Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
My thoughts on that:

{SPOILER} Is that their nod to TOS Klingons? They seem to be ignoring the augment virus. [/SPOILER]
The spores are going to be responsible for Klingons looking more human, because of a freak accident the whole Klingon race becomes half human. The upside, they do not need to see their logopedics anymore. The downside, Klingon logopedics lose their jobs by millions and because of that the Klingon welfare systems crashes and takes their economy with them.

Well after four episodes, I am now comfortable to share my thoughts.
First, I am 49 years old and watched the original series in re-runs in the late 70s. It honestly was not my cup of tea, I was too young to enjoy many of the stories and the only episodes that really interested me were the ones with Klingons or Romulans battling the federation. I was more interested in Space 1999, Lost in Space, and Ultraman back then.

Later I went to see each movies when they came out and loved most of them. The only movie I was not really into was Star Trek V: The Final Frontier. I really like the original cast and if there had never been The Next Generation, I would probably consider anything other than the original series as a poor imitation. However, there was The Next Generation and I loved that series. Yes there were some slow and boring episodes about some alien species living on some planet wearing multicolored hippy robes and expousing liberal ideologies; but, there were also the Borg and tons of other more interesting plots. I loved the new cast and I equally liked all the movies with this cast.
I watched the first season of Deep Space Nine and decided that I hated the series. It was so negative and the story of a space station was not Star Trek (trek being the operative word). Then we got Voyager and I liked this series and the cast.

I liked Enterprise but I had a real hard time accepting it as a prequel when all the technology (ex. Touch screens) was way more advanced than what I saw in the original series. Still, I liked the cast and the stories so I liked the series.

Next we got JJs Trek re-imagined, I liked the look and the stories and the cast so I am ok with two versions of the original cast. To not be ok with this is like saying that re-imagined BSG was bad and the campy original BSG was gospel. I can like them both and in BSGs case, I think the re-imagined series is so much better than the original.
Now discovery is out and I refuse to pay anything beyond my insane cable bill to watch it. So I have watched each episode “by other means” the day after it airs.

I get what a lot of people are saying about the series and I have many issues with it as well. First, it’s another prequel that looks more technologically advanced than the original. Second there are many things that don’t make sense like the “head of security” acting like an idiot and getting killed in the process. Or the research Lieutenant who mouths off to the Capitan on several occasions and is not pounded into insignificant dust for disrespect (that’s the 24 years of my military service talking). I completely agree that the whole saucer section spinning crap is just an “it looks cool” gimmick. Also, the decision to call the series Discovery when it is actually about the war between the federation and the Klingons makes no sense.

All that said, I like the series. I like the characters and I like the story so far. Yes there are issues with it and I could say the same for all the series. Each series has problems with continuity and the whole, last minute solution thing really does nothing for me. But I do find Discovery entertaining. I am not a Star Trek guru. I do not know the cannon of the Klingon war enough to be upset about some of the complaints that other people have. I guess in a way, it’s like watching a movie based on a book without ever reading the book. If I like the movie, then it has served its purpose. If I go back after the fact and read the book, I may learn to hate the movie but until then, I can blissfully enjoy it.
So for Discovery, I enjoy it for what it is to me. I expect this series to fail not because it’s a bad series, but how it’s being distributed and many of the decisions being made by CBS. That’s just how I see it.

The spores are going to be responsible for Klingons looking more human, because of a freak accident the whole Klingon race becomes half human. The upside, they do not need to see their logopedics anymore. The downside, Klingon logopedics lose their jobs by millions and because of that the Klingon welfare systems crashes and takes their economy with them.

:lol
You're probably right...

If the rumors are true, Meyer is already working on a "double secret" Star Trek series directly for CBS--allegedly actually set in the Original Series timeline, and showing what Khan Noonien Singh was doing on Ceti Alpha V all those years. So he may yet show Discovery's behind-the-scenes crew how it's supposed to be done.

