Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
I didn't mind the enterprise, its further truth that the timeline has changed, thanks to time travel in voyager and enterprise.

I wonder if Spock is on board.

I also wonder if season two will be an entirely different crew in a different time period.

Sent from my BLU LIFE MARK using Tapatalk

Other than the last shot, and I'm not sure how I feel about the design, that was a stupid ending to the season and agree with everything CutThumb said above. At least I can now cancel my subscription to All Abscess as there is nothing else I want to watch on it. If need be I can always pick it up again for the next run if it is any better than this year, which shouldn't be hard to do.

I didn't mind the enterprise, its further truth that the timeline has changed, thanks to time travel in voyager and enterprise.

I wonder if Spock is on board.

I also wonder if season two will be an entirely different crew in a different time period.

Hopefully, this crew was crap.

Mixed bag for me.

I agree that it was crazy anti-climactic. I think we knew they ran out of money 5 episodes ago.

I keep coming back to the same thing-- I think this show looks cool, and I actually really like the characters--it's always placing this as Trek that it falls apart for me. Once agin I found myself wishing for a Mass Effect TV show. If this was that, or something original, I'd be in. It's purely in working within Star Trek canon (and obliterating it) that all my issues lay.

I thought the Enterprise looked cool-- but yeah, not Prime or JJverse.

When I first saw the Enterprise I thought that they were using the original design, which I was thrilled about, but as it got closer and closer you could see it was different but not in the bloated sense of the JJPrise.

If it had been the original TOS design I would have been even more up in arms over continuity I think. It makes me think again that narratively, they show-makers feel this IS the Prime-verse, just with a visual reboot... which might make sense if you look at the NX-01 and use that as a starting point for ship design... (even though Enterprise showed a the defiant as classic TOS style). Oy.

Anyway, this designed matched the look of the show, and I liked it WAY better than the JJ-prise which I hate witgh a passion.

None of them can compare to the TMP refit though.

If it had been the original TOS design I would have been even more up in arms over continuity I think. It makes me think again that narratively, they show-makers feel this IS the Prime-verse, just with a visual reboot... which might make sense if you look at the NX-01 and use that as a starting point for ship design... (even though Enterprise showed a the defiant as classic TOS style). Oy.

Anyway, this designed matched the look of the show, and I liked it WAY better than the JJ-prise which I hate witgh a passion.

Maybe the "feel" that but their characters do not behave like prime-verse earthers as we have come to know
them over many series. So even that doesn't make it fit. I think they just don't give a phook, as JJ did not.

This show just had me shaking my head throughout the entire fracking season. So many things made no sense in the Trek world, were without logical progression and seemed like nothing so much as sensational posturing. It’s like a teenager wrote this thing. It was trying too hard to be edgy and every character was like a cartooned cliché…so little regard for what went before and what took decades to establish. There was virtually none of the humor that kept all the serious ideas in perspective that Trek has been known for. I didn’t feel connected to most of the characters the way any well-written storyline creates. Most of them were barely likable, with a few exceptions.

I did love seeing Clint Howard again….He has more charisma in his little finger than most of the characters in this show, and he was the only light moment in the entire season. I loved it.

I agree, the best scene in this episode was seeing them meeting up with the original Enterprise, (I have no problem with a slightly re-imagine Enterprise), but it was 10 seconds in 15 hours of over-blown, convoluted dross.

I’m not saying I won’t watch a next season if there is one….I wouldn’t be able to help myself I think – it’s Trek…but I sure hope they do better with their stories than they did with this. What a missed opportunity.

To me, this looks like a median design that splits the difference between TOS and Refit with a few mild updates here and there as well.
I like it and am curious as to their scale for it.. it looks similar in scale to Discovery and that would mean that she's at least somewhat bigger than the Enterprise that we know.

Edit: What are the odds that we'll be able to get someone like Ray Liotta as Pike?
(Dream casting IMO)

Yeah, I finally got around to watching the last episode, it's been at the dead bottom of my watch pile, and... yeah, that sucked. I think they realized how screwed up they made the whole show and threw in the Enterprise as a peace offering, but it's just too little, too late.

I read a recent interview with the producers who said next season they plan on tying everything into the prime universe and explain all of the things the fans have been complaining about, that is going to take a lot of work.

I read a recent interview with the producers who said next season they plan on tying everything into the prime universe and explain all of the things the fans have been complaining about, that is going to take a lot of work.

That would probably end up even worse than what they attempted in S4 of Enterprise, with stories such as the Klingon foreheads etc.

The only thing that would even work is designating this an alternate timeline of the prime universe created by [choose some Trek event that time traveled before TOS and probably affected it], but there's no way it's in the same continuity as TOS > TNG > DS9 > VOY.

After they said THIS season would be prime verse I'm not trusting them.

I'm also realizing at the end of the day, NOTHING in the story intrinsically said it had to be a prequel. Pretty much everything could have stood and actually made more sense if this was the 26th century. Outside of Sarek and The Defiant (neither of which ultimately effected the story) there was nothing here at all tying it to the past. I'd wager it might have even made MORE sense had it been post TNG/DS9/VOY

Last edited:
After they said THIS season would be prime verse I'm not trusting them.

I'm also realizing at the end of the day, NOTHING in the story intrinsically said it had to be a prequel. Pretty much everything could have stood and actually made more sense if this was the 26th century. Outside of Sarek and The Defiant (neither of which ultimately effected the story) there was nothing here at all tying it to the past. I'd wager it might have even made MORE sense had it been post TNG/DS9/VOY

As we have now learned they were trying to woo Star Trek fans by saying it was the Prime universe just before Kirk's time. That plan backfired on them because there was nothing to suggest this timeline had anything to do with the timeline we were familiar with and now they are trying to say they will answer all of our questions and issues next season. I'm taking that with another grain of salt.

Ironically, if they said Prime Universe, but past the 24th Century, they'd have had scads more people tune in. At this point, the number of hardcore TOS fans is smaller than Niners or TNG Trekkers.

That's it in a nutshell. I love the tech on the show but it just does not fit into 10 years before Kirk. I get the idea that they had to updates things for modern viewers but they took it too far and I'm not even going to get into the damn spore drive.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back