Newt Scamander in Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them

Trust me, I stared at the costume for a good half an hour, the shirt is light blue linen.

I still disagree with you on the shirt color. I don't see any blue to it. Here is an extremely close image.
eddie-redmayne-fantastic-beasts-and-where-to-find-themshirtcloseup.jpg

You know we do custom boots, right? ;)
Well I really meant find a manufacturer so I can do a run of them. I looked through the boots on your website and while they look like they are superb, I'm quite sure any you make will be FAR outside my budget.

You can disagree if you like, but I saw the costume with my own eyes, without the color adjustments they make on film and publicity photos. It's blue.
Well here's my two cents, that I'll offer to all the points here.

Here's a picture taken at the arclight in Hollywood and a link to a bunch more taken of all the costumes there. Same place Risu saw it, so maybe we can reach a common ground.
to-find-them-costumes-at-arclight-chicago-20161027.jpg

On the issue of the shirt, it really does look off white, I can see the blue hue in the pictures at a distance on the link but as soon as I look at the up close ones I just see white. Not as stark of a white as the shirt in the Graves costume but still white.

That said the pictures prove Risu right about the pants and jacket being different fabrics, so maybe trusting him on the shirt is a good idea. Doesn't matter, if you find a shirt with the pattern, you're already lucky.

When it comes to the waistcoat it reminds me of silk matka, because of the slubs and the weave, but it really could be any raw fabric or blend like Risu said. Although in the film and in these pictures with the changes it goes through with lighting it also reminds me a lot of velvet. I don't know what to make of it, I think this waistcoat is genuinely the weirdest piece of the costume when it comes to fabric, behind maybe only the coat.

And as for the coat, you can see particularly in this picture there are two different colours in the fabric. Since I was the one who first stated it was dyed here's my source where the costume designer says it was dyed herself. When I said cotton fabric, I have to admit it was conjecture on my part, although it makes sense because plays tend to use upholstery fabrics all the time and costume designers then continue to use them in film despite their weight and such being slightly impractical.

So if it was dyed then the two colours seem really odd but here's my thinking on that. This sort of diamond weave isn't uncommon, and it is usually made up of two colours. If this fabric started as a white or off white base with cream or tan threads making up the diamonds then the two colours make sense. The base fabric dyed petrol and the diamond threads which were more yellow to begin with became more green coloured.

Aside from that you're probably looking at a custom job to get anything close to the boots and fob because they just seem unique in general. And don't get me started on that bow tie that changes from purple to burgundy to navy throughout the bloody movie, let alone pictures.

Hope i'm some help, I'll personally be waiting to see if this costume carries over to other films before I throw a bunch of money at reproducing it accurately.

So here's the best image I can find to sort of illustrate the blue color of the shirt.

24962607-natural-light-blue-flax-fibre-linen-texture-detailed-closeup-rustic-crumpled-vintage-te.jpg

In direct light, it washes out almost completely, but in the ridges between threads, the shadows show up as blue. The raised jacquard weave is done in white thread, which pushes it further toward looking white from a distance.

In bright daylight, the suit jacket and pants look much different, but they look much more similar in lower light.

The bow tie came across to me as brown. I never questioned that color because it also looked brown in the movie.

So the coat is two colors, and like you said it's possible one of the colors was originally warmer/yellower and that stayed in and turned those fibers green. It's much more likely because the blue is a much more crisp color. Seems to me it could have been a white/tan they tried to dye blue and lucked into these colors. The other possibility is that the weaver used a different type of fiber for the warp threads because they needed them to stretch differently. The blue threads are the warp and the green are the weft. I picked up some yarn today and I'm going to have a go at weaving a swatch of this for fun.

The waistcoat looked a LOT like a cotton/linen basket weave fabric I've got. That has some slubs, but they're points, not line. The slubs do make this look a bit like silk, but it doesn't look as slubby up close. Some of the early pictures from far away almost make it look like dupioni, which it definitely isn't.

When I saw the costume, the yellow display lights above it were on, which skewed the color away from blue, but it still looked blue. I'm actually surprised it doesn't come off as incredibly blue in natural light.

