Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
https://www.trektoday.com/content/2017/09/kurtzman-why-we-gave-spock-a-new-adopted-sibling/
Oh, Kurtzman...you just went with the first idea you had and ran with it, just like everything you do. No talent *** clown.

Yes, because giving Spock a new relative out of nowhere worked so effectively in the past for fans..... :facepalm
Instead of patting yourself on the back for not playing it safe, they should have realized the reason it's not playing it safe is because it's a bad idea and should never have gotten past the brainstorming phase.

How dumb is Sonequa Martin Green? Reading some of her recent comments, she seems to think she is the first minority, or woman to be cast in the lead of any show. Like she is the first to break the glass ceiling.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe Spock never mentioned his "sister" Michael cause her series crashed and burned about 3 episodes in?

How dumb is Sonequa Martin Green? Reading some of her recent comments, she seems to think she is the first minority, or woman to be cast in the lead of any show. Like she is the first to break the glass ceiling.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe Spock never mentioned his "sister" Michael cause her series crashed and burned about 3 episodes in?

We can only hope

What about Nichols and Takei in the 60s? Lead character or not. They were on the bridge. You saw them all the time. That's not breaking through?

Or, that captain guy on DS9....Sisko. Captain of a whole station....Janeway, captain of a ship...

Past trek has pretty much done diversity to the point of, been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p6nl6m6FDQ
"Get A Behind-The-Scenes Look At Star Trek: Discovery's Artful Production"
Why did I read that as "Get A Behind-The-Scenes Look At Star Trek: Discovery's Awful Production"?
Edit, also I have to do a complicated work-around just to watch the trailers, because, apparently, The UK isn't allowed to see it.
Oh, and it doesn't matter how many times they show that line: "My people were biologically determined to sense the coming of death" is still a stupid line and a dumb concept. And is that alien wearing digitgrade footwear? Or is Lady Gaga designing uniforms now?:rolleyes
Edit edit: The more I look at the title font the more I hate it.. those 'R's look more like weird lower-case 'h's and I see STAh ThEK

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of y'all made a mountain out of a molehill in regards to Martin Green's comment.

Really, she is the first black female lead character in ST.

Has ST done diversity? Yes,

But not as well as some of you folks seem to think. ST has touched on these topics, but often in very tired tropes. Spock, Worf, and & B'elanna Torres are all archetypal "tragic mulatto" characters. Which is not to say that their story arcs aren't entertaining or worthwhile, but rather, that there's a different way to tell those stories.

Maybe because so many involved with STD have been going out of their way to say how special they are celebrating muh diversity. What made the original so special was no one was constantly beating you upside the head, saying...see look we are super special awesome..we have gay characters, and the first female black lead character, and were basing Klingons off of a certain political parties President and supporters, oh..and we dare you not too watch, cause Trek fans will watch anyway..and we don't really care if a political parties supporters don't watch.

Working out really well for Hollywood right now. Love those Emmy ratings.

I just wanted a show about exploring with great stories, interwoven with moral dilemmas. it's a shame that all the producers are doing is virtue signaling. If they really had something to be proud of, they would let the volume of the stories/episodes speak for themselves rather than constantly pushing one narrative.

It's very tiring, and rather than promote the so called inclusion they claim too...they only alienate and push long time fans away.

I just wanted a show about exploring with great stories, interwoven with moral dilemmas. it's a shame that all the producers are doing is virtue signaling. If they really had something to be proud of, they would let the volume of the stories/episodes speak for themselves rather than constantly pushing one narrative.

It's very tiring, and rather than promote the so called inclusion they claim too...they only alienate and push long time fans away.

I see what you're saying and agree it's annoying but that's just salesmanship 101. It's pretty obvious now that CBS is trying to sell this show primarily to a whole new and, yes, younger audience — people who probably think Star Trek is lame or outdated. So I don't begrudge them from using the diversity angle. People selling a new product take advantage of whatever the current cultural zeitgeist is and run with it. Does it suck that they are sorta ignoring us older fans for the sake of winning over a new crowd? Sure, but ST has always been topical and never shy about pushing a few cultural buttons.

