if you feel like it.

Thank you Vacformedhero.

I think a lot of the problem with the first few pics was the lighting. I didn't really take anything off the engine section at all.

Do you think it needs to be lightened even more? I've already sealed it, but I can definitely go back and lighten areas up. Any suggestions?

Can this build be done without an airbrush is what I'm wondering?
I really want to get started but have no airbrush and looking at all the extras needed that are necessary with airbrushing has discouraged me from starting.

Made a few Ertl Falcons without any of that.
Im stumped.

Absolutely it can be done without an airbrush. Use spray cans for the main color, Insignia White like Tamiya AS-20 is a good start. The various colored panels can be painted by brush or masked and sprayed. The Tamiya sprays can be applied lightly if done carefully and they dry very smooth. Then the weathering, streaks, smudges etc. can be done with pastel chalks applied with a brush.

Absolutely it can be done without an airbrush. Use spray cans for the main color, Insignia White like Tamiya AS-20 is a good start. The various colored panels can be painted by brush or masked and sprayed. The Tamiya sprays can be applied lightly if done carefully and they dry very smooth. Then the weathering, streaks, smudges etc. can be done with pastel chalks applied with a brush.
Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like there are fewer panel colours on the ANH/Tfa falcon than on the 32" version .

You could probably do the whole thing with a primer, an as20, red, yellow, and a couple of grey rattle cans.

Which will still come to 50 bucks.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Thanks lads. Found an airbrush with all its bits n pieces and a compressor for €60. Meeting the guy on Sunday to give it a spin. Hopefully it'll do the trick :)
gonna do lots of rehearsing with it before I go near the Bandai :)

The best advice I ever got when I got my first air brush is practice making lines on carboard. Adjusting the distance and spray width to get use to the
different spray patterns. Second was if you spray is spotty its not thin enough. Third. Clean thoroughly after each painting session. Have fun.

i bet! sorry for the confusion i meant just print out a falcon on paper or card & paint it up & then put the stickers on..or just stick them on a notebook cover in the correct pattern without even a diagram underneath..could look cool, put some clear contact over when its finished..shame to waste em.

Oh sorry lol. that sounds like a nice way to at least make use of the stickers. i never throw any thing away when it comes to models. i keep most of the sprues as well. you never know when you might need some pipe or squished hexagenal shapes haha.

So I used the google translate app to translate the colour chart info in the instruction book that comes with the kit.
Maybe it'll be of some use to you.

i. ■ If you want to finish realistic than, please click here of basic colors ■ The paint we recommend that you use a more secure "water-based paint" ■ color blending are just for reference image and a color guide color There are cases where it is different

Body light gray part: matte white (5596) + Garugure 4596) body panel gray part (thin): Aircraft Gray (90%) + matte white (10%) body panel gray part (dark): Aircraft Gray (7096 ) + matte black (30%) + Blue (very small amounts) body panel yellow part: cream yellow (10096) Wood Brown (small amount) fin face: Wood Brown (1 0096)

Body light gray Garugure (45%) LT body panel Wight (10%): 17 Craft gray body panel gray part (thin): Air Craft Gray + matte white (10%) body panel gray part (dark): Aircraft Gray (70 matte black (30%) + Blue (very small amounts) Hutu body panel yellow part: cream yellow (10096 Wood Brown (small amount) fin face: Wood Brown (1 0096

Jacket) + Red Brown (20%) + matte black (1 096) fin Han Sorozubon Black (1 0096) Ray, Han Solo face: pale brown (1 0096) Ray sleeve Aircraft gray such as (1 0096) Ray clothing: Aircraft Gray (70%) + Light Brown

Koreiberuto such as: Red Brown (100%) Han Solo hair: gray (60%) + White (40%) 3 Black (30%) ~Tsu Application: Wood Brown (70%) Han Solo Jacket: Wood Brown (70%) + ■ Han Solo Shirt: White (100%) Chewbacca: RLM79 Sandy Brown (10096) + Wood Brown (small amount)

The best advice I ever got when I got my first air brush is practice making lines on carboard. Adjusting the distance and spray width to get use to the
different spray patterns. Second was if you spray is spotty its not thin enough. Third. Clean thoroughly after each painting session. Have fun.

Two additional pointers I'd like to add to airbrushing 101...instead of paint, practice with distilled water instead, sprayed on a piece of butcher paper taped to the wall. No paints/cleaners/solvent/fumes to worry about during your sessions and when the water evaporates, you can hit the same surface again. There was another paper medium that turned dark when it got wet and lightened up once again when it dried out but the name escapes me.

Second, before you even put anything through your airbrush, learn to break it down and re-assemble it with no fear. This is part of airbrush ownership! :)

Second, before you even put anything through your airbrush, learn to break it down and re-assemble it with no fear. This is part of airbrush ownership! :)

Yeah... I'm holding out increasingly little hope for the one I bought when I was 16 and has been sat in my parent's garage pretty much since! :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back