Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    Nov 28, 2016, 5:38 AM - Re: Newt Scamander in Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them #51

Interesting! The swatch does help with seeing how it could be blue but look off white in some lighting. Thanks!
    From
    Orange, CA
    Nov 28, 2016, 5:42 AM - Re: Newt Scamander in Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them #52

No problem.

So I wanted to try my hand at weaving, not sure why. I doubt I'll be doing this on any kind of usable scale, even for myself. It's incredibly time consuming. A friend and I also updated the pattern after I had already started this, so I just finished up one repeat. Doing this on cardboard instead of a loom also didn't allow me any control over the dimensions.

Nov 28, 2016, 9:46 AM - Re: Newt Scamander in Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them #53

Geez dude! That's some talent! i totally see that kind of pattern on his coat too. It's going to be hard to find unless it's just custom woven as the costume designer said it was made from some old fabric she had had laying around from a play if I remember right.
    Last edited by Egon Spengler; Nov 29, 2016 at 5:25 AM.
    Nov 30, 2016, 1:36 PM - Re: Newt Scamander in Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them #54

If anyone can find a clear picture of this part of the shoe, let me know:

This is the best I've found:

I can't tell what's going on there.
    From
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Dec 2, 2016, 1:58 AM - Re: Newt Scamander in Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them #55

OhMyStarLord said: View Post
    Attachment 684360
    Attachment 684356
    Attachment 684363
    Attachment 684362
    Attachment 684355
    Attachment 684354
    Attachment 684358

Here are some photos I took of my coat. Sorry about the wrinkles and the delay in posting. Been a busy week with work and dressing as Newt.

After having seen the movie I'm pretty sure the top pocket with the tentacle coming out of it shouldn't be there, but it is sort of a fun edition. The buttons as well are definitely a sales embellishment, but a very pretty one.. The fake leather isn't the worst.

I've had to pin the cuffs up last minute since I didn't get this in time to get any sort of real work done on it. It's also too long in the back because of this. The curse of being short I'm afraid.

Overall I have to say it's very well made considering it's a Hot Topic purchase. It has it's problems, but it does the job very well and I had loads of fun dressed up on Thursday night for the release. I will definitely be working on getting the rest of the costume more accurate for the next time I wear this. Playing as Newt is...fantastic!
    The breast pocket is definitely there, though the welt is shaped differently. The tentacle isn't a part of the screen used coat, so I spent the last few days with a seam ripper and tweezers carefully removing all of the embroidery. I'm going to have the back belt tightened up as well. I don't know why they made it so saggy.
    From
    Cyprus
    Dec 2, 2016, 2:27 AM - Re: Newt Scamander in Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them #56

Hope to see boots ready soon, really wonder what will it be
    Dec 3, 2016, 10:33 AM - Re: Newt Scamander in Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them #57

OhMyStarLord said: View Post

Here are some photos I took of my coat. Sorry about the wrinkles and the delay in posting. Been a busy week with work and dressing as Newt.

After having seen the movie I'm pretty sure the top pocket with the tentacle coming out of it shouldn't be there, but it is sort of a fun edition. The buttons as well are definitely a sales embellishment, but a very pretty one.. The fake leather isn't the worst.

I've had to pin the cuffs up last minute since I didn't get this in time to get any sort of real work done on it. It's also too long in the back because of this. The curse of being short I'm afraid.

Overall I have to say it's very well made considering it's a Hot Topic purchase. It has it's problems, but it does the job very well and I had loads of fun dressed up on Thursday night for the release. I will definitely be working on getting the rest of the costume more accurate for the next time I wear this. Playing as Newt is...fantastic!

Have you tried removing the embroidery? I'm interested in seeing the after photos.
    From
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Dec 3, 2016, 4:22 PM - Re: Newt Scamander in Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them #58

Egon Spengler said: View Post
    Have you tried removing the embroidery? I'm interested in seeing the after photos.
    Here's a before and after of my coat, after VERY CAREFULLY using a stitch ripper and tweezers to remove the embroidery. This actually took me a few days and wasn't easy, as the coat fabric is very easy to snag.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161201_134254.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	687899
    Dec 4, 2016, 4:31 AM - Re: Newt Scamander in Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them #59

Zeppo said: View Post
    Here's a before and after of my coat, after VERY CAREFULLY using a stitch ripper and tweezers to remove the embroidery. This actually took me a few days and wasn't easy, as the coat fabric is very easy to snag.

