Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
d1d4cc6b89b8328a3a38cb129042241e.jpg

Now. Can we please get back to bashing Disco please?

Good gravy— can we just talk about the show?

I’m starting wonder if this whole season will end when the jump back to their home galaxy that the accidentally go sideways again and end up in, or somehow trigger, a return to the TOS proper.

I like that idea SethS. I actually hope it's true. There is always a chance this could get on track and become a really good Trek show. I am liking the Ash/Voq storyline...it is interesting and complex, especially his involvement with Michael and the Klingon female (don't know her name) pulling him emotionally in two directions.

I want to know more about the other characters, which they haven't touched much on in any depth...so that all has potential. I just wish they would stick to developing a solid base storyline and character deveopment to get people more invested in caring what happens to them. Jumping into the middle of chaos for the first half dozen episodes didn't do the show justice. I did like seeing an Andorian and a Telerite in this episode (S1Ep11) for some Trek continuity...so that is a plus.

Last edited by a moderator:
What did you think of their make up?

I really liked the designs Enterprise did-- to show classic TOS aliens with more modern make-up effects. It seemed like the goal here was to push them to be more alien. In theory I appreciate that. The Andorian was cool, but I thought the Tellarite was pushed a bit too far.

Shran was the only thing I liked about Enterprise, so I'm all for more Andorians.

I'm thinking that instead of jumping, they'll go through the rift where the Defiant went through and emerge into the true prime universe.

I'm thinking that instead of jumping, they'll go through the rift where the Defiant went through and emerge into the true prime universe.

I REALLY hope that something like that does happen.

I agree with you SethS, on the makeup jobs. I don't have a real problem with pushing the envelope on the makeup a bit, (it would be understandable that there would be some racial variation on every planet), but yeah, I think the Telerite is a bit silly, and we all know the Klingons are ridiculously exagerated to the point of being almost completely different. Heck, even Sarek's ears are significantly larger than any Vulcans' that have been shown before. Doing that pushes the envelope of believability in my opinion, and takes you out of the moment too much.

Last edited by a moderator:
I certainly don't need them to look as hokey as they did in TOS, I appreciate the desire to make them more alien-- but you can do that without completely giving them a visual reboot like the Klingons got.

I'm also wondering if Tyler's Klingon innards are going to set up the smooth-head human looking Klingons in TOS. (even though Enterprise already did this).

It strike anyone else as odd of how few exterior shots we see of spaceships in the back half of the season?

It strike anyone else as odd of how few exterior shots we see of spaceships in the back half of the season?

It's struck me as odd how few we've seen the entire series.

Seriously, how many real, actual beauty shots can you think of for the major ships? Seems like all the shots last one second and are framed in extreme close-up, the prime example of which was the unintelligible footage of the D-7:Klingon ship. Can you tell what you're looking at half the time?

I was watching a talk on Youtube - Trek Yards, I believe - and they had a good idea on how it should have gone.

Discovery is about 10 years before TOS, and the ship and uniform designs should have been consistent with that. The "Mirror-verse" has had access to TOS-level knowledge and technology for a hundred years, (per the mirror-miror episode of "Enterprise") so it should have been at TNG-levels when Discovery ends up there. It would have been fine for the Terran Empire to have holographic communications, holodecks, and all the other things that we've been seeing on the show so far.

They also pointed out that the Terran Empire obviously got the Shenzhou's schematics from the Defiant's computer. The Constitution class should be superior to the Walker class, but they still decided to make at least one.

It's struck me as odd how few we've seen the entire series.

Seriously, how many real, actual beauty shots can you think of for the major ships? Seems like all the shots last one second and are framed in extreme close-up, the prime example of which was the unintelligible footage of the D-7:Klingon ship. Can you tell what you're looking at half the time?

The first episode had several, but past that, very few. I was watching TNG recently and even when the action isn’t a space battle at the very least every act break or time jump is buffered with a flyby.

I know we see ship shots— but they’ve encountered three vessels in the mirror-verse, and we’ve only seen the Shenzhou. The ship that took out the Klingons when they arrived, and the Emperor’s ship were not seen. We were just told they were there, and got some comm holograms.

And you’re right, we’ve hardly been able to discern scale and detail of anything. I despise the Klingon ship design. Again, I get the desire to make it Alien, but you’re right, it’s unintelligible. I felt the same way about the 2009 Romulan ship, the one in Insurrection too... and the Yorktown in Beyond... when you start making things so huge I spin out on Clerks/Death Star 2 construction logic arguments.

Probably blew the FX budget on the first half making snazzy CGI to rope in audience with spectacle.

I think you’re 100% correct.

Good grief!!! Some of the payoffs since they crossed over into this Terran universe have been better than I anticipated. This one was worthy of appreciation . Given how I felt about the first half of this series (and there are certain elements that continue to really irritate me )since they have actively started to murder, death ,kill (and torture) a significant number of the cast, I am really enjoying it. The best episode yet.

So if the defiant went a hundred years into the past, if they go the other way will they end up in the TNG era?

Sent from my BLU LIFE MARK using Tapatalk

Or to the TOS era.

Interestingly, the Defiant ending up in the mirror universe via the Tholian web was a retcon from Enterprise.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back