My First Prop! Cheshire's mask from Young Justice.

Vashishio

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've been amazed at all the incredible work that gets posted here on the RPF and finally decided to get my feet wet. My wife wanted to dress as the character Cheshire and liked the design from Young Justice, so I set on the path to create the mask first. This was a project with a lot of firsts for me, sculpting from reference, molding, casting, bondo-ing, finishing, painting.....everything really. Its completely from scratch and really my interpretation of the 3d form from the 2d show. Let me know what you think, or if anyone is interested in the process I used, though totally amateur, I'd be glad to update with more pics and blabber on about the hours and hours I toiled away making this. Thanks for your attention~!

-Vashishio

View attachment DSC_0277.JPG
View attachment DSC_0280.JPG
View attachment DSC_0278.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0277.JPG
    8.1 MB · Views: 117
  • DSC_0280.JPG
    8.2 MB · Views: 98
  • DSC_0278.JPG
    8.1 MB · Views: 97
Thanks guys!

ArkyGrimm, I did a cheesy quick costume to be ready for Halloween, but I've got a lot of work to do on it, yet.

As far as how I made the mask, I sculpted it in plastalina clay on a mannequin head based on two screencaps(one facing and one profile) of the mask from the animation, molded the finished but relatively rough sculpt with Rebound 25, cast it out of Smooth Cast 300, then set about adding bondo and sanding, adding more bondo and doing more sanding, and so on until I had achieved a form that was pleasing. Then i primed and painted it basically.

There were a lot of extra rounds of bondo, spot putty, complete overhauls of the form and filling and filing to get it to the end product, and I took a lot of pics of the process, but I'm at work at the moment and don't have access to them. If you'd like, I can post a basic rundown with pics of the progression of the sculpt and casting /finishing of the mask.

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've been amazed at all the incredible work that gets posted here on the RPF and finally decided to get my feet wet. My wife wanted to dress as the character Cheshire and liked the design from Young Justice, so I set on the path to create the mask first. This was a project with a lot of firsts for me, sculpting from reference, molding, casting, bondo-ing, finishing, painting.....everything really. Its completely from scratch and really my interpretation of the 3d form from the 2d show. Let me know what you think, or if anyone is interested in the process I used, though totally amateur, I'd be glad to update with more pics and blabber on about the hours and hours I toiled away making this. Thanks for your attention~!

-Vashishio

View attachment 549603
View attachment 549604
View attachment 549605
I'm very interested in how you made this mask. Please help

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back