Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
...(Notice how I don’t even know the names of these characters? Another point in how pointless they are)...
For me this has become a way to measure my interest level in a new show. I sat through the first two seasons of The Walking Dead struggling the entire time to figure out why everyone but me liked it. I wanted to like it, but by the end of the second season I realized I was so disinterested in the show that I hadn't even bothered to commit any of the characters' names to memory except for Rick, and I certainly couldn't tell you any of the actors' names except for Norman Reedus and Michael Rooker (and that was only because I'd seen them previously in other productions). So I stopped watching.

Ugh, the writing is still stupid. Not sure how much more of a chance I can give this show.
I didn't expect to like The Orville and it won me with the first episode. There hasn't been one so far I didn't like.

I haven't like a single ST-D yet.

I don't like any of the characters. Not one.

They are going way too far out of their way with makeup and hair to make the roommate character (I still haven't memorized names) look plain and unappealing.

...and oily. Doesn't anyone have a washcloth on this ship?

Don't even try to give us nerdgasms with continuity easter eggs. It's great to hear "D-7", but it's spitting in our face when it's referring to a ship that looks nothing like one. Either respect continuity whole heartedly or not at all.

Mudd is too devious. He was the "loveable scamp" type in TOS. He was never up to anything particularly dastardly. Steal a shuttle here, break a smuggling law there... but not selling out people to be murdered.

They continue to undermine what Star Trek is about. A general order enabling a captain to conscript people? Really?

Enough with the dark and edgy. Go ahead and make a dark and edgy show if you want to. That. Is. Not. Star Trek.

No. "Eve" said herself that they all came from places with no men, and wanted a way to find husbands. They were quite willing participants.

This show so far is real drek! Star Drek. There isn't very much I can say about it that is good. It makes The Orville seem wonderful, and I don't like that show very much either.
Is this ever going to get any better? I'm really beginning to doubt it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the show. It definitely isn't the same tone as Prime universe Trek (unless this takes place in the Mirror universe and we just haven't been shown that yet). At first I was really turned off by it, but after the two-part pilot I just decided to stop trying to make it something it's not and just accept it for what it is. It's been a lot more enjoyable since then.

Finally caught up with both shows. Orville continues to shine, my wife really likes it. Discovery continues to disappoint. Yes we had a nice moment at the end but to get there we were subjected to an execution, torture, brutal fights, and some disintegrations (which was a cool effect). What is abundantly clear is this show is VIOLENT. My son was sort of watching with us and I had a few moments of maybe he shouldn't be watching this. That's a first for me and Trek, actual concern if the show is appropriate for a young child to watch.

Finally caught up with both shows. Orville continues to shine, my wife really likes it. Discovery continues to disappoint. Yes we had a nice moment at the end but to get there we were subjected to an execution, torture, brutal fights, and some disintegrations (which was a cool effect). What is abundantly clear is this show is VIOLENT. My son was sort of watching with us and I had a few moments of maybe he shouldn't be watching this. That's a first for me and Trek, actual concern if the show is appropriate for a young child to watch.

Last edited by a moderator:
They should rename the show:

Star Trek MIRROR UNIVERSE: Discovery

That's the only thing that can account for the subordination / hostility.

Interestingly enough, the D-7 is the first time we've heard something name-checked from the old canon. Uniforms, gear, etc-- all of it could be explain ed away, but to call that thing a D7 and not have it look like a D7 tells me, okay maybe this IS the Prime-verse with just a visual/production design re-adjust. Kind of like how in the TOS movie era we were just supposed to assume that the Klingons had always had foreheads, before DS9 and ENT made a point of addressing it.

We saw every Enterprise Captain but Kirk on Saru's list, the Enterprise is out there, and if we see it, I'm guessing the entire look will match everything else and we're to assume it always was that way.

And I agree about the f-bomb. I have no issue with it in life, or in other shows or movies. It's a great word. It's the only word in the English language that can be a noun, a verb, or an adjective. But it felt out of place as **** in a Trek show, which should be appropriate for all ages. Not to say it has to be a family show, or that narratively it has to be for kids-- but it's possible to be adult and still acceptable for younger ages.

It's frustrating to watch cause every week I see glimmers of really cool concepts, ideas, and character work-- but it's just not gelling. If this was some original sci-fi show it would be great-- but if you're going to be Trek there's certain things you have to do, and they aren't doing it.

I'm enjoying the series despite its issues. I thought the first two episodes were phenomenal and it's teetered a bit since then. The spore drive thing baffles me, I don't know if there's any science behind it all; but, it seems just... well, stupid.

There isn't a single likeable character in the series. I guess that might be something about it that I like and making me more open to the character development or overall arc without favoring any one over another.

Burnham's Vulcan tinge brings a coldness to her that just ticks me off. The same about Lorca is kinda true - his focus on war just doesn't seem becoming of the captain of a science vehicle. Stamets might be the worst of the bunch - while Burnham and Lorca are cold, they are at least interesting.... this guy is just as a cold; but I don't care about his character or arc - I find him poorly written and/or acted. Likewise, while I didn't outright dislike Sylvia at first - I found her annoying as all heck; but, now I might actually like her character as she's the most relatable of the bunch.

The Klingons look and sound horrible. Their ship design is way too JJ-influenced and I just don't understand the interior of these ships at all (too much like Bana's ship in the relaunch movie)... big wide open spaces just don't work for me. Whomever approved ship design for the series really needs to look back TOS and work with those designs and modernize and improve on those without the later movie design aesthetic. I am interested to see what develops with Klingon storyline.

I like the show, but I see so much room for improvement that it's not funny. I like the more narrow focus - it's something that's kinda foreign to Star Trek. I like the idea that Discovery has a different mandate than we're accustomed to - it's also a time of war, which should bring new and interesting challenges.

I'm eager to see just how this show develops - I just hope it improves as it does develop. I don't think it needs to weighed down by 50 years of history and it's okay to retcon when it serves the story.

Paying for a show hoping it will get better. Seems to me like it will just encourage them to keep making it like it is, since people are willing to pay for it like it is now.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back