Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
It's still a complete cluster****. I'm watching to the end of the season, only so I can review the season in it's entirety for the horrible piece of **** that it is. And no, CBS isn't making a bloody penny off of me.

Mm. So much for any Prime Timeline assertions. This was what the Defiant looked like in TOS:

old_tw_02.jpg

old_tw_03.jpg

Not this:

orca-image-1515375575103.jpg951515375575472.jpg

And if the argument is that it's the Mirror Universe, it's not the Prime Mirror Universe, as those ships had an I.S.S. header, not U.S.S. *sigh*

A lot of people are saying this is the best episode yet. And they're not wrong. But less fail is still fail. *shrug*

--Jonah

Only a hundred years. ;) Enterprise was in the 2150s, and Discovery is in the 2250s. Still doesn't explain why it wasn't changed to I.S.S. like the other Terran Empire ships.

Not being a huge fan of Discovery... DISCOVERY- not DISCO (seriously, is it totes so hard to say the full name?) , but still watch it because I need something Star Trek.

Anyway. My initial reaction with the Discovery database display, was: WTF???

But it can be reconciled.

The Defiant in TOS phased in and out. At that point, it still hadn't been captured and transferred to Tholian control in the past.

Defiant phases completely out of TOS time to Enterprise time 100 years prior.

Defiant captured by Terran Empire, eventually the tech is reversed engineered. I'd bet it took about 50 years. They copy the now ISS Defiant design for some of their ships (as clearly shown in TOS Mirror Mirror Enterprise).

I would say that during the reverse engineering process, and prior to the mirror connies being rolled out, ISS Defiant is damaged and modified with contemporary tech. That results in the silly display in Discovery showing the cut outs and stupid bent nacelle struts with what must be some kind of PHASE Canons.

That's how I explain it to myself and how it can fit into this Discovery series.

Mm. So much for any Prime Timeline assertions. This was what the Defiant looked like in TOS:

https://scifanatic-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/tholianweb/old_tw_02.jpg
https://scifanatic-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/tholianweb/old_tw_03.jpg

Not this:

View attachment 785925

And if the argument is that it's the Mirror Universe, it's not the Prime Mirror Universe, as those ships had an I.S.S. header, not U.S.S. *sigh*

A lot of people are saying this is the best episode yet. And they're not wrong. But less fail is still fail. *shrug*

--Jonah

Why change a design that’s been shown in not one but TWO different shows !?!?

They didn't change the design shown in the other two shows. I'm suspecting this ISS Connie was modified- and we're seeing the results of it having been in the mirror universe for 80 odd years at the point of Discovery.

The Defiant shown in TOS hadn't been fully captured yet. It was still in a flux of phasing in and out of TOS universe.

And when Enterprise mirror era got her, she still looked like the our TOS Defiant, because she hadn't been stripped down and reversed engineered yet.

Don't make me defend Discovery! I feel dirty. But there is a rational explanation for what we saw.

Why change a design that’s been shown in not one but TWO different shows !?!?

Because they don't know what the design was, nor do they care. Like Discovery has done several times, they just cherry pick elements out of past shows, probably something they got from a Google search, and throw words into the show in a desperate attempt to appeal to existing fans. They have no clue about the details, they don't know anything about the past, they're just trying to sound vaguely similar and con the gullible.

Attributing them any good will is foolish. They haven't earned any.

I totally understand why ST-Fans don't like the show, but I only liked a few episodes of all the shows from TOS to ENT. ST series often had a narration i didn't like with way too much explaining and after TOS with only a few interesting characters, IMHO.

Discovery is avaible on Netflix over here, so I'm in since the beginning and I'm really enjoying it. There were weak episodes, like the one with Michael, Tyler and Saru on that planet with the small blue flying LED life forms. But overall this is the ST series I like the most.

Because they don't know what the design was, nor do they care. Like Discovery has done several times, they just cherry pick elements out of past shows, probably something they got from a Google search, and throw words into the show in a desperate attempt to appeal to existing fans. They have no clue about the details, they don't know anything about the past, they're just trying to sound vaguely similar and con the gullible.

Attributing them any good will is foolish. They haven't earned any.

I pointed this out before, but it is absurd to say they are blind, don’t know, or have no idea what Star Trek was. Look at the pedigree of the people making the show, they know their Trek.

It’s not that they don’t know, it’s that they don’t care.

I’m having much the same reaction as I did to TLJ. I don’t think it’s great, it has problems, but it’s... all right. But the absolute breakdown of fandom wHo can’t deal with the creators being less than precious with their baby is so ridiculous and annoying that I’m all for them breaking it as much as possible.

Every alternate universe episode on all the Treks finds me groaning and rolling my eyes....I can't help it...I just find the whole concept a giant copout to central storytelling.

Same here. I've NEVER liked alt universe stories cause nothing's ever really at risk. I think the Mirror Universe is cheesy--

That said, this has been my favorite take on just for their badass costumes.

Part of me thinks if they had just made THIS the show-- like episode 1 they get stuck in the mirrorverse for the length of the show-- that would be fun... maybe.

http://comicbook.com/startrek/2018/01/13/star-trek-discovery-gay-character-death-GLAAD-blessing/

Star Trek: Discovery killed off one of its prominent gay characters, but showrunners Aaron Harberts and Gretchen J. Berg were adamant the series avoid the "bury your gays" trope: the producers ran the death past GLAAD, receiving the organization's blessing.

I don't remember them asking Asian groups if they could kill Georgiou. In fact they managed to kill two characters with ancestry from Asia. Landry was Indian.

Why is this courtesy not afforded to other groups on the show?

Last edited:
Asking from political activist groups for "permission" to make creative changes?

WOW. That's quite an interesting thing isn't it. What if they said no?

I"d like to hope, HOPE that there are artists and writers that will speak up against this kind of thing
for pretty obvious reasons.

What other political activist groups should have creative powers that override artists?

I GET believe me that most writers in LA are on the left but does it not occur to them what they are
doing there????!

Voluntary or not.
OR is there serious SJW pressure to comply?

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back