Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
I think maybe their subscriber numbers didn't turn out so well. Now they have to adjust it to appeal to traditional fans.

I might give it another try if they ever put it on Netflix. Until then, anxiously awaiting the new season of The Orville.

I wish they'd stay entirely away from anything in TOS. They've done a crappy enough job with canon as it is, so I really don't want to see their take on the Enterprise and its characters.
Unless it starts with a title card that says "this is not prime universe" then nothing they do will appease this fan. :p

Anson Mount of Hell on Wheels fame will be playing Pike.

nzlLqB.png

I don't know who he is, but he looks the part, so I have no issue with that.

However, I'm disappointed that this confirms they'll be continuing with this trainwreck of a storyline. I dare to think of the endless ways they'll ruin the Enterprise, Spock, and anything else from TOS. It did a bad enough job with continuity even when the show had nothing to do with TOS storylines.

I'm rather surprised that Spock won't be making an appearance with Pike since we know that Spock was on board the Enterprise at this time based Menagerie but STD doesn't seem to have any problems re-writing canon so I guess I really shouldn't be surprised.

What really gets me is that there are people whose job it is to determine and evaluate what constitutes "25% different" in matters like this. I can get that when trying to separate brand iconography, but that Star Trek is trying to distinguish itself from Star Trek...? I feel like a kid going through a bad divorce.

I don't get it at all. If CBS is TV, and Paramount is movies, what is the problem? Why would CBS Trek need to be legally different from CBS Trek?

That isn't new information to me, but it's still dumb. If you can't legally keep designs the same, don't even set it in that era knowing you can't do it properly. This wouldn't have been an issue if they'd just set it post-Voyager/Nemesis like many people wanted anyway. They could have used 100% new designs, and "refitted" any older ships they wanted to make an appearance.

So if they had to make the designs 25% different, does that make the show only 75% canon? :p

Just kidding, of course. This isn't canon. :D

If you can't show the Enterprise - then don't.

That isn't new information to me, but it's still dumb. If you can't legally keep designs the same, don't even set it in that era knowing you can't do it properly. This wouldn't have been an issue if they'd just set it post-Voyager/Nemesis like many people wanted anyway. They could have used 100% new designs, and "refitted" any older ships they wanted to make an appearance.

So if they had to make the designs 25% different, does that make the show only 75% canon? :p

Indeed. Even worse with Terminator Genisux: redesign everything just to save money!

So if they had to make the designs 25% different, does that make the show only 75% canon? [emoji14]

Yep. Its dumb, I can't argue that.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

It's not Star Trek at all.....:unsure

Just as the old "x% different" rule of thumb in our own hobby is BS, this must be too. How could you possibly prove or disprove what specific percentage of artistic difference exists between two things? You can't, and lawyers know this, so that kind of wording would never be baked into a contract.

This story has to be a smokescreen for whatever reason.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back