Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
It feels really weird to me when they stick in references to TOS like that (and last week mentioning Captain's names), because there's such a huge disconnect to me between Discovery and the first 40 years of Trek. Heck, we saw a holodeck this week like it was just whatever.

I'm convinced more than ever this is the fore-head treatment. Like Klingons post TMP, we were just supposed to assume they always looked that way. We're supposed to consider this the prime universe, but it always looked this way. We're totally going to see the Enterprise at some point given a Discovery makeover.

Lorca turns down the bridge lights for his eyes? Seriously? Why would you sacrifice crew performance for your own comfort? That's basically the opposite of what a captain should do.

Wasn't CBS just suing someone over how they were using Star Trek? And now they seem to have taken from this guys game.

(i think there is something wrong with the tag system. It keeps converting some letters to italic and then the tag fails or tags the wrong person. had to edit to a quote)

So they have holodecks in the 23rd century now. And humans can mind meld across space. Just FYI.

I would love this show if it wasn't trek. Exact same story, just swapping out the Trek lore for new stuff-- it would be great. It's just not Trek.

So they have holodecks in the 23rd century now. And humans can mind meld across space. Just FYI.

I would love this show if it wasn't trek. Exact same story, just swapping out the Trek lore for new stuff-- it would be great. It's just not Trek.

Simplest way to understand it is as a reboot. They say it's Prime Trek or whatever, but for all practical purposes, it's a full reboot. It gets a lot less troublesome trying to figure out how it all fits together if you look at it that way.

I cannot believe I am paying to watch this crap week after week. It’s not Gene Roddenberry’s Star Trek in any way whatsoever. I have rewatched episodes of TOS and TNG too many times to count. I cannot see myself ever rewatching any of these episodes beyond this once a week viewing. Shame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simplest way to understand it is as a reboot. They say it's Prime Trek or whatever, but for all practical purposes, it's a full reboot. It gets a lot less troublesome trying to figure out how it all fits together if you look at it that way.

Totally, that's what I keep doing.

You know-- it was Bryan Fuller that said it was Primeverse when he first started. He left early in the process, and to my knowledge no one else ever confirmed that. They didn't deny it, but they didn't confirm it either. I think they won't say either way because they think that can somehow please everyone.

Last edited:
If I think about it, I bought the entire TOS on VHS Columbia House; Laserdics; 2 Episodes DVD; 1st Season HDTV; Three Seasons Blu Ray at least two times; and now Streaming. I’m sure I will pay for 4K too when released and every other new improved format in the next 50 years. I will never pay or watch any Discovery episode again. This is where Paramount/CBS screwed up. Not making a rewatchable show. Probably why they are charging us now.

If I think about it, I bought the entire TOS on VHS Columbia House; Laserdics; 2 Episodes DVD; 1st Season HDTV; Three Seasons Blu Ray at least two times; and now Streaming. I’m sure I will pay for 4K too when released and every other new improved format in the next 50 years. I will never pay or watch any Discovery episode again. This is where Paramount/CBS screwed up. Not making a rewatchable show. Probably why they are charging us now.

Word.

I was the biggest nu-galactica junkie there was. But as soon as it finished, I never need to see it again.

Unlike say, Stargate. Which has to be the most rewatchable sci-fi ever

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I always say that watching Star Trek is like having a party with your nerdiest friends, where they entertain you but you don't have to reciprocate. The best shows are like that, they can entertain you forever, not matter how well you know each episode.

But these angst-filled shows just can't do that. (Firefly had a lot of angst, but it was also very funny and warm, so it got a pass.) And while I've rewatched BSG a couple times, because it's so good and I wanted to show it to others, but I'm never drawn to just put it on in the background. Discovery is the same way. It's a good show so far, but there's no warmth or light that makes you want to come back. I said early on that they want to get at the Game of Thrones crowd (just like the Expanse- another good show that no one needs to see more than once) and that's exactly what they've gone for. It's just cold, occasionally suspenseful drama, where the most compassionate characters are just constantly under some form of mental, physical or spiritual torture.

You want to know what happens next, but you really wouldn't want to spend time with any of the characters or live in the world. When the Orville gets cancelled (about seven episodes from now if FOX holds true to killing good shows) I'll gladly pop the entire series in a playlist and leave it running in the background any time.

There are very few characters in any of the past Treks that I wouldn't not rather have a coffee with over anyone in Discovery, and that's pretty telling.

Word.

I was the biggest nu-galactica junkie there was. But as soon as it finished, I never need to see it again.

Unlike say, Stargate. Which has to be the most rewatchable sci-fi ever

I always say that watching Star Trek is like having a party with your nerdiest friends, where they entertain you but you don't have to reciprocate. The best shows are like that, they can entertain you forever, not matter how well you know each episode.

But these angst-filled shows just can't do that. (Firefly had a lot of angst, but it was also very funny and warm, so it got a pass.) And while I've rewatched BSG a couple times, because it's so good and I wanted to show it to others, but I'm never drawn to just put it on in the background. Discovery is the same way. It's a good show so far, but there's no warmth or light that makes you want to come back. I said early on that they want to get at the Game of Thrones crowd (just like the Expanse- another good show that no one needs to see more than once) and that's exactly what they've gone for. It's just cold, occasionally suspenseful drama, where the most compassionate characters are just constantly under some form of mental, physical or spiritual torture.

You want to know what happens next, but you really wouldn't want to spend time with any of the characters or live in the world. When the Orville gets cancelled (about seven episodes from now if FOX holds true to killing good shows) I'll gladly pop the entire series in a playlist and leave it running in the background any time.

There are very few characters in any of the past Treks that I wouldn't not rather have a coffee with over anyone in Discovery, and that's pretty telling.
I definitely want to hang out with the Orville gang!

Tonally this episode was all over the place, with casual murder played for laughs. Mudd the murderer does not grow to become a lovable rogue, he's more like Charles Manson at the moment.

Sent from my BLU LIFE MARK using Tapatalk

What the ................. was that?
On the positive side at least I found out what happens to the creature from "Stranger Things" when it matures in a universe outside of the upsidedown. Maybe thats where Mud got his time crystal.
And now I also want thirty minutes of my life returned so I can go back in time and warn myself not to watch this series ever again. Ah ,how Groundhog .
I must say casual murder has never seemed so much fun in Star Trek, though I would also suggest the writers get brain scans because there is something deeply, deeply wrong with them if they think this will win them any fans.
The entire show, from its premise to the characters has become pitiful on a whole new level of pitiability. If there were a warp factor measurement for just how wrong they have got it it would be off the scale. Its become a video game, some cocaine fueled nightmare version of Trek from its gaudy visuals to the schizophrenic behaviour of its characters. They are doing a Mirrorverse version of this?!!!!! Will it be the one where the characters and storylines actually behave like people in the Star Trek universe?
I cannot believe how utterly without merit this show has become.

This show is utterly horrendous. Why couldn’t Mudd have killed Michael since he killed four other “blue” shirts so easily. Again a rehash of a TNG episode. Geeze, try something original...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back