Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
So the transporter on the NX-01 Class, in use more than 100 years before TOS, looked like a smaller version of the transporter on the Constitution Class, but this transporter that's allegedly only 10 years before TOS looks like the set for a low-budget game show? Failure...

Not only that, but Pike's Constitution class Enterprise is in service at the time of Discovery. And has been for about ten years prior.

I was having this conversation this weekend as a guest on the Treks in Sci-Fi podcast that despite my annoyance that there is continuity issues with this show at first blush, if it's good Star Trek none of that should matter. Star Trek is about ideas and characters not done slavish adherence to a specific catholic canon.

The continuity errors go beyond first blush. They are deeply ingrained into the show and its timeline. The whole "human raised on Vulcan" thing pretty much voids Spock's role as the link between the two races, reducing his characters importance.

They also claim TOS and TNG had the largest influences on STD, but it rings hollow in my ears. And sounds more like "Let's say something to appeal to TOS and TNG fans than respect for those shows. They also name drop TMP in there for good measure. But the largest obvious influence is JJ-trek, which they barely mention......:unsure

I was having this conversation this weekend as a guest on the Treks in Sci-Fi podcast that despite my annoyance that there is continuity issues with this show at first blush, if it's good Star Trek none of that should matter. Star Trek is about ideas and characters not done slavish adherence to a specific catholic canon.
This is true. As we've seen in many franchises, changes can be overlooked if it's good enough.

This one has some unique problems though. It's relying on old fans committing to a whole new service largely based on this show. So it's already an uphill battle. Add in deviations from what those old fans know and that hill gets steeper.

Right now it looks like the story has an awful lot of work to do to overcome the hills placed in front of it.

For me it's exasperated by the idea of a long running story that, even if I do end up liking it, it's possible I won't get to see how it ends if this weird gamble doesn't bring in enough viewers to support its existence in the long run... Which so far, also looks VERY doubtful.

The continuity errors go beyond first blush. They are deeply ingrained into the show and its timeline. The whole "human raised on Vulcan" thing pretty much voids Spock's role as the link between the two races, reducing his characters importance.

They also claim TOS and TNG had the largest influences on STD, but it rings hollow in my ears. And sounds more like "Let's say something to appeal to TOS and TNG fans than respect for those shows. They also name drop TMP in there for good measure. But the largest obvious influence is JJ-trek, which they barely mention......:unsure

Yeah, so clearly JJ inspired. Here some more insight form the show runners..

http://ew.com/tv/2017/06/26/star-trek-discovery-storyline/

Behind the scenes image of Frakes directing Discovery...

Attachments

• IMG_4831.JPG
    IMG_4831.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 69
Frakes directing actually makes me a little more interested. I actually like a lot of the stuff he's done...
One word: Thunderbirds. :D

Relax, it's just a joke. I know Thunderbirds wasn't his fault.

...He's also on board to direct an episode of the Orville as well, which makes me smile.
I'm actually more interested in seeing this, and not just because I won't be subscribing to CBS All Abcess and will probably never see whichever episode of Discovery he directs.

I'm just hoping to not have someone's virtue signaling BS thrown in my face. Some of what I am reading sure looks like that's what will happen.

As much as I like Jonathan Frakes and think he is a great director he is only as good as the material they give him and so far I'm kind of underwhelmed by what I've heard. I'm still hoping for something good but like others have said I'm not going to pay for another service, which has nothing else I want to watch, just to see it. I'll wait and buy them on blu-ray when they release them if it sounds like it is any good.

Johnathan Frakes is an acceptable director. A passable director.
He is most certainly not a great director.

As others have already said, though, I'm sorry I'll never see his Star Trek episode...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back