Dresden Files....Bob the Skull... UPDATE....

BlindVoyeur

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
i have a friend who is a Dresden nut so I started making him a "Bob". Just figured it was a neat prop from the show. Here is a wip picture after some painting up. Still a long way to go....

bob-start.jpg

Last edited:
Hi there! I'm a new member to this forum and a fan of the Dresden Files. I too have done some Dresden Prop replicas, including Bobs skull...

Finished-Skull-Frontpng.png

Finished-Skull-Rightpng.png

Finished-Skull-Right-Sidepng.png

Finished-Skull-Left-Sidepng.png

Finished-Skull-Backpng.png

Finished-Skull-Toppng.png

Also, here are my replicas of Bob's Manacles...

Finished-Manacles-1.png

Finished-Manacles-2.png

And my latest Dresden re-creation project was a dollhouse miniature recrreation of part of Harry's Lab from the show...

FINAL-LAB-Overall-Left.png

FINAL-LAB-Overall-FullFront.png

FINAL-LAB-Table-Detail.png

FINAL-LAB-TableBookcase.png

FINAL-LAB-BackTableShelf.png

FINAL-LAB-Skylight-Area.png

Overall-w-Bob.png

Bob-Views-Equation.png

The lab is not at all as described in the books, but what you did is very interesting. I never saw the show but I have all the books.
I really like the bracelet and Bob. Are they also from the show or are they your interpretation? Do or will his eyes light up in his typical lecherous manner?
Well done.

All my props are based on the television series ONLY. While I enjoy the books, the show was my favorite. I was especially fond of the show version od Bob as the ghost of a cursed sorcerer and actor Terrence Mann did a superlative job of bringing the character to life... so to speak! Much more entertaining/interesting than a simple talking skull.

Prop replicas based on the show are more challenging as I strive for as much authenticity as I can glean from scrutinizing the DVDs and gathering screen captures to replicate the actual prop pieces. Replicating a prop from a written description is too easy as it leaves too much detail to the imagination of the artist and you can get away with just a very basic prop as long as it generally satisfies whatever description is given.

very very cool I am a huge fan of the books myself

I have a skull that I got Jim to sign for me last year then I rigid it put with amber LED in the eye sockets and a motion detector in the nasal cavity lol
he sits on my self with my Jim Butcher book and a few of his wife's paperback novels to keep him company lol!

I like the shield braclet from the show better than the one from the book
I have thoughts of making one myself with different style coins/shields to mix it up

yours looks great!

Cool! A light-up skull! I'm not very electrically-inclined so mine just is a static prop. I always thought that SciFi really blew it by not only not reneweing the show but by also not doing any merchandising. They couls have sold a gazillion Bob-skulls if they had made 'em. I would have loved to see them market a Bob Skull talking magic 8-Ball type novelty... Instead of just the typical 8-Ball turn-over-and-see-the-reply-in-the-window gizmo, they could have had a skull that spoke sarcastic replies in Terrence Mann's voice! THAT would have been a cool merchandizing prop!

That's some really gorgeous work. My girlfriend and I tried the show out a few months ago and really enjoyed it. I wish they had given it a better shot, though, and it's a real shame they killed it so quickly.
If you ever do a run of the bracelets or skull, let me know!

The sigil on the Doom Box is the actual one used on the show prop and was pictured on the show prop-maker's website, which is where I found it. Some research of some alchemical symbology texts turned up that it is a sigil meaning, "Prayer offered up by the world to God", which makes sense as the cross in circle symbol is often used to represent Earth and the upreaching bits sort of resemble a supplicant's arms beseaching a higher Power in prayer.

Being that the Doom Box was a sort of sorcerous Trojan Horse... an artifact of power promising to be beneficial to those who would open/use it, but in reality a deadly trap, putting a sigil like that on the outside is an apt disguise. A beseeching plea for the answer to one's prayer (power) that in the end brings about destruction.

Dragonmiss, your work is incredible, I loved the show and your work is impressive.

The Doll House is a scream, keep up the great work.

Dex

That dollhouse is amazing!

I'm sad that the show didn't last, but I'm not sure how they would have carried the later books over to TV.

Speaking of, it feels like we are due for a new book soon...

Stormtrooperguy: Jim Butcher just published/released his latest book "Changes" about a week or so ago actually.... and the next book in the series is supposedly going to be entitled "A Ghost Story" or something like that...

KodiakC: I love the idea of yours to add a voice to your Bob skull! Believe me, if I had the technological know-how, I'd definitely try doing the same for mine, using recorded snips of phrases from the TV show as voiced by Terrence Mann!

My mini-lab was a fun project and my first attempt at miniatures... I did extensive reseach and screen-clips for reference from the DVDs... which I watched repeatedly and scrutinized every time the lab was shown. I tried to be as accurate as possible, even down to filling/labelling the 156 mini bottles full of ingredients to match those I could see on the shelves in the show. I also made two open mini-books that were featured in show episodes... The one on the table is open to the actual show-used page regarding information on the beings known as The Ravens and the one on the green lectern is opened to the page from the show describing the Hand of Glory.

Of course, being quite fond of Bob, I had to put a little cut-out of him in there... contemplating his Doom Box equation which he drew in flaming sigils to hang suspended in the air. Mine are painted on a bit of acetate sheet and hung from the top of the box...

Dragonmiss, that's some amazing work!

Could I impose upon you or anyone else to tell me where I could find shields like the one you used? The only ones I've been able to find have loops on the top for use in necklaces.

Dragonmiss,

Again, your stuff rocks and I would like to know the source for those shields as well. I love the books and loved the all to short TV series.

Here is a basic Dresden costume I put together for a party.

Cheers

Sebastian

I've seen the copper and brass composite shields on several Wiccan/New Age supply sites but they usually go for anywhere from $12 to $19 apiece! They are the talisman Charm against Mental Troubles and Bad Habits actually. I decided to make my own by using some 1 inch copper slug discs I found on Ebay and stenciling on the rim and arrow/crosspiece design by covering the disc with masking tape and cutting out the design. I used gold spray paint... three or four coats of it, then peeled off the masking tape and hand painted in the letters/symbols. then coated each disc with a clear acrylic sealant used in glass painting. Here's a shot of the progression of crafting steps...

Shield-Fabrication.png

And some of the finished shields...

Seven-Shields.png

Last edited:
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back