Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
Till I get the "Riker Maneuver" I will never be happy!

200.gif

I was just trying to point out that Star Trek has a long history of new and exciting retcon or inconsistency. (Warp drive - both TNG and DS9 established that there was no warp drive in the 22nd century, FIrst Contact and Enterprise changed that).

When did they do that? TOS established Zefram Chochrane -- "inventor of the space warp" -- disappeared a hundred and fifty years before that episode, being c.2119. Presumably he invented the warp drive before that, because he was "old" when he disappeared and had wanted to die in space. "WNMHGB" had the Valiant attempting to probe beyond the edge of the galaxy two hundred years before. Whether up or down or radially out, any of those require FTL drive. Fandom and official ancillary materials had long maintained that Humans invented their warp drive sometime in the latter half of the 21st century. TNG gave us the U.S.S. Essex in "Power Play" that had disappeared sometime prior to 2168. There are more. Those are just off the top of my head.

In "A Matter of Time" had Riker say he felt the most important invention of the 22nd century was the warp coil, which is not the same thing. Many of us obsessive Trek nerds have noodled that to be a refinement of tech already in existence. Quite possibly the one that permitted the disparate Human colonial system fleets to unify as Starfleet in the 2130s.

--Jonah

Ok... finally managed to watch both episodes...

What I don't get:

So let me get this straight... Michael commits treason by disregarding the chain of command and attacking a superior officer in a misguided attempt to save her captain and her crew...

BUT... she convinces said captain that the only way to win the day is to capture the head Klingon dude because to just outright kill him would make him into a martyr.

So she's given a chance to redeem herself and said captain puts her trust and life on the line that this is the correct course of action and they beam over to try and capture the head Klingon....

The captain is killed and instead of honoring this sacrifice and the faith she put into Michael, she kills the dude instead of capturing him, starts the intergalactic war that she claims she was trying to stop, and betrays everything that she 'claims' she loved and was trying to protect.

WTF?!?!

Yes, it is that stupid. But the whole thing is dumb. Michael undergoes Vulcan training where she's supposed to subvert her emotions and respect duty, then she comes to the Federation, where frankly, outside of one scene, she's absurdly emotional, she throws duty out the window and attacks her captain and honestly, for working with Michael for 7 years, her captain treats her like crap anyhow, doesn't trust her, doesn't listen to her, I mean she's the first officer for crying out loud and the captain wants her to have her own command, only to arbitrarily tell her to shut the hell up, that her opinions and views are completely worthless.

And we're supposed to care about or respect any of these characters again why?

When did they do that? TOS established Zefram Chochrane -- "inventor of the space warp" -- disappeared a hundred and fifty years before that episode, being c.2119. Presumably he invented the warp drive before that, because he was "old" when he disappeared and had wanted to die in space. "WNMHGB" had the Valiant attempting to probe beyond the edge of the galaxy two hundred years before. Whether up or down or radially out, any of those require FTL drive. Fandom and official ancillary materials had long maintained that Humans invented their warp drive sometime in the latter half of the 21st century. TNG gave us the U.S.S. Essex in "Power Play" that had disappeared sometime prior to 2168. There are more. Those are just off the top of my head.

In "A Matter of Time" had Riker say he felt the most important invention of the 22nd century was the warp coil, which is not the same thing. Many of us obsessive Trek nerds have noodled that to be a refinement of tech already in existence. Quite possibly the one that permitted the disparate Human colonial system fleets to unify as Starfleet in the 2130s.

In A Matter of Time, discussion about what the 22nd century was like and Riker said that warp coils hadn't been invented yet. In the TNG episode Rasmussen, "I suppose the warp coil. Before there was warp drive, humans were confined to a single sector of the galaxy." - which indicates that warp coils are necessary for warp drive.

You mentioned TOS' Where No Man Has Gone Before which strongly implies that the Valiant is a pre-warp ship,,, hence this:
Spock: Decoding memory banks. I'll try to interpolate. The Valiant had encountered a magnetic space storm and was being swept in this direction.
Kirk: The old impulse engines weren't strong enough.

The implication is there. Is it concrete proof? No. But, the intent seems pretty solid.

In TOS Metamorphosis, Cochrane is a human from Alpha Centauri - later he's from Montana and had moved to Alpha Centauri. The original intention was that Cochrane was the originator of warp drive - not Earth warp drive, but for the galaxy - which makes Star Trek and the Enterprise's mission all that more sensible (at least to some).