Nice! That actually came out great! Oh, I was wondering, how is the sizing on the coat and what size did you get? I'd like to get one sometime if they ever have them back in stock online, but I'm rather tall, 6'3" and just want to make sure it'll fit, especially the sleeves as I have rather long arms .
    From
    Orange, CA
    Dec 4, 2016, 4:38 AM - Re: Newt Scamander in Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them #60

I'm 6'2" and wear a size 40 jacket, and the small fit surprisingly well. If you add some shoulder pads and remove the embroidery, it's passable. Even better if you can somehow replace the vinyl patches. It does unfortunately has a really straight cut that makes it look pretty bad, but maybe if you buy a second coat you can cut some flares to add into the skirt. You could also take in the back a bit and taper it back out to the original seam at the bottom.
    Dec 4, 2016, 5:06 AM - Re: Newt Scamander in Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them #61

I was thinking of buying an XL coat or even a 2X to make sure I would have long enough sleeves and also enough fabric to be able to take in the coat and all. You're 6'2" and a small fit well? Nice! I wish they'd get the things back in stock. Someone is selling some on ebay for waaaay beyond what they go for. No way am I paying that much. Do you have any photos of you wearing it? It seems impossible to find photos of people wearing the things online except for the promo pics.
    From
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Dec 4, 2016, 6:25 AM - Re: Newt Scamander in Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them #62

I'm 6'1" and wear a 42 jacket. I got the large so that it would fit over a suit jacket if I decided to do the full costume, but it fits me well without the suit jacket as well. I also have monkey arms, and the arm length on the coat is pretty much perfect.

This is without a suit jacket underneath:

Name:	20161204_024454.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	688100Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20161116-WA0015.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	135.7 KB 
ID:	688103Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20161116-WA0016.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	688104
    Dec 4, 2016, 6:31 AM - Re: Newt Scamander in Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them #63

Wow! That actually looks really good!! A Hot Topic near me had one XL left the other day. I should have driven the nearly 2 hours and got it. ARGH. I hope they still have it. If they do I'll call them today and have them hold it. Just removing the embroidery makes a huge improvement!
    Last edited by Egon Spengler; Dec 4, 2016 at 6:37 AM.
    Dec 4, 2016, 11:47 AM - Re: Newt Scamander in Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them #64

Just a couple reference photos of the inside of the movie coat, a bit edited for lighting:

You can't tell in these pics too well, but the inside is a nice olive green color, it's very visible when he sits down on the bench next to Kowalski in the bank after following the niffler inside.
    Dec 4, 2016, 1:11 PM - Re: Newt Scamander in Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them #65

Zlurpo said: View Post
    Just a couple reference photos of the inside of the movie coat, a bit edited for lighting:

http://i.imgur.com/6nLw0vM.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/fFfsAAM.jpg

You can't tell in these pics too well, but the inside is a nice olive green color, it's very visible when he sits down on the bench next to Kowalski in the bank after following the niffler inside.
    I don't know why but those links from imgur never show for me, unless I quote your post. But those are good shots. Looks like he has a bunch of pockets inside the coat too!

Just called thr local place about a Hot Topic coat. They have one left and are holding it for me! Wooo! Tomorrow I go to pick it up. Lining will be replaced and used for the lining inside his suitcase I plan to make. I'm commissioning a friend of mine to do some mods on the coat, like replace it with proper color lining and take it in here and there for me. I'm getting an XL so hopefully it has a bit more fabric to it to allow for a mod or two to get the back to skirt out some.
    Last edited by Egon Spengler; Dec 4, 2016 at 1:24 PM.
    Dec 4, 2016, 3:56 PM - Re: Newt Scamander in Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them #66

I don't know why but those links from imgur never show for me, unless I quote your post.
    Interesting, I can start uploading them directly to theRPF, but they often don't size well when I do that.
  17. Member Since
    Apr 2014
    From
    Philadelphia area
    Dec 4, 2016, 10:28 PM - Re: Newt Scamander in Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them #67

I don't know why but those links from imgur never show for me, unless I quote your post. But those are good shots. Looks like he has a bunch of pockets inside the coat too!

