Newt Scamander in Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them

Some people here might be interested in my new boots...

1929qHL.jpg

The production ones will be a much better leather color/texture, I've already selected the look of it and it's a great matte brown color. But I'm pretty happy with the design as it is now, and I'll soon start selling them in my interest thread.

Trust me, I stared at the costume for a good half an hour, the shirt is light blue linen. There are some white threads in it, as linen is rarely a uniform color. The waistcoat has a similar weave to canvas, but it's closer to basket weave.

I don't know how she could have achieved the two very distinct different colors if she dyed it. The fibers look exactly the same, and I'm pretty sure it's wool. It's possible they could take the dye differently if they started as different colors, but neither of the colors is particularly dark and they're both pretty vibrant, not muddy. They don't look dyed at all.

Just received my order I placed with @TheGingerDoctor from Georg Auzinger for the shirt linen and I can definitely confirm it is a very slight pale blue with white stitching detail. If anyone wants some upclose shots in different types of lighting, I would be happy to provide some!

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone seen the scarf in person? I have not seen any photos of it turn up from the various exhibits, but I am hoping I missed one. The swatch in Case of Beasts looks much more orange than any other photo of the scarf (not just screen shots and promo photos, but photos of the scarf alone in the same book). Based on the color names I believe the swatch uses Jamieson's of Shetland. The color names match the way it is pictured, so I am suspecting they may have changed colors from Scotch Broom and Mustard (held together) on the tag to something like Daffodil and Gold. The swatch looks like it has two different marls, Black/Sholmit on the bottom and Black/Shaela on the top. I think they went with Black/Sholmit for the final scarf. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Edit: I saw gold in person and I think it may be too green. It also did not look great with Daffodil. I may still swatch it, but I found the oranger yellow shows up in "Inside the Magic" as well, so the color may just be a consistent color correction of the Scotch Broom and Mustard.

Last edited:
Just wanted to share the progress I made on my costume, so far the shirt and blazer both have the SA fabric, thanks to TheGingerDoctor for doing the order for our shirt fabric! I still have to sew on the buttons;

IMG_6595.JPG

Thanks everyone for the inspiration. I too have finished my coat.
_DSC17674.JPG_DSC17724.JPG
I too ended up choosing a boiled wool instead of going for the authentic weave. I ended up going with
Outer Layer: https://www.fabric.com/buy/0372706/the-season-wool-collection-wool-melton-stormy-sea
Lining: https://www.fabric.com/buy/0441800/kaufman-kobe-twill-olive
The leather cuffs and pockets were some left over sheep leather from my in progress case. I based the pattern on Simplicity 2895 with my biggest lesson learned was making the front panel out of one piece instead of the 3 the pattern calls for. Overall I am happy with the results as this is my first coat/jacket I have ever made and this costume is a forerunner for my attempt at a Master and Commander Captains Jacket later in the year. The custom pockets were all my own attempt at replicating what is seen in the movie (with varying results). If interested check out my Time Lapse video.

<font color="#333333"><span style="font-family: &amp;quot"><a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIXD7gzu0hE" target="_blank">

_DSC17674.JPG

_DSC17684.JPG

_DSC17744.JPG

_DSC17724.JPG

I looked at the yarn again today in different lighting and the gold did not look as green. They still look pretty different when held separately, but look good when held together. They still do not look right for the lighter version of the scarf (left) and you can see how different Daffodil and Gold look compared to the swatch (right).
scarf3.jpg
7/12: I found mini-skeins of Jamison, so I now have several yellow samples on order including scotchbroom and mustard. I will post updated swatch pictures once the yarn arrives and I can knit them.

Last edited:
I've been planning to model the fob based on some high res images I've got of it, I just haven't found the time yet. When it's done I'll put it up on shapeways in metal.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back