I'll only see it if it's a Gilligan's Island style sitcom. Every week they try and get off the planet.

a star trek series? dunno, not bad to watch but not sure if the name star trek improves it. could be called anything else and still be not bad

a star trek series? dunno, not bad to watch but not sure if the name star trek improves it. could be called anything else and still be not bad

I've said from the first episode that I liked this show for science fiction but hated it as Star Trek and nothing I have seen since then has changed that opinion.

So now they have said ***** in Star Trek........twice
They crossed that line in Star Trek: Generations when Data said, "Oh ****" as the saucer section of the Enterprise D was crash landing on Veridian III. Unfortunately, I think we're going to hear and see more "off color" language and nudity as streaming becomes more popular simply because such productions won't be restrained by the FCC's broadcast rules. I don't have a problem with language and/or nudity, but Star Trek has done just fine without it for 51 years now (except for the aforementioned quip) and I agree with what CessnaDriver posted above--it should remain acceptable viewing for all ages.

They crossed that line in Star Trek: Generations when Data said, "Oh ****" as the saucer section of the Enterprise D was crash landing on Veridian III. Unfortunately, I think we're going to hear and see more "off color" language and nudity as streaming becomes more popular simply because such productions won't be restrained by the FCC's broadcast rules. I don't have a problem with language and/or nudity, but Star Trek has done just fine without it for 51 years now (except for the aforementioned quip) and I agree with what CessnaDriver posted above--it should remain acceptable viewing for all ages.
I always hoped Shatner would be the first person to drop the f bomb in star trek.

Sent from my BLU LIFE MARK using Tapatalk

The F word felt so forced and out of place, just trying to appeal to the GOT/TWD crowd by being edgy. It was unnecessary. I have no problem with language with those shows, but it sticks out like a sore thumb in Trek.
A lot of fan service in the episode that felt out of place too, and only furthered how jarring it is to consider this Star Trek, like name dropping the captains, and Harry Mudd. I actually didn't mind the character at all, but it wasn't Mudd, and didn't need to be.

On the plus side, they've ditched the tardigrade half of their nonsense drive system, and having an actual human taking the risk adds an element to it. Having that human in a relationship with the ship's doctor also adds to it. Also, there were some decent character moments, like the scene between Saru and Michael at the end. Saru is easily my favourite character.

This still isn't Star Trek to me, but this episode was actually a bit of an improvement.

I literally hate every character on this show.
They are almost caricatures of real people. The perfect exactly is the stupid obnoxious cadet/ensign roommate. Everything she does is so on the nose exaggerated to be annoying.
Same with the engineer guy with the shark eyes. It’s like the script says “you have 10 seconds to portray someone angsty”
Everyone is talking about the tall alien commander as being the favorite” he is probably the most annoying of all

(Notice how I don’t even know the names of these characters? Another point in how pointless they are)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another non Star Trek episode. Next week they will probably have an orgy so they can be even more GOT like.

I agree that the F-bomb seemed totally forced and out of place. Don't forget they were told they were allowed to swear all they want but god forbid if you say god.

Not just to appease network restrictions, but not using bleeped language also helped imply a leveled up humanity that Trek is supposed to portray.
F word could easily be extinct, children aren't raised to use it like our modern pop culture teaches.
Cussing like we do today shows no progress.

I liked the ****. It was odd and unexpected, but it was perfect for Star Trek.
It wasn't used in anger or at someone. It wasn't an insult or a put down. It's cause someone was excited to do science. Can't really think of anything more Trek than that.

I also really dug Mudd.

Not just to appease network restrictions, but not using bleeped language also helped imply a leveled up humanity that Trek is supposed to portray.
F word could easily be extinct, children aren't raised to use it like our modern pop culture teaches.
Cussing like we do today shows no progress.

Yes it fracking does!

- - - Updated - - -

I liked the ****. It was odd and unexpected, but it was perfect for Star Trek..

No it fracking wasn't!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back