Just called thr local place about a Hot Topic coat. They have one left and are holding it for me! Wooo! Tomorrow I go to pick it up. Lining will be replaced and used for the lining inside his suitcase I plan to make. I'm commissioning a friend of mine to do some mods on the coat, like replace it with proper color lining and take it in here and there for me. I'm getting an XL so hopefully it has a bit more fabric to it to allow for a mod or two to get the back to skirt out some.
    Sorry I haven't been on in forever (holidays are ridiculous). You got really lucky with the coat! I've been talking to hot topics in PA and NJ and they seem to only be showing up at certain stores. Glad you're going to get it!

Zeppo said: View Post

That actually came out fantastic! I may need to have a go at my coat now.
    From
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Dec 4, 2016, 11:29 PM - Re: Newt Scamander in Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them #68

Be prepared for there to be gold thread EVERYWHERE
  19. Member Since
    Apr 2014
    From
    Philadelphia area
    Dec 5, 2016, 12:08 PM - Re: Newt Scamander in Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them #69

Name:	newt boots.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	253.8 KB 
ID:	688261

I finally have gotten my boots! Just ordered these on ebay for $60!
  20. RPF Premium Member
    Dec 5, 2016, 1:20 PM - Re: Newt Scamander in Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them #70

I came across this fabric from a woman who hand-weaves. The photo on the left is of a cloak she made. I think if you were to have her replace the gray thread with green, it would be very close to Newt's coat.

Name:	Handwoven fabric.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	109.0 KB 
ID:	688274 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Newt Coat.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	203.0 KB 
ID:	688275
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/2774148...?ref=related-2
    Last edited by lmellies; Dec 6, 2016 at 12:56 AM.
    From
    Orange, CA
    Dec 5, 2016, 6:04 PM - Re: Newt Scamander in Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them #71

Pretty similar, yea. His is actually a broken diamond as far as we can tell, though.
    Dec 5, 2016, 7:02 PM - Re: Newt Scamander in Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them #72

Got my coat today. XL size. Unfortunately for clothing purposes, I have really long arms. Going to track down a second coat and use the material from it to make longer sleeves.

Name:	Untitled-1 copy.png 
Views:	232 
Size:	2.14 MB 
ID:	688396

Like I said before, I'm 6'3- 6'4" and have really long arms.
    From
    London, Albion
    Dec 6, 2016, 7:39 AM - Re: Newt Scamander in Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them #73

Not overly familiar with hot topic as I'm from the UK - but had a look on eBay for one of the Newt jackets and they seem to be listed at almost $300!
    The website seems to be out of stock as well, were these particularly limited?
    Dec 6, 2016, 10:30 AM - Re: Newt Scamander in Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them #74

theflightyellz said: View Post
    Not overly familiar with hot topic as I'm from the UK - but had a look on eBay for one of the Newt jackets and they seem to be listed at almost $300!
    The website seems to be out of stock as well, were these particularly limited?
    I'm guessing that, since they had them manufactured before the movie was released, they made a rather limited supply since they didn't know how popular it would be. I bet they'll re-stock since they mostly sold out of all of them in a couple weeks.
    From
    London, Albion
    Dec 6, 2016, 10:38 AM - Re: Newt Scamander in Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them #75

Zlurpo said: View Post
    I'm guessing that, since they had them manufactured before the movie was released, they made a rather limited supply since they didn't know how popular it would be. I bet they'll re-stock since they mostly sold out of all of them in a couple weeks.
    Makes sense. I'm out in the states from the 28th till the 7th, may have to see if I can find a Hot Topic around the New Jersey area and try my luck.