Newt Scamander in Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them

Has anyone had any luck finding a better substitute for the bowtie then the licensed replica? I would like make one so that I can wear the tie untied (As seen throughout the latter part of the movie) rather then have it tied the whole time. I have had no luck finding fabric with the correct pattern (not particularly surprising) but instead I have been searching existing ties that I could pull apart. The biggest issue is finding the pattern where the stripes are made up of micro dots. Since the colours change so much in the movie I would be happy with Midnight blue, purple, plum or even burgundy but that pattern is extremely difficult. The micro dots are difficult to find in a square pattern especially where it is not on the diagonal.

I have found this option from Ted Baker and wanted to see if anyone has found anything better.
Tie.png
Here is a reference from Newt
Newt tie.jpg

Thanks for the assistance.

Has anyone had any luck finding a better substitute for the bowtie then the licensed replica? I would like make one so that I can wear the tie untied (As seen throughout the latter part of the movie) rather then have it tied the whole time. I have had no luck finding fabric with the correct pattern (not particularly surprising) but instead I have been searching existing ties that I could pull apart. The biggest issue is finding the pattern where the stripes are made up of micro dots. Since the colours change so much in the movie I would be happy with Midnight blue, purple, plum or even burgundy but that pattern is extremely difficult. The micro dots are difficult to find in a square pattern especially where it is not on the diagonal.

I have found this option from Ted Baker and wanted to see if anyone has found anything better..

The bow tie has been the one genuinely elusive part of this costume. I cannot find anything like it anywhere. Apparently the two biggest manufacturers and distributors of grosgrain ribbon have gone out of business within the last few years so it's very likely that this bow tie is completely unavailable. I'm also having a very hard time locating something even close. Our only real hope is that Magnoli does a good job reweaving it. I've supplied him with my personal high res photos so hopefully he can get it worked out.

The bow tie has been the one genuinely elusive part of this costume. I cannot find anything like it anywhere. Apparently the two biggest manufacturers and distributors of grosgrain ribbon have gone out of business within the last few years so it's very likely that this bow tie is completely unavailable. I'm also having a very hard time locating something even close. Our only real hope is that Magnoli does a good job reweaving it. I've supplied him with my personal high res photos so hopefully he can get it worked out.

Thanks for the info. I thought I was going crazy. At least I don't have to feel too bad if I can't get it 100%.

I haven't given up on the scarf. I decided to look at yellows from Jamieson and Smith as well, so I have a swatch sample of their yellows and a small swatch combining what was left of Scotchbroom with two J&S colors referred to as Mustard and Mustard Heather. Hopefully something jumps out tomorrow in decent lighting.

Thanks to all for the info, I've loved looking through this thread! - Just commissioned some bespoke Newt Boots based on all the photo's, especially the ones from Jitterbug Boy Footwear. I did get a couple of quotes, but the best I found (quality for price) was from a guy named Alex in California. May be another month before they're done, but I'll post the photos to this thread. It was expensive, but I figure I'll wear these babies to work under my suit pants.

Put me down for a bow tie too Magnoli =)

Has anyone found a version of this pendant online? I've been searching everywhere and haven't found an exact or even similar replica.

Nothing even close, unfortunately.

I've been following the FB2 photos and it would seem that Newt's outfit is nearly identical in cut (some minor tweaks here and there but mostly identical) but 100% new in fabrics, including new shoes.

His jacket has a slightly revised lapel/collar shape, his shirt has a smaller collar, and all of his clothing fits him properly now - otherwise the patterns are identical, just cut from all new fabrics.

What are the closest fabrics for the coat available right now? I'm thinking about remaking mine. I've found a couple plain wools in similar colors but nothing with a similar pattern or texture.

Long shot but does anyone have any leftover of the screen accurate waistcoat fabric? Hoping to start on my newt cosplay and would love SA items

Last edited:
I'm also wondering, what's the general consensus on how the side pockets on his coat work? Are they smaller (flapped) patch pockets mounted on larger (non-flapped, leather accented) patch pockets, or are the larger pockets made of two layers of wool, with the flaps covering smaller welted pockets? Or are the flaps purely aesthetic and non-functional? I'm leaning toward going the welted route since it seems like double patch pockets could get really bulky.

Hey Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had better reference photos of Newt's wand holster? Or know what they had done for it? From what I can tell, it looks like it is part of the pants.

(Sorry for the bad quality, Currently overseas and grabbed a screen cap from a stream)
Screenshot 2018-10-29 23.08.03.png

Question, for those of you that have the Hot Topic coat, does the chest pocket actually have a pocket or is it sewn shut? Mine is sewn shut but I discovered when I was removing the embrodery on the pocket, I found that there IS a pouch for the pocket inside the coat itself but for some reason it's sewn shut.

Question, for those of you that have the Hot Topic coat, does the chest pocket actually have a pocket or is it sewn shut? Mine is sewn shut but I discovered when I was removing the embrodery on the pocket, I found that there IS a pouch for the pocket inside the coat itself but for some reason it's sewn shut.

That's not uncommon at all. The pocket needs to be attached before the panel is sewn into the coat. But the panel also needs to hold its shape while the rest of the sewing is happening, so it gets stitched loosely shut. The same thing happens on suit coat outside pockets and back pockets on slacks all the time.

But I'm not talking loose, the pocket is sealed sewn shut. The only reason I even found out it had a pouch was because I opened the lining of the coat. The pocket looks like it could have been a working pocket complete with a finished pocket pouch, but they had sewn it completely shut.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back