Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon GROUP build awakens! OPEN TO EVERYONE! :)

I'm currently considering display options for mine. I quite like this with the ramp open and the landing gear so going down that route and I think I'll get an acrylic box for it.

I'm wondering about recreating the Falcon's first appearance in TFA on the surface of Jakku. If I recall correctly, there was some tarp attached to part of it. Can anyone recall how much it covered? In my memory, it was just a relatively small piece hanging from the starboard mandible, which could be nice on a diorama. There don't seem to be any stills of that scene doing the rounds yet.

I'm currently considering display options for mine. I quite like this with the ramp open and the landing gear so going down that route and I think I'll get an acrylic box for it.

I'm wondering about recreating the Falcon's first appearance in TFA on the surface of Jakku. If I recall correctly, there was some tarp attached to part of it. Can anyone recall how much it covered? In my memory, it was just a relatively small piece hanging from the starboard mandible, which could be nice on a diorama. There don't seem to be any stills of that scene doing the rounds yet.

I was thinking on doing the same thing but would like the tarp removable without damaging the model

Screen Shot 2015-12-30 at 22.19.51.pngScreen Shot 2015-12-30 at 22.20.04.pngScreen Shot 2015-12-30 at 22.20.55.pngScreen Shot 2015-12-30 at 22.21.10.pngScreen Shot 2015-12-30 at 22.21.34.pngScreen Shot 2015-12-30 at 22.23.12.pngScreen Shot 2015-12-30 at 22.22.23.pngScreen Shot 2015-12-30 at 22.22.41.pngScreen Shot 2015-12-30 at 22.23.02.png

J

I was thinking on doing the same thing but would like the tarp removable without damaging the model

J

Perfect! Thanks Jaitea. There's quite a lot of tarp there. I bet it would be hard to get the right sense of scale. I think kleenex/PVA would be the best looking route (I say, having never actually tried that before!), but that definitely wouldn't be easy to remove.

Hi guys,

Just Watch this guy weather his Bandai Falcon without painting...Amazing

https://youtu.be/UWh3EmpncBc

That's not really impressive at all and in fact highlights one of my pet peeves of model weathering, and especially the Millennium Falcon. No vehicle in the real world has an all over even black wash weather. Unless the vehicle literally drove through an oil waterfall, it's not going to weather that way. Panel line washes shouldn't really be done, as no real craft would weather in this manner. If one is going to do it, then at least vary the colors with browns, rusts, sandy colors, black, gray, etc.

I guess youre right. It may work in Gundam models but as you said if you like realistic effects no need to panel line wash all over.

I will just copy the way he did his maintenance pits. :)

Going the pre-shading route, most of it will vainish, will more than likely do a bit of a wash between panels also.
Hull damage added( very light handed) with a soldering iron.
1huldamage1.jpg 1hulldamage2.jpg 1hulldamage3.jpg 1hulldamage4.jpg

I've got as far as final clean up and gluing of bits I won't need to take apart again. This kit goes together so well without clean-up, but going through and spending half a day prepping all the mating surfaces and hunting out the rare mold lines really sharpens this up and improves the fit. I was surprised how much 20 minutes work on each of the mandibles improved things.

The only part that I think needs major clean up and fitting work is the landing gear. I'm going to take the opportunity to add the hydraulic piping when I do this. The only thing that bugs me a little is the landing gear hatch covers. They seem oversized on the front leg.

Finally managed to start painting! The detail in the cockpit was a lot of fun. The white strip to the right of the door isn't as good as on the left, but it looks OK straight on, which is the only way you'll see it assembled.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back