And let's not forget, Roddenberry played a similar angle in the late 60's when he was trying keep NBC from killing ST after two seasons. He and his staff orchestrated a letter write-in campaign aimed at young people to force Desilu and NBC executives — an older generation who didn't really understand the show or who it was for — to give it a third season and it worked.

I still think the main thing to be upset about with #STD is why they felt the need to reinvent the wheel in terms of style and aesthetics while insisting it takes place 10 years before Kirk and company. That's just dumb.

Maybe because so many involved with STD have been going out of their way to say how special they are celebrating muh diversity. What made the original so special was no one was constantly beating you upside the head, saying...see look we are super special awesome..we have gay characters, and the first female black lead character, and were basing Klingons off of a certain political parties President and supporters, oh..and we dare you not too watch, cause Trek fans will watch anyway..and we don't really care if a political parties supporters don't watch.

Working out really well for Hollywood right now. Love those Emmy ratings.

I take your point on in-your-face-ness of it all. I mean, I'm gay and I get it already with John Cho/Sulu. They definitely should have just slipped that one in there instead of being all like "LOOK! SULU HAS A HUSBAND! GET IT? BECAUSE TAKEI!"

But you know, marketing.

But it's not really anything new. Numerous shows and movies have had black female leads. It's been done, it's been done to death. Being the first black female lead in ST is not the huge statement they make it out to be. If you keep splitting hairs you'll eventually go bald.

Really? You want to name me some movies & shows you're thinking of? I've got Girl's Trip and Insecure and they're both very recent. Certainly not anything that makes me think the stories of black women are all over the media landscape and have been produced in every iteration.

And of course, the flip side of this is white-male-protagonist stories were ground to death long before anybody else.

I see what you're saying and agree it's annoying but that's just salesmanship 101. It's pretty obvious now that CBS is trying to sell this show primarily to a whole new and, yes, younger audience — people who probably think Star Trek is lame or outdated. So I don't begrudge them from using the diversity angle. People selling a new product take advantage of whatever the current cultural zeitgeist is and run with it. Does it suck that they are sorta ignoring us older fans for the sake of winning over a new crowd? Sure, but ST has always been topical and never shy about pushing a few cultural buttons.

And let's not forget, Roddenberry played a similar angle in the late 60's when he was trying keep NBC from killing ST after two seasons. He and his staff orchestrated a letter write-in campaign aimed at young people to force Desilu and NBC executives — an older generation who didn't really understand the show or who it was for — to give it a third season and it worked.

I still think the main thing to be upset about with #STD is why they felt the need to reinvent the wheel in terms of style and aesthetics while insisting it takes place 10 years before Kirk and company. That's just dumb.

The problem there is you sell a show on an actual network to a new group of people. You DO NOT sell a show to a new group of people you plan on making pay per view. There's no built in audience. The entire point of putting this on their streaming service is to get an established base of fans (star trek fans) to pay for their cbs re-run service. Once the built in fans are good with it, they spread the word and more and more people sign up, etc.

There's no point in using 'trek' in this at all if you're not after the built in base that comes with it. Therefore, you ought to be making an effort to get those people on board. Yet, nearly everything they've put out so far is driving that built-in base away. And quickly at that.

To top it off, they're apparently spending big on it as well. You don't do that either if you're after only a new audience.

I can't really believe how much they're promoting their diversity either frankly. In the 60's it was shockingly diverse. They weren't bragging about it, they just did it. As did every other iteration of trek. Now, for some reason, it's a big deal? I don't care if the lead is a black woman, purple man, or green alien. I don't care if anyone is gay or straight. Generally, it has nothing to do with any of the plots so it's irrelevant. Focus on your stories and worry about that stuff way down the road - if ever.

Trek is supposed to be in a time where we've transcended all that crap. Going out of your way to point it out defeats one of the themes of the show.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back