Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
The time travel aspect of all star trek series are a little tricky, but in my mind at least the changes only happen in the order of the shows we watch them in.

Mirror Mirror, the enterprise in the other universe looks the same, as in that time line the defiant has not yet travelled back in time.

Tholian web, the defiant goes back in time to an earlier version of the mirror universe altering it.

Trials and tribulations, the other defiant goes back in time, TOS still looks the same in the prime universe.

Voyager, I forget the episode title, but the ships follows a bad guy back through time, they discover technology is more advanced than it should be, but cant change it, as their own technology is based on it, this sets up both enterprise and discovery looking more advanced than they should for a pre TOS timeline and possibly the star trek reboot films.

I'm wondering if they are going to have a whole new cast for next season. They are killing people off left and right plus with what was learned in the last episode it seems kind of hard to come back from that.

I'm wondering if they are going to have a whole new cast for next season. They are killing people off left and right plus with what was learned in the last episode it seems kind of hard to come back from that.

Hopefully because this cast sucks.

For the first time in my life watching anything Star Trek this last episode left me with a depressed feeling. I tried...I really did.

http://comicbook.com/startrek/2017/12/24/star-trek-discovery-the-orville-jonathan-frakes/

"Stylistically, your responsibility as an episodic television director [is] when you do a show like The Orville, you want that show to look like Next Generation.” Frakes explained. "And when you go to Canada to do Star Trek: Discovery, they want that show to have the feeling, and look, and vibe of the J.J. [Abrams]-era Star Trek. Much more cinematic, a lot of crane work, and a lot of movement, a lot of dutch angles. On Next Generation, the traditional framing, and the things we became accustomed to as fans of the show, we see in [The Orville] because that’s the look.”

I like how Frakes has the guts to just outright admit they are borrowing from JJ-Trek. Unlike the whole production team leading up to the premiere.

I was actually shocked that they had Frakes direct an episode of Discovery as it seemed like they didn't want anything or anyone from the old shows. I also think that was one of the best episodes of the season even if that is not saying too much.

Last edited:
Much more murder, death ,kill!!!!
Damn it , at the rate the body count keeps climbing will anybody be left alive? This may not be "Star Trek" any more (really its a sort of "Death Trek" acrosss multiverses) but the general slaughter is very entertaining. Its great to see the cast dying in their droves (even if its their evil dopplegangers).
Its still willfully stupid at times but these last three epsiodes were great fun. Was I not entertained? Definitely. The climax was all very phaser kung fu (or is that kata?) but I laughed at the sheer audacity . Its like they gave a kid with ADH the opportunity to write and direct "Star Trek".
Wondering about the green pea though?

I, for one, have been enjoying Disco all along, and these last few episodes have really started to pay off everything they have been setting up. I really like the serial storytelling aspect of the show, as opposed to the classic standalone episodes and occasional two-parters Star Trek has always done.

All the "this is not Star Trek" and "this is not Starfleet" criticisms were totally valid, but we eventually learned why, and with episode 13 we got to finally see a glimpse of the more familiar Star Trek and Starfleet characterizations everybody seemed to hope for. I think it was all beautifully set up. Giving Saru his moment to take command and give his speech to pull together the crew and not accept any "no-win scenario" was absolutely true to what Star Trek is all about, and it was beautifully contrasted by everything we saw (and maybe got frustrated about) leading up to it.

I don't know where it is going next, but I am eagerly anticipating it these days. I'm glad I have been able to resist the urge to be an old sourpuss about it all, and my patience has paid off. I'm sorry that so many others can't get on board with it, but to each their own. I'm enjoying it...

I, for one, have been enjoying Disco all along, and these last few episodes have really started to pay off everything they have been setting up. I really like the serial storytelling aspect of the show, as opposed to the classic standalone episodes and occasional two-parters Star Trek has always done.

All the "this is not Star Trek" and "this is not Starfleet" criticisms were totally valid, but we eventually learned why, and with episode 13 we got to finally see a glimpse of the more familiar Star Trek and Starfleet characterizations everybody seemed to hope for. I think it was all beautifully set up. Giving Saru his moment to take command and give his speech to pull together the crew and not accept any "no-win scenario" was absolutely true to what Star Trek is all about, and it was beautifully contrasted by everything we saw (and maybe got frustrated about) leading up to it.

I don't know where it is going next, but I am eagerly anticipating it these days. I'm glad I have been able to resist the urge to be an old sourpuss about it all, and my patience has paid off. I'm sorry that so many others can't get on board with it, but to each their own. I'm enjoying it...

STD doesn't live up to Trek ideals, it twists them for it's own selfish use.

Refusing to accept the "no-win scenario" was a core component of Kirk's personality for most of his career. It led to him standing out from his peers when he reprogrammed the Kobayashi Maru. It's not just a cool inspirational line. it's integral to his character throughout the original series.

Now Sense-Death Guy is just as tenacious as Kirk, one of the most famous captains in Starfleet history.

This is just another lazy hack/fraud rip-off of something from Prime Trek.

And yet the last series that lived up to the ideals, Enterprise, was cancelled because of low ratings. This isn't old style Trek because that won't work with today's audience. Is it entertaining? Yes.Does the production design bear any relation to Trek? Nope. Is it Trek? Not really. Does anybody really care about the characters? Again, not really but I didn't care for Voyager's or Enterprise's either. It's just space nonsense with ships with saucers at the front. If you want a good space drama watch the Expanse. If you want Trek watch The Orville.

And yet the last series that lived up to the ideals, Enterprise, was cancelled because of low ratings. This isn't old style Trek because that won't work with today's audience. Is it entertaining? Yes.Does the production design bear any relation to Trek? Nope. Is it Trek? Not really. Does anybody really care about the characters? Again, not really but I didn't care for Voyager's or Enterprise's either. It's just space nonsense with ships with saucers at the front. If you want a good space drama watch the Expanse. If you want Trek watch The Orville.

Enterprise made similar mistakes as STD. Trying to make things hip and to what they thought were modern sensibilities....for the time of it's release.

Naked decontamination scenes. Druggy and mind-rapey Vulcans. And it eschewed the episodic nature of prior series. That is why it failed.

You say that today's audiences don't want "old style" Trek, but then you recommend The Orville? A show that has huge respect for traditional Trek and is doing well enough to get a second season. That's a fairly mixed message.

I think you just basically out-argued yourself.

Refusing to accept the "no-win scenario" was a core component of Kirk's personality for most of his career. It led to him standing out from his peers when he reprogrammed the Kobayashi Maru. It's not just a cool inspirational line. it's integral to his character throughout the original series.

Now Sense-Death Guy is just as tenacious as Kirk, one of the most famous captains in Starfleet history.

Wait, so you're complaining that DSC is not upholding Trek ideals by making one of its main characters an exemplar of the values and ideals from the original series' run?*

For £√¢€'s sake.

*(Never mind that the whole "no win scenario" thing was cooked up for Wrath if Khan, a movie that did it's own share of revisionism to the TOS characters and as such was lambasted by fans at the time with the exact same critiques that Discovery is getting now. It's like Paramount/CBS can't win. Hmm. That sounds familiar.)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back