Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
I'm guessing no one is too interested in the latest episode since there are no comments on it. The only thing I will say is I'm not surprised a Star Fleet Admiral fell for her BS but I'm really surprised Sarek did.

Yeah I just watched it and its back to ST: Dumbassery. Stupid character decisions, stupid science and stupid plans. They're going to to jump into a planet. Oh FFS!!!

PS Lots of tears though. I've never known a ST series in which there is so much crying.

I'm interested, and quite excited for the season finale. I just don't see much point in discussing it here. Too many Debbie Downers who can't seem to enjoy much of anything. I wish it wasn't so.

There is plenty of intelligent discussion elsewhere, with plenty of like-minded people who are capable of enjoying the show, so you just have to go where the getting is good.

I'm interested, and quite excited for the season finale. I just don't see much point in discussing it here. Too many Debbie Downers who can't seem to enjoy much of anything. I wish it wasn't so.

There is plenty of intelligent discussion elsewhere, with plenty of like-minded people who are capable of enjoying the show, so you just have to go where the getting is good.

Where are these positive discussions taking place? All RPF now is Debbie downers. It’s depressing to come here lol but it has always been my one stop for movie stuff.
Point me in a positive direction

Better to be a Debbie Downer than an Undiscerning Ursula.

Ah, I think you hit the nail right on the head there.

So, it is an elitist thing. Got it. Some nerds are higher level nerds than others, and need to advertise that by crapping on anything new that does not entertain them as much as their favorite franchise did for them when they were under the age of 12. They are uber-nerds, far superior to the masses of low-brow mainstream nerds. How can you spot them? Just like vegans, they will be sure to tell you! Next, we will be evaluating an individual's STIQ, and denying them entry to Star Trek MENSA.

Y'all have fun with that... I'm going to go slumming with the lesser nerds that actually enjoy stuff. Life is too short for fanaticism gone too far.

We're talking about a TV show here. It is entertainment. Star Trek is not, and has never been, high art, no matter how much any of us have enjoyed it, or for how long. TOS was a low budget TV show at that, with cheap sets, camera shaking while actors lean, and all sorts of cheesy plot lines in episodes like "Spock's Brain" or "The Way to Eden". Continuity problems abound. Even the oldest of us were just kids when it originally aired, or watching re-runs of it in the 70s, and experienced it through different eyes and minds, in a different time. It had plenty of aspects that were great as well, which is why it has become a franchise lasting over 50 years now, but it isn't Shakespeare, and should not be treated as such, at least, in my opinion.

The various Star Trek TV series and movies since have been largely hit and miss, hence the old odd and even movie rule that some of us will remember. You just have to take the good with the bad, and enjoy them all for what they are. Picking apart all the aspects that we might not agree with as individuals is fine, but it goes overboard when it gets taken too seriously, becoming more like religion than the entertainment that it was intended to be.

I love ST:TMP, despite all the flaws. I can laugh at the flaws, and still like a thing. These folks sure seem to have a healthy attitude about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8QClFbROf4

Discovery isn't any more or less perfect than any other iteration of Star Trek ever has been. Not too many years ago, after Enterprise was cancelled, many feared that it was the last Star Trek show we would ever get. Love them or hate them, the JJ films are the whole reason we are getting another Star Trek series now, and with bigger production budgets than ever before. Likewise, we are seeing more evolution from Discovery than we have ever seen from any of the previous series. So far, I have grown to really enjoy it.

For those that don't enjoy it, that is fine too. However, why continue watching it, and then come here to gripe about it, or look down your nose at others who do enjoy it? I think such behavior says much more about the individual than it does about the TV show.

Once upon a time, anybody interested in science fiction would have been described as "undiscerning" by many. I'm betting Sir Alec Guinness would have been just as likely to have a low opinion of Star Trek as he did when filming that silly space fantasy movie that became Star Wars.

https://i.imgur.com/QxrqHAE.jpg

Here is a silly stupid prop if you ever need to make a "Queen ship" Jeffery tube.
Visible at the far right is a SimpleHuman Grocery Bag Dispenser. Installed up-side down, probably with a Tap-Light inside. I noticed it immediately in the scene just because I just bought one and put in my kitchen.

-----------

As far as this show... I don't even get why I am still watching. Only because it is "Star Trek" I guess. I can't believe how forced every single scene feels. There is zero humor, zero (unforced) chemistry between characters, and zero consistency. All of the science has been thrown out the window in favor of what is literally magical pixey dust.

The only thing saving StarTrek this year for me is Orville. Thank god for Seth MacFarlane.

Should just make a TV show based on the book RED SHIRTS

For those that need to be warned

As finalies go that was truely and hilariously disappointing. Did the budget run out?
Basically it all came down to;

"Lets all hug and give eachother lots of encouragement and medals".

And MIcheal saves everyone again by going with her heart and convincing the previously most evil characters in her universe to do the same. I have come to appreciate this series as a shining example of what is really killing off good television.

Oh and bye bye spore drive. They toasted that with a single sentance.

And this is not JJ universe, there is an appearance at the end of the Enterprise but its not anybodies inparticular but it is a close mix of many that have gone before.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back