Still looks off white to me, in every photo. Here are some more from the exhibit. Haha ,just noticed you linked to this too! The blue tint of the shirt probably comes from the blue ceiling reflecting light down on to it.

http://hollywoodmoviecostumesandprops.blogspot.com/2016/11/fantastic-beasts-and-where-to-find-them.html

No problem.

So I wanted to try my hand at weaving, not sure why. I doubt I'll be doing this on any kind of usable scale, even for myself. It's incredibly time consuming. A friend and I also updated the pattern after I had already started this, so I just finished up one repeat. Doing this on cardboard instead of a loom also didn't allow me any control over the dimensions.

2016-11-28%2002.04.57_zpswhbtjp5d.jpg

Geez dude! That's some talent! i totally see that kind of pattern on his coat too. It's going to be hard to find unless it's just custom woven as the costume designer said it was made from some old fabric she had had laying around from a play if I remember right.

Last edited:
If anyone can find a clear picture of this part of the shoe, let me know:

dGafJkS.jpg

This is the best I've found:

bWC2zWU.jpg

I can't tell what's going on there.

View attachment 684360
View attachment 684356
View attachment 684363
View attachment 684362
View attachment 684355
View attachment 684354
View attachment 684358

Here are some photos I took of my coat. Sorry about the wrinkles and the delay in posting. Been a busy week with work and dressing as Newt.

After having seen the movie I'm pretty sure the top pocket with the tentacle coming out of it shouldn't be there, but it is sort of a fun edition. The buttons as well are definitely a sales embellishment, but a very pretty one.. The fake leather isn't the worst.

I've had to pin the cuffs up last minute since I didn't get this in time to get any sort of real work done on it. It's also too long in the back because of this. The curse of being short I'm afraid.

Overall I have to say it's very well made considering it's a Hot Topic purchase. It has it's problems, but it does the job very well and I had loads of fun dressed up on Thursday night for the release. I will definitely be working on getting the rest of the costume more accurate for the next time I wear this. Playing as Newt is...fantastic!

The breast pocket is definitely there, though the welt is shaped differently. The tentacle isn't a part of the screen used coat, so I spent the last few days with a seam ripper and tweezers carefully removing all of the embroidery. I'm going to have the back belt tightened up as well. I don't know why they made it so saggy.

Here are some photos I took of my coat. Sorry about the wrinkles and the delay in posting. Been a busy week with work and dressing as Newt.

After having seen the movie I'm pretty sure the top pocket with the tentacle coming out of it shouldn't be there, but it is sort of a fun edition. The buttons as well are definitely a sales embellishment, but a very pretty one.. The fake leather isn't the worst.

I've had to pin the cuffs up last minute since I didn't get this in time to get any sort of real work done on it. It's also too long in the back because of this. The curse of being short I'm afraid.

Overall I have to say it's very well made considering it's a Hot Topic purchase. It has it's problems, but it does the job very well and I had loads of fun dressed up on Thursday night for the release. I will definitely be working on getting the rest of the costume more accurate for the next time I wear this. Playing as Newt is...fantastic!

Have you tried removing the embroidery? I'm interested in seeing the after photos. :)

Here's a before and after of my coat, after VERY CAREFULLY using a stitch ripper and tweezers to remove the embroidery. This actually took me a few days and wasn't easy, as the coat fabric is very easy to snag.

View attachment 687899
Nice! That actually came out great! Oh, I was wondering, how is the sizing on the coat and what size did you get? I'd like to get one sometime if they ever have them back in stock online, but I'm rather tall, 6'3" and just want to make sure it'll fit, especially the sleeves as I have rather long arms .

I'm 6'2" and wear a size 40 jacket, and the small fit surprisingly well. If you add some shoulder pads and remove the embroidery, it's passable. Even better if you can somehow replace the vinyl patches. It does unfortunately has a really straight cut that makes it look pretty bad, but maybe if you buy a second coat you can cut some flares to add into the skirt. You could also take in the back a bit and taper it back out to the original seam at the bottom.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back