Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
That's... Spock... *dies a little more inside*

I gave the first season a chance and despite a lot of horrible things that made it absolutely not Trek proper, found it... entertaining. First impressions of the new-old Enterprise and Ethan Peck gave me some hope that it would be OK. But, look at that boy-band hair and beard. I wouldn't be surprised if it just looks scruffy for some plot reason and that he actually has the correct haircut most of the time, and they just released this image to troll old-school fans and get them riled up.

Jim Henson's Star Trek Babies

also:

Attachments

• 43290976_10217641083927557_287416651647811584_n.jpg
    43290976_10217641083927557_287416651647811584_n.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 123
And now with hair!
star-trek-discovery-l-rell-1140176.jpeg

Mary Chieffo (who plays L'rell): “You might have noticed in the trailer, there is a bit of a new aesthetic going on and that is a really exciting addition that has been made and is inspired by Glenn Hetrick, who is our designer and a huge Trek fan himself,” Chieffo said during the Star Trek: Discovery NYCC panel. “He was inspired by season six, episode 23 of The Next Generation, ‘Rightful Heir.’ There is a reference when Kahless is brought back as a clone. The way he proves himself is he tells the story of how he cut off a lock of his hair and dipped it into a volcano and made the first bat’leth, with which he killed Molor, the terrible tyrant who was running Qo’noS at the time.

“So, in the spirit of Discovery, we took that one little beautiful seed that was planted from an earlier iteration and kind of expanded on that, and we see that in a time of war the Klingons would shave their heads, and in a time of peace, we start to grow it back out. I really love the symbolism of that.”

And now with hair!
View attachment 850129

Mary Chieffo (who plays L'rell): “You might have noticed in the trailer, there is a bit of a new aesthetic going on and that is a really exciting addition that has been made and is inspired by Glenn Hetrick, who is our designer and a huge Trek fan himself,” Chieffo said during the Star Trek: Discovery NYCC panel. “He was inspired by season six, episode 23 of The Next Generation, ‘Rightful Heir.’ There is a reference when Kahless is brought back as a clone. The way he proves himself is he tells the story of how he cut off a lock of his hair and dipped it into a volcano and made the first bat’leth, with which he killed Molor, the terrible tyrant who was running Qo’noS at the time.

“So, in the spirit of Discovery, we took that one little beautiful seed that was planted from an earlier iteration and kind of expanded on that, and we see that in a time of war the Klingons would shave their heads, and in a time of peace, we start to grow it back out. I really love the symbolism of that.”

Except for the time when the Klingon Empire went to war once again with the Federation during DS9's run, which had Worf join the crew. I guess by then Klingon's gave less care to tradition.

Except for the time when the Klingon Empire went to war once again with the Federation during DS9's run, which had Worf join the crew. I guess by then Klingon's gave less care to tradition.

Exactly. They made bald Klingons because that's what they wanted, canon be damned. People complained, so now they've added hair to try to please them and made up a BS story to explain the change which breaks canon again. We have never seen Klingons shave their heads during war time. We have never seen Klingons eat their fallen enemies, only a brief mention of eating the heart of an enemy which was a personal revenge thing not a war tradition. And now we have a story set before the events of "The Cage" when it's already been established that season 1 took place a couple years after.

Far too little, far too late. This show deviates so far from Trek in every regard that there's nothing they could do at this point that would make me accept it as prime universe Trek.

I think the biggest problem with the first season is that like many shows that only do a limited run per season, 10 or 12 episodes, most if not all are done before the first one is even broadcast and they start getting feedback from the viewers. This means that if they really **** it up like STD did there is nothing they can do to fix it until the next season and I really hope they fix it because they really did **** it up in season 1.

Did anyone see Trekyards latest on the new Enterprise? How essentially all the odd elements on it, if removed, make it look more like TOS Enterprise...

I.e.: the Falcon

Klingon hair grows quickly! From clean shaven to down her back in a year!

Not hating the Enterprise. The design looks nice to me. The only Enterprise I've hated was the E.

It's funny how the producers of Discovery basically told the fans with season one, "Screw you all, we're in charge! This is Trek now and you'll love it." To going into the second season with, "Oops, well, that was a mistake. We're going to give you the Trek you want, please come back!"

I just want them to NEVER drop an F-bomb on Trek again! NEVER! That is so against the spirit of Trek that I was offended by it!

Saw the first season on disc at Walmart the other day. Thought about buying it as I've never seen it, but couldn't bring myself to doing it. Is it worth watching?

Saw the first season on disc at Walmart the other day. Thought about buying it as I've never seen it, but couldn't bring myself to doing it. Is it worth watching?

As far as I'm concerned it is only worth watching if you don't care about anything that ever happened in Star Trek before STD as they play loose and fast with cannon.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back