Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
I don't think the communicator looks bad but I don't like that they are using a design that is 20 to 40 years in their future for the lid. You just know they are trying to make something the fans can say "Oh look, they really are trying to tie it into TOS".

Actually, I've always believed that the Communicators from TWOK come between the Cage and TOS chronologically. The Enterprise has them because they are a training ship and don't get the new stuff. Note that the Reliant has wrist communicators, and the communicators in TSFS are clearly a direct upgrade from the TOS models. So I'm happy with the inclusion of that detail on the lid.

Actually, I've always believed that the Communicators from TWOK come between the Cage and TOS chronologically. The Enterprise has them because they are a training ship and don't get the new stuff. Note that the Reliant has wrist communicators, and the communicators in TSFS are clearly a direct upgrade from the TOS models. So I'm happy with the inclusion of that detail on the lid.

Also, design elements go away and come back all the time in industrial design. Take, for example, the new Atari console that's in development. It's got details with direct lineage to the old 2600 from the late 70s (and there have been several in between that have looked completely different).

As has been stated already, this show seems to have a lot bigger problems than any prop oddities.

...I think wedging in a LCD screen is awkward and unnecessary...
"I know engineers, they LOVE to change things." - Commander Leonard "Bones" McCoy, M.D., Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Unfortunately, the same is true of almost anyone who takes the reins of a pre-existing property like Star Trek. "We have to put our mark on it so people will know it's new and different!" :rolleyes

That being said, part of the problem, particularly with the advent of digital movies and high-definition television, is that the prevalent mentality in Hollywood seems to be that everything seen on screen has to have some sort of pattern or detail or it will be too boring for the viewing audience; if it moves or flashes, so much the better. Even the "hero" communicators in the Original Series had rotating moire patterns to make it appear to the audience that they were actually doing something. I agree it's unnecessary, but the kids in charge of Star Trek these days grew up with battery-operated-flashy-noisy toys and they seem to think it's necessary.

I think the tech argument which happened with Enterprise as well, is that I don't think you could make the sets look like TOS because audiences now wouldn't go for it. Diehard Trek fans would, but that's it. A modern audience would go "This looks like crap!" So they need to do a balance, which IMO Enterprise did pretty well. This show looks like they just decided to completely go their own direction.

The phaser isn't bad. It does look like the MACO rifle. Still not going to pay to see this though.

I suspect when the big purge came these props probably were too far along to start over or they were committed at that point.
The echoes are there of the originals.

Doug Jones talks about Sense-Death Guy.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/07/19/star-trek-discovery-doug-jones-alien/

Lt. Saru who is a "prey species" from a planet with a "dominant predator species". The "death sense" is heightened survival instinct. And for some reason "prey species" are thought of as cowards in the federation. Which pretty much stomps all over established federation ideals. Also, he's gonna be the Spock-Data.

I don't even know where to start criticizing this.....:behave

MrSouthpaw, yes...extremely lame. Can't wait to see the spin on how a predator species is even in the Federation. What about the predatory species on the same planet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doug Jones talks about Sense-Death Guy.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/07/19/star-trek-discovery-doug-jones-alien/

Lt. Saru who is a "prey species" from a planet with a "dominant predator species". The "death sense" is heightened survival instinct. And for some reason "prey species" are thought of as cowards in the federation. Which pretty much stomps all over established federation ideals. Also, he's gonna be the Spock-Data.

I don't even know where to start criticizing this.....:behave

How does being a bunny rabbit species make one like either of those characters???? "Prey species"? He should have eyes on the side of his head at least. Some writer I guess wanted to flip the "Predator" film series around I guess? Why would the Federation think of ANY species as derogatory a term as "cowards"????

9n1nu1_3.jpg

I think the Spock/Data comment was to suggest that he's in the Outsider role, the non-human character that justifies letting the writers discuss humanity without it being weird. Farscape reversed it by having only a single human, but it worked just the same.

If the "dominant predator species" isn't sentient, I would expect the "prey" species would have eventually turned around and destroyed or domesticated them. (If humans lived in the ocean, we'd either have no sharks, or pet sharks.)

I think the Spock/Data comment was to suggest that he's in the Outsider role, the non-human character that justifies letting the writers discuss humanity without it being weird. Farscape reversed it by having only a single human, but it worked just the same.

If the "dominant predator species" isn't sentient, I would expect the "prey" species would have eventually turned around and destroyed or domesticated them. (If humans lived in the ocean, we'd either have no sharks, or pet sharks.)

The outsider character makes sense, If not done to death on Trek, and Trek is full of alien characters that were not outsiders so just being an alien isn't enough.
Though I am feeling like the outsider myself lately.

If the predator species is sentient than it's a bit crazy town given this new guy is clearly intelligent. So only one intelligent species from the planet gets to join Starfleet because the other hunts them down?

The predators are still around according to the EW article. Which makes it all the more problematic. Are the predators sentient? How did prey get into space?

Wasn't there an episode of ENT with two sentient species on the same planet and they state it's against Starfleet policy to interfere? Possibly a Phlox-heavy episode.

I think Jones is specifically talking about attributes and mannerisms when he says his character is a Spock-Data type. That is how the EW article reads.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back