Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon GROUP build awakens! OPEN TO EVERYONE! :)

Small progress while I wait for paint to come in stock and 3D parts to arrive. Here are all six grills test fitted. The outer ring angles are a bit approximate (so hard to get 100% with superglue). The thick bars are slightly off on one, but you can't see that with the naked eye so I'm happy the others all seem to line up under magnification!
falcon_all_grills.jpg
Also, I've thinned more of the pipes that go in the cavities on the top. This was painstaking and done by digging them out from the back with the very tip of a scalpel. Hours of work! Although it's not 100% and not as good as replacing them with wire, they actually blend in now and will look OK I think with weathering. Also a close up of the starboard front scar, which I worked on more to make it slightly more screen accurate.
falcon_thinned_wires.jpg
This is such a nice kit. With care and some modifications, it really starts to take on the look of a much bigger model

I am doing a 1/72 MPC ROTJ kit (not to the full customization extent as many do) but I am changing out some piping and I want to do my engine vents and the vent around the cockpit. Can you tell me where I might find those same parts for my kit? And I can definitely relate to the eye strain and mine is even easier to see. I got a headlamp, glasses and a magnifier =D Lee

Hi lee, im also doing the MPC. TonyRR on shapeways.com does all sorts of amazing upgrades for all the falcon kits including the MPC. Heres a link to the MPC section of his shop:

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/308bits?section=Falcon+MPC&s=0

And the engine vents he is now selling:
http://www.shapeways.com/product/VHSVMZYJ3/millennium-mpc-engine-vents?optionId=58644175&li=cart

If you sign up to shaeways, they often have free shipping promotion and money off, if your willing to wait for those.

Hope this was helpful :)

Does anyone who has purchased the aftermarket turret windows have the old clear turret pieces they can spare? I've botched mine and need to start over. Much appreciated.

Quick question, Falcon builders... I'm using rattle cans of Tamiya AS20 for my bird which is hella expensive, so I want to be efficient with it. How many sub-assemblies are you painting for good coverage? I'd be inclined to paint a lot of the parts (including greeblie pipes) separately but laying it out I can see myself getting through three or four cans.

Quick question, Falcon builders... I'm using rattle cans of Tamiya AS20 for my bird which is hella expensive, so I want to be efficient with it. How many sub-assemblies are you painting for good coverage? I'd be inclined to paint a lot of the parts (including greeblie pipes) separately but laying it out I can see myself getting through three or four cans.

You will get a lot more bang for your buck if you decant it into a bottle and then use your airbrush.

There are many youtube videos on it

You will get a lot more bang for your buck if you decant it into a bottle and then use your airbrush.

There are many youtube videos on it

Cheers. I remembered recently that I actually have a suction feed Badger 200 Airbrush at my parent's house from probably 20 years ago. I doubt I treated it right so it might need some TLC. On the downside, I used acrylics with it. On the plus side, I suspect they were cheap artist's acrylics so (from my experience) they should be more susceptible to most methods of cleaning than the decent stuff. Desktop compressors are much cheaper than I thought so I intend to switch once I get through my current stash of rattle cans. However, I guess I could decant and do the switch now. I've got some stuff stashed I could use as the guinea pig :)

Cheers. I remembered recently that I actually have a suction feed Badger 200 Airbrush at my parent's house from probably 20 years ago. I doubt I treated it right so it might need some TLC. On the downside, I used acrylics with it. On the plus side, I suspect they were cheap artist's acrylics so (from my experience) they should be more susceptible to most methods of cleaning than the decent stuff. Desktop compressors are much cheaper than I thought so I intend to switch once I get through my current stash of rattle cans. However, I guess I could decant and do the switch now. I've got some stuff stashed I could use as the guinea pig :)

You would be amazed at the success rate of tamiya "airbrush cleaner"

That stuff can even be brushed on and it starts to eat at paint.

And yes, get yourself a little air compressor. Personally, I like construction ones that have a tank. (rolair make cheap, good and quiet ones)

I'm going to try utilize the Bandai falcon stand to support wiring for the lighting power source which will be hidden beneath the base plate, anyone else try this with success?
Here is how far i am along with my efforts
1st base1.jpg 1stbase2.jpg 1stbase3.jpg 1stbase4.jpg
Having a 9v battery inside the model doesn't appeal to me, too much handling of the model itself and fitting resistors'n'whatnot. two AA's is what i intend to use powering about 6-7 led's

Last edited:
I have this kit on the way and have been absolutely loving reading through these threads. While I myself am not a huge accuracy nut, (for models anyway!) I do really appreciate seeing all the hard work put into these kits. Very inspiring stuff.

My plan was to just have some fun with it, and hopefully get some time lapse footage of my weathering techniques when it arrives. The added lights are starting to become more and more appealing however, so maybe I'll try and give that a go as well.

This thread has made me want to research more into weathering. I realise that i know very little considering all the great work done here. Im going to put all this to good use on my MPC whenever its time to paint.

Thanks for all the progreass pics guys. Its always nice to check in daily to this thread and be inspired :)

Quick question for any falcon experts with an Eagle eye lol! Have any of you fans of this bird noticed the Falcon in TFA has red headlights in some shots? i'm also looking to get a general opinion on whether to light the headlights in the Bandai model red or regular white?, ill be using fibreoptic strands would appreciate all opinions and suggestions.

According to the headlights seen in Episode 5 i guess they are supposed to "switch" between the function as red positionlights to bright headlights...

The Ikea Ribba picture frame makes a good sturdy base for the Falcon and leaves lots of room for battery packs
, i finished mine up today in a Jakku style sand effect, i used PVA glue and sand colour tile grout, i sifted trough a very fine grade one
1st falconbase1.jpg 1stfalconbase2.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back