The simple truth is Star Trek is a fictional property where things are changed and adapted as needed. Given enough time and thought, one can come up with an explanation for anything. Star Trek is full of contradictions and retcons, there is nothing wrong with that - the property is 50 years old.

This discussion isn't really about or at this point add to the discussion of STD, so I'll be bowing out of further comment.

Last edited:

It's a good effort to help explain the differences and while it does make sense from a certain stand point, it does take time to transition from old to new, it doesn't really explain why everything in STD looks so much more modern and high tech than in TOS. If they had bothered to direct the production designer to at least attempt a retro look then I could suspend my disbelief and buy the book's explanation but with the very modern look they went with it makes their explanation a bit hard to swallow.

In A Matter of Time, discussion about what the 22nd century was like and Riker said that warp coils hadn't been invented yet. In the TNG episode Rasmussen, "I suppose the warp coil. Before there was warp drive, humans were confined to a single sector of the galaxy." - which indicates that warp coils are necessary for warp drive.

You mentioned TOS' Where No Man Has Gone Before which strongly implies that the Valiant is a pre-warp ship,,, hence this:
Spock: Decoding memory banks. I'll try to interpolate. The Valiant had encountered a magnetic space storm and was being swept in this direction.
Kirk: The old impulse engines weren't strong enough.

The implication is there. Is it concrete proof? No. But, the intent seems pretty solid.

In TOS Metamorphosis, Cochrane is a human from Alpha Centauri - later he's from Montana and had moved to Alpha Centauri. The original intention was that Cochrane was the originator of warp drive - not Earth warp drive, but for the galaxy - which makes Star Trek and the Enterprise's mission all that more sensible (at least to some).

The simple truth is Star Trek is a fictional property where things are changed and adapted as needed. Given enough time and thought, one can come up with an explanation for anything. Star Trek is full of contradictions and retcons, there is nothing wrong with that - the property is 50 years old.

This discussion isn't really about or at this point add to the discussion of STD, so I'll be bowing out of further comment.

Didn't Vulcan's have FTL ship well before Cochran's first flight as per First Contact?

It's a good effort to help explain the differences and while it does make sense from a certain stand point, it does take time to transition from old to new, it doesn't really explain why everything in STD looks so much more modern and high tech than in TOS. If they had bothered to direct the production designer to at least attempt a retro look then I could suspend my disbelief and buy the book's explanation but with the very modern look they went with it makes their explanation a bit hard to swallow.

Exactly! I too think this is actually a good attempt to explain the differences, But the designers of STD failed because they moved forward when they should have moved backwards.

But in the end, I guess it just comes down to the fact that the crew of the Enterprise preferred "Velour Leisure Wear".

At this point our expectations of the future are much different than they were in the 60s. Just like we don't see touchscreens and the like. I kinda feel we have to look past the tech.
Didn't Vulcan's have FTL ship well before Cochran's first flight as per First Contact?
Yes, that was my point,

Just watched the first episode. I'm sorry, but Michelle Yeoh is just a horrible actress. I don't know if I can stick with the series because she's so bad it takes me completely out of the show every time she speaks. Whoever was in charge of casting should be fired for giving her a lead role.

Just watched the first episode. I'm sorry, but Michelle Yeoh is just a horrible actress. I don't know if I can stick with the series because she's so bad it takes me completely out of the show every time she speaks. Whoever was in charge of casting should be fired for giving her a lead role.

You may want to watch the second episode, it will alleviate your concerns. ;)

I don't know why they had to do another prequel concept.

Nothing has ever been set after Next Gen, then they could freely change up races (Klingons) and the improved special effects wouldn't be out of place. There's literally no reason this had to be "10 years before Kirk" at all.
In fact, it makes it even more jarring and out of place.

That's what I keep saying-- which makes me nervous that there IS something that made it have to be in this era, which will not be good news for continuity. Cause if having Sarek was it? Adoptive Vulcan dad could be any character they want. It being Sarek has bought us nothing special.

That's what I keep saying-- which makes me nervous that there IS something that made it have to be in this era, which will not be good news for continuity. Cause if having Sarek was it? Adoptive Vulcan dad could be any character they want. It being Sarek has bought us nothing special.

You made it make sense to me now. That's why they did it. Fanservice cameos. They apparently care more about that than just telling a